Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 civic won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 civic won't start

Was on my way home when I heard some odd rumbling as I was braking thought nothing of it but than as I was slowing down for the upcoming light my car just shut off as soon as I braked turned on Immediately that time. I was almost home so I was hoping I could make it home at least so I didn't have to leave my car on the side of the road and it seemed fine but than I braked yet again and it again turned off with a bit of trouble starting it up the only reason it started was cause I was still moving I think but than if I shifted or braked it would just turn off got to the next light which is only maybe 4 miles away from home it just would not start any more I don't know what it could be my engine light is on for a vacuum leak I believe but I don't get paid till Wednesday so had no way of fixing it till than other than that I had all other problems fixed. The only sound the car makes when I turn the ignition is a clicking sound. Please help me I have to go to work tomorrow and don't know what to do
Old 11-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Troubles with my 2000 Honda civic e

I am worried because I am not very good with cars and the only thing going through my mind is that my engine is messed up and I dont have a car anymore
Old 11-17-2013, 01:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Is the car home or on the road?
Sounds like an iacv problem. If you are only hearing a click this is what could've happened.

Your iacv crapped out
You flooded the motor trying to start it
You killed the battery trying to start the flooded motor

Recharge your battery or swap in another and check if it starts if it doesn't look for

Spark
Compression
Air
Fuel timing

You need those 5 things to start a motor
Old 11-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Is the car home or on the road?
Sounds like an iacv problem. If you are only hearing a click this is what could've happened.

Your iacv crapped out
You flooded the motor trying to start it
You killed the battery trying to start the flooded motor

Recharge your battery or swap in another and check if it starts if it doesn't look for

Spark
Compression
Air
Fuel timing

You need those 5 things to start a motor
I just brought it home my moms husband had to pull it home for me when we tried to start it the engine mad a horrible noise I don'tknow how to describe it and than after that it wouldnt turn on the battery died.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 00 civic won't start

this is sort of the sound it made before it wouldnt turn on any more but the whole iacv thing sounds about right because when it would turn on the and itd idle the rpms dropped and than it turned off so I dont know if the 2 have any thing to do with each other im really worried dont really want to start my car again but I did not hear the noise ong enough for me to be certain thats the one that matches it.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Trial User

I don't know if thats the exact sound but its the one that was close tomorrow Im going to take a video when my moms husband friend comes to check it out.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Trial User

I have one last bit I can throw in that may make sense my oil light did come on earlier today but I couldnt do anything about it cause I am broke till wednesday and the weather did start getting cold and I dont know much about cars so I don't want to actlike I know something cause I don't but would that have effected my motor??
Old 11-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the oil light came on when driving and the car was continued to be driven its time for a new motor. When the oil light comes on IMMEDIATELY stop the engine. Im guessing it spun a rod bearing. My buddys ex did it when he ran his out of oil. I told him to check it when VTEC wouldnt engage.