Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'00 civic Si upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 civic Si upgrades?

i got this car about 3 months ago and i was wondering if i should go all motor on the b16 (considerin i live in florida) im not looking to go too crazy on it but i was thinking cams, springs and retainers, maybe high comp pistons.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '00 civic Si upgrades? (jason007)

FIRSTSECURITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then suspension.

Then, i'd say boost because it's more for your money. And why all motor considering you in florida? Worried about keeping a/c?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NA is a ton of fun. Now everyone's going to chime in saying it's a waste of time and that your B16 is the same as a D16 and boost is wayyyy better for everything or whatever else.

NA is good if you want a nice, reliable, fun-without-worries type of setup. It's obviously not going to make turbo power.

I love NA. I've had a SR20DET S13 and it was awesome (however, I dont really miss it). But I really loved my B16 hatchbox daily driver (i miss it so much that I wanna punch a baby). Both cars were a ton of fun, but i guess i'm just an NA guy.

Your idea of cams and bolt ons is right on. It's tried and true. Look to make about 160-180 whp with a real nice setup. Again, it's not a lot of power, but it works well. ITBs are a real nice power adder as well. The possibilities are endless, man. You could do all kinds of things to that motor.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would go with suspention first. I ahd the same car. Crash it 3 times before I understood that power does not helps if you can control it. But if you want to lear the hard way msd sci and blaster ss coil, cai, h, 2.5 exhaust were the more power gaining mods I did.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:10 AM

Default Re: '00 civic Si upgrades? (carloselpavo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carloselpavo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would go with suspention first. I ahd the same car. Crash it 3 times before I understood that power does not helps if you can control it. But if you want to lear the hard way msd sci and blaster ss coil, cai, h, 2.5 exhaust were the more power gaining mods I did.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well dude you probably only added maybe 10 or so HP. I dont think that the huge power was the problem in crashing the car. Driver error is unfixable with parts. In the end YOURE driving the car. You shouldn't let the car drive you or fool yourself into believing that suspension parts by themselves will make you safer. Most of the time, they just make people drive faster....which means that when they finally go beyond their limit, it will be at a faster speed.

Dont get me wrong, I love suspension tuning. I roadrace. A lot. My S2000 averages 1 track day a month.

The 00 Si has pretty competent handling. Most people dont even know how to properly set up suspensions. Suspension tuning is a lot harder than engine tuning. A badly set up modded suspension on a car like the Si will be much slower and shittier than a stock suspension. Just like a badly modded motor will be slower than stock. Same concept.

So i'd say to the OP: build a well balanced car. One that looks good, drives and rides nice, retains desirable functions, and has more (controllable) power than stock. Do real research before you mod. Learn what you're doing and how it is going to affect the car before you touch anything on the suspension. Dont buy parts without knowing their function. People always make that mistake with suspensions. lol it's like buying an unidentified part for your motor that you dont know the function of.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:01 AM

im working on the suspension already cuz the guy that had it b4 me really f**ked it up, it didnt even have swaybar links when i got it, but i fixed that and yesterday i received the skunk2 lowering springs an sport shocks today im suppossed to get the camber kit and in a couple days the axles and tires. i dont have compressor, condenser or lines only the evap, but i want a NA motor just bcause everybody around where ui live has turbod hatchs or b20/b16 hydros.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: (jason007)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jason007 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im working on the suspension already cuz the guy that had it b4 me really f**ked it up, it didnt even have swaybar links when i got it, but i fixed that and yesterday i received the skunk2 lowering springs an sport shocks today im suppossed to get the camber kit and in a couple days the axles and tires. i dont have compressor, condenser or lines only the evap, but i want a NA motor just bcause everybody around where ui live has turbod hatchs or b20/b16 hydros.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well just make sure you clock the bushings before you put the car back down. or you'll tear them and then spend 8 hours and billions of dollars trying to put new ones in (OEM bushings can be expensive). You probably dont need the camber kit. Camber isnt a high tire wear angle. Toe is. Make sure you get the car aligned after you lower it whether or not you put on the camber kit.

NA is fun, and it's definitely the way I roll....but prepare to be slower than everyone lol.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:17 PM

http://www.importtuner.com/pow....html
http://www.importtuner.com/pow....html

Here are two very good reads for any EM1 owner!! They have proven dyno results of what gains you can expect from CAI, header, cat-back exhaust, cams, cam gears, FPR, etc. It will give you an idea of what to expect. Just know it is hard to get more naturally asperated HP out of a small displacement motor that already puts out 100HP per liter without spending lots and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$.