Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 em1 having issues, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 em1 having issues, please help!!

What's up guys? I have been around the forums for awhile but just now registered as I really need the help, and yes I have searched and got mixed results from this forum and others.
Ok, so I have a 00 em1. The car had a handful of issues and I have been chipping away at em while daily driving it. Anyhow, the car runs but feels like it kinda breaks up and doesn't run smooth and lacks some power in range below 5k rpm. Once I hit 5k rpm it seems to smooth out and pull better. The car idles right around 1k rpm, but sometimes after driving it a little while ill pull to a stop and it'll be idling at 1600rpm. When it does this if I just barely touch the accelerator it will flutter back and forth between 1600-1800 like its hitting a rev limiter. If I rev it hard it's seems fine. If I cycle the key off and back on quickly it goes away. Eventually comes back tho. Makes it tough to drive at low speeds.
I have replaced the map sensor and cleaned the throttle body as well as the iacv. I have adjusted the idle and reset the ecu and allowed it to learn the new idle correctly. The car still ran rough but didn't give me that issue for like a week. Also seems to run better when cold. I also looked at the plugs and wires visually and they look good. The plugs look just as they should and the wires don't have any noticeable damage or defects.
Fast forward to yesterday. Car was running real rough and when I went to pull in the driveway slowly it stalled. I thought it was me at first and restarted the car. But when I went to press the accelerator it bogs hard and backfired a little and died again. I started it again and inched it into the driveway.
Now if I go to start it it will start right up and the idle is fairly normal, but when I push the accelerator the start moving forward it falls on its face and will die if I don't let go of the accelerator. If I let go it will continue to idle. If I start it and roll off the clutch with no accelerator it will creep forward and not dies, but the more accelerator I give it the more it wants to die. In neutral or with the clutch in I can give it gas and rev it without it dieing. But it still seems rough. Looking around online and talking to friends everyone says dizzy. I am leaning that way but do not wanna spend almost 300 on the wrong part. Just kinda want an opinion from anyone on here that will help. I also have video of the car doing the fluctuating issue like a rev limiter as I was trying to figure that out before it did what it did yesterday and became undriveable. I'll try to upload those now. Sorry for the whole book of a first post, I just wanted to be thorough with my description since nobody can actually see it in person. Thanks for reading if you made it this far and I appreciate any help.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:10 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Default Re: 00 em1 having issues, please help!!

CELs?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It had cels for map, but I replaced it and it went away. It also has cels for both o2 sensors because previous owner unhooked em.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cerealkiiller
I have replaced the map sensor and cleaned the throttle body as well as the iacv
my em1 was doing what yours was in the second video, turned out to be a bad iacv, I noticed you cleaned yours but possibly need a new one altogether
Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Really? Well not it won't even allow me to drive it because when I give it gas if falls on its face and will die. Does that sound about right you think? I'd much rather replace that than a dizzy, it's gotta be cheaper...haha. Thanks for the help also.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anybody else? Sound like I need a iacv or dizzy? I'm pulling my hair out over this...ha.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

did you check timing?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No sir I have not done that yet. But when I first got the car it didn't have either of these problems. Then about after a month it started the issue and then just yesterday got bad enough I can't drive it. If it were out of time wouldn't it have been that way from the get go? The swap supposedly has 15k on it and it does have a new timing belt. Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just went outside and started car, took it up the street and it seems to run normal again, for now. Seems to be intermittent and at its worse yesterday. I'm letting it sit and run to warm up now and see how it runs warm.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe an air leak?
i would try to spray some carb cleaner around throttle body and intake mani to see if idle changes.
it wont hurt to check real quick.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll check that. But it running fine now, so I imagine the air leak wouldn't go away and come back. But I'll check for the hell of it. I took of vid of it running just now so ill upload that. It seems to be what I have come to know as normal from this car since I've owned it.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tried looking for a vacuum leak with no luck.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I may take it and get the codes read again since its running ok.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update. I replaced the iacv with a brand new unit. Seemed to run a little better but this morning while driving through the neighborhood it kept trying to die on me. I cycled the key on and off quick and was able to finish my running around this morning.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So still having this issue. I replaced my iacv with a new one, a new iat sensor, new primary o2 sensor, new knock sensor, new map sensor as well. I went up and had my buddy pull the codes in history for all that and reset them. Now the only code I have is secondary o2 sensor that I will replace soon, but should not effect the way she runs. Now my idle is fluctuating when I come to a stop. It also idling about 1000rpm when not fluctuating. I have reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery and pulling the backup fuse many times. I then let the car sit and idle to learn the idle. After all that I parked it out in the street and before I got out its hitting that false rev limiter again at about 1600 rpm when I barely touch the gas. I'm so frustrated I just wanna set it on fire. Any help is appreciated, I'm going crazy chasing this issue. Car itself does run better tho with the o2 replaced.