Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Troubleshooting Issues: A/C Condensor replacement - 99 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting Issues: A/C Condensor replacement - 99 Civic EX

I have a 1999 4dr Civic EX and I live in Texas. One of my lines is leaking that connects to the condenser and my condenser looks beat up. Before I buy a replacement condenser and a line for my civic has anyone installed a bigger condenser? I read somewhere that a CRV engine bay is almost like a civic (not really sure, my first Civic) so I thought about using a condenser from a CRV or maybe a Integra. I am only thinking about doing this because a bigger condenser would mean lower cabin temperatures. If any of yall live in Texas and think the little condenser is fine, my question is what is the cabin temperature when it's 100+ Fahrenheit outside?

Last edited by thendi; 04-17-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:21 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default re: Troubleshooting Issues: A/C Condensor replacement - 99 Civic EX

A bigger condenser is not going to do anything for you.

Replace the condenser and dryer, I would also remove the compressor and flush it out, replace the refrigerant oil, [use Ester oil], putting 1/2 in the compressor and 1/2 into the dryer, you should get about 45*F out of the vents. 94
Old 04-18-2016, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 Civic EX Custom A/C

Originally Posted by fcm
A bigger condenser is not going to do anything for you.

Replace the condenser and dryer, I would also remove the compressor and flush it out, replace the refrigerant oil, [use Ester oil], putting 1/2 in the compressor and 1/2 into the dryer, you should get about 45*F out of the vents. 94
My thought is a bigger condenser will have more surface are to cool the refrigerant. I have seen adding a better fan to a condenser can lower the cabin temperature by 3-5 degrees so I am assuming a condenser with more surface area would cool more efficiently than a small one, not really sure. Also, the Honda service manual states to use PAG oil in the system. From my experience Ester oil is used when retrofitting a R12 system to R134a. My Civic is a 99 so it already came with R134a system and I believe my compressor is the Sanden model type as well. I agree with you when I repair my A/C to replace the old dryer as well, who knows how well the desiccant bag in there is.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:19 PM
fcm
Old Fart

We use Ester oil in all the A/C systems we do, Air Wolf Auto Air Conditioning because it is compatible with both R12 and R134a.

Sorry, forgot you only have the 1/2 size condenser, you may gain a small drop in temp, with a full size, but only if you find the correct amount of refrigerant, it will require a little more the stock, maybe you can get the Integra one to fit, may have to get some lines made, [modify the in and out lines to fit/reach the condenser].

Any A/C shop should be able to weld furrals to the aluminum lines and extend them with barrier hose, [AC hose]. 94
Old 04-19-2016, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
We use Ester oil in all the A/C systems we do, Air Wolf Auto Air Conditioning because it is compatible with both R12 and R134a.

Sorry, forgot you only have the 1/2 size condenser, you may gain a small drop in temp, with a full size, but only if you find the correct amount of refrigerant, it will require a little more the stock, maybe you can get the Integra one to fit, may have to get some lines made, [modify the in and out lines to fit/reach the condenser].

Any A/C shop should be able to weld furrals to the aluminum lines and extend them with barrier hose, [AC hose]. 94
So do you think after all the money spent on custom modifications, the drop in temperature will be marginal and not be worth the price?
Old 04-20-2016, 10:56 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Worth it is relative, to me no, to you maybe. 94
Old 04-21-2016, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

the stock system in good working order is more than adequate for cooling. if it's not cooling well enough, it's not in good health.

good quality UV-blocking tint would be a better investment than a customized A/C. summers are pretty brutal in SC too. my 2000 sedan with high quality tint and a well maintained cooling system has no trouble keeping me comfortable.

something i do recommend not matter what you do to your system is to get some stainless mesh to put in front of the condenser and radiator to protect from rocks and road debris. i've had rock punctures in two radiators. you can find it at summit racing. i think it's intended use is for dirt track racing. $13. worth it.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My civic was down for a while but I finally replaced both AC lines and condenser, and then recharged my system at 1.50lbs. The AC blows cold but the discharge line pulses when it's working. My AC guy said this is normal, but I have feeling it's not so any advise would be appreciated, thanks. Also, I added 20mL of PAG oil (condenser replacement), but forgot to add some for replacing the lines so would that be my problem?