Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 ek w b18c1 swap, o2 sensor & knock sensor HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 ek w b18c1 swap, o2 sensor & knock sensor HELP!!!!

Hey, I'm not big on forums and don't really know how they work all that well... but I am having an issue with my o2 and knock sensor, well more like they aren't there. I recently threw a rod in my single and did the GSR swap in my 2000 honda civic ex, I had alot of issues with matching the dizzy up and the wiring harness, now the car runs great but I can't get it past inspection bc the check eng light is on.. the check engine light is on bc my lack of an 02 sensor and a knock sensor.. I have a frankenstein wiring harness that does not have a harness for the o2 sensor and I also have aftermarket headers so I don't have a spot for the o2 sensor, but I was reading up on the 95 acura b18c1 and it says the o2 sensor is mounted to the cat.. so my question is, I guess, can I put the harness for the o2 sensor on myself, and is there even a harness for the knock sensor? I work in a shop but I'm the only import girl here, the guys are all into muscle and aren't really into hondas, but they had an idea to bunge the o2 sensor into the headers? is this really the route I wanna take? PLEASE HELP ME I CANT AFFORD ANY MORE INSPECTION TICKETS!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 ek w b18c1 swap, o2 sensor & knock sensor HELP!!!!

you should buy an engine harness for a 99 Gsr or something so it will plug in and you will have your o2 sensor and knock sensor. It'll cost you less then having to keep getting tickets down the road.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and what exactly do you mean bunge the o2 sensor into the header? The o2 sensor already goes in the header... ??
Old 06-02-2009, 10:35 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

think she's saying she doesn't have a bung in her aftermarket header for the o2.

OP, which O2 sensor are you missing? I'm assuming the secondary, because if the primary was missing, your car would be barely running. How are you missing the secondary wiring? I didn't think it was part of the engine harness, I thought it was part of the car harness. For that matter, why aren't you using the D series harness? I'm assuming it was okay, since you were driving on the D series with no problems.

For a gsr into an 00 civic, the easiest way to do it is to transfer the complete civic harness onto the gsr, and just change over the 2-3 plugs that you need to.

Also, what year B18C1? I thought that some of the earlier ones didn't have knock sensors. I'm almost certain you're not running OBD2b or else you'd be throwing an immobilizer code too.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

true, I didn't think about the aftermarket header.. it would be the secondary o2 sensor then.. The IAB's would have to have been wired in and all too.. but if its just those 2 things that are messed up then it should be an easy fix...
Old 06-02-2009, 12:10 PM

the b18 is out of a 95 teggy... and as far as the 95 not having a knock sensor, why would I be throwing codes for it then? And yes, the aftermarket headers do not have a spot for for the o2 sensor, but reading up on it it says that in the teggy it is supposed to be mounted to the cat.. is this where i should put it? I had alot of issues with finding the right harness for the 0bd2 to 1 setup, at the time i did not know that skunk2 made a jumpdown harness and ended up creating a frankenstein bc i couldnt find the right harness for the dizzy... now i have a frankenstein dizzy as well in the end.. can you buy the stock harness for cheap, any suggestions.. but if i were to do that i think i would have to buy another dizzy as well, but what you all are sayin is if i get the stock harness it will be set up for the sensor? But how would that work with the obd2 setup I have? I know these swaps are supposed to be easy and plug and play, but I had no preperation time, I was not expecting to do a swap for a long long time, when I threw the rod in my single I immediately bought the b18 and jumped right into it.. and even if i do get the harness, i still have no spot for the o2 sensor itself, should i mount it to cat or bunge into headers?? it runs great, just these sensors man, giving me a WHOLE lot of confusion.. if you search Ashley Ataman on myspace there is a million pics of my swap.. my name on myspace is "Im so JDM tein makes my bed springs"... i really do need to know these answers, I'm sick of being pulled over, and I'm not the greatest at forums so all answers are very much appreciated.. THANKS!!!.. :]

Last edited by excoupe00; 06-02-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:51 AM

no answers?
Old 06-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 94 eg civic with a 95 gsr swap and i was having wiring problems as well.. my 02 sensor was not hooked up because the d series 02 sensor comes off the front of the header and the gsr 02 is in front of the cat(not in the cat) so they wouldnt hook up w/o splicing.. also with the d series harness you tend to have plugs left over that dont apply to the gsr motor.. i just bought a obd1 gsr harness uncut off craigslist for $100 and swapped it in last nite.. i would recommend going this route cuz everything just plugged right in and looks way cleaner w no issues... buy the jumper harness as well it will save you alot of problems down the road.. the person who swapped the motor in my car before i bought made a frankenstien harness as well and they just arent as good.. they work but everytime you splice something you lose quality.. also what ecu are you running.. i dont know if you have smog or not but my p28 has the 02 sensor deleted thru the computer so your cel will not come on..
Old 06-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what headers are you running also.. the 02 bung should be at the end of your headers right before the flange that bolts up to the cat..