Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 civic si sunroof problem

Old 04-19-2009, 10:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 civic si sunroof problem

goes up at an angle with no problem

then i have 2 major problems.
when trying to bring it back down to the normal position the pass. side doesnt go down i have to stick my finger in the little latch to force it down.and the 2nd major problem is that it doesnt go backwards.i took it to the honda dealership,they said 500 for parts and 500 for labor.sorry but not going to pay 1000 dollars for a sunroof setup in a 10 yr old car.when trying to get my sunroof to open up/go back only the driver side partly opens up.how do i get it to open?do i need a whole new sunroof motor or watsup??any help on this please.
cost?
do it myself?
parts?
how long to fix this on my own??

PM ME IF ANYTHING
Old 04-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 civic si sunroof problem

not sure what the problem is, but ive got a whole sunroof assembly out of a 2000 EM1 if you need parts, or the whole assembly. just shout me a holla. but if i had to guess what it was, it is probably just the effect of time, and wear and tear. how often do you use it? mine in my 99 em1 works perfect, however, i never open and close it and when i do, its not for long. anyways, let me know if u need somethin and ill hook u up
Old 04-20-2009, 02:03 AM
JHP
Honda-Tech Member

Ive taken a couple of civic sunroofs apart at the junkyard to see how they work. They dont really seem too complicated. Maybe its come off the rails or something is stuck in it. Its not hard to take apart but it is EXTREMLY heavy. Get help if you do plan on opening it up.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

k koo thanks 4 all the help.and i wish i cud get ur sunroof setup but u stay in VA and in CA kinda far.maybe it did jus come off track or sumthin cause the motor still works and sounds like it wants to open up my sunroof but sumthin is blocking it or something.so ya i mean maybe my mechanic can jus put it bak on track.cause i had a 00 em1 last yr at this time also(a blue 1 r.i.p) and the runroof worked fine.i dont think a 9 yr old sunroof is gunna start messin it already right??i mean i could be wrong but 9 yr old sunroof already with wear and tear.i know ppl with eg ex coupes and their sunroofs work fine and they are in cars like 17 years old already.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still goes back to usage... drivers door for example, my handle has broken, window out of track multitudes of times, even got so bad out of track(bent track) that it actually busted the window. Looking back at the same time, the driver door is the one that is opened every single time the car is used so things wear out quicker. so if the sunroof is always being opened and closed, theres a good chance it could have worn itself out of track. def have your mechanic look at it if your not comfortable messin with it. yeah and shippin a sunroof assembly to cali would def be out the @$$! good luck man
Old 04-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9/10 it's just the track it's off. Go ahead and grab a helms manual. If you need one i got one, if you're in socal ill let you grab mines it's full of detail as to how to install and remove.

Off the top of my head a number of things may have happen..

Possibly water on the track causing the lil bearring or wheel of the sunroof to just not slide

Possibly a leaf or a nut from a tree got into it and is blocking the lil wheel or bearring.

could be a number of things, I've never really heard of a sunroof not working do to old age and i've have 7 honda's so far and all sunroof work no matter the condition.

I think if you just tampered with it removed the headliner safely and look in and around it you'll see what it may be. Possibly the track is bent so it wont fit on the track.

Just let me know PM me iff you need the helms manual. Dont pay that much to get it fixed bro. not for a damn sunroof it's nothing.