Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 Civic lx -- Midas says the thermal protector for the A/C compressor is bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:11 AM
rvs
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Civic lx -- Midas says the thermal protector for the A/C compressor is bad

Hi,

My a/c periodically (when its hot outside), stops blowing cool air. Air does come out but its not cool . Then after 20 mins sometimes cool air resumes (and it is very cool) and so on.

Took it to a Midas. They first said we needed to recharge the a/c (was charged 140 dollars after discounts). The problem still existed. Took it back , now they are telling me some sensor on the compressor is malfunctioning. They have to replace the entire compressor since the fuse is integrated into the compressor. They willl also have to replace the filter and recharge again. So the cost will be 800 dollars (in addition to the 140 they already charged me).

Can the sensor be replaced without replacing the a/c compressor? Is it really integrated into the a/c?
Is the cost reasonable?

My car make and model=> honda civic lx 2000 (sedan)

Appreciate any advice in this regard.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 00 Civic lx -- Midas says the thermal protector for the A/C compressor is bad

The thermal switch is replaceable, I am not sure if a good way to test it. I am more inclined to think the clutches are going on the compressor.

After 12 years you can replace the compressor it will have the clutches and and a thermal switch installed. The dryer needs to be done as well, I assume the qoute includes that.

I would tell them to credit you the $140 for the work since it still is not right towards the $800.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 00 Civic lx -- Midas says the thermal protector for the A/C compressor is bad

As usual, Midas is full of baloney. Avoid ever taking your car there.

The thermal protector is replaceable without removing the compressor:

Name:  picture_6866.jpg
Views: 5212
Size:  26.8 KB

However, it would be a mistake to believe Midas' diagnosis, so you need to do the troubleshooting yourself.

Here's where to start. When the A/C blows warm:

1) Does the condenser fan fail to run?
2) Does the compressor clutch fail to engage?
3) Both 1 and 2?

If the fan runs, but the clutch fails to engage, then do this troubleshooting when the A/C blows warm:

Name:  picture_6867.jpg
Views: 2149
Size:  46.6 KB

Name:  picture_6868.jpg
Views: 2170
Size:  28.1 KB
Old 07-07-2012, 09:13 AM
rvs
Trial User

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response (really appreciate it).
If its not already obvious.. i am not too "car savvy".

I'll try to troubleshoot as suggested by Ron.

I do have a question, if i have to replace the thermal protector sensor how much does it generally cost (i probably have to get it done from a professional.. since when it comes to cars i am handicapped).
My car is 12 plus years old and if the cost is comparable to that of replacing the
compressor, i might consider replacing the compressor.
But based on what Ron said maybe it might not be as costly.

Apppreciate your inputs.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The thermal protector costs about $40 (not including shipping and handling) at the Majestic Honda site. But don't replace anything until you have done some basic troubleshooting. It would be unwise to trust Midas' diagnosis as I doubt that they did any troubleshooting.

If you have any questions about how to do the troubleshooting in the diagram (assuming option 2 is correct), just post specific questions.

Therefore, first tell us whether the compressor fails to engage, the fan fails to run, or both when the A/C blows warm. This key information is critical for directing all subsequent troubleshooting.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok first an ac recharge should be about 60 to 80 dollars. When they remove the gas from the ac system the machine removes the air then puts it in a storage tank and when they recharge it the old gas goes back into the system. Unless there doing it the way they did it 20 years ago and then you need to look somewhere else. There are new machine out like robin air machines that filter and reuse fluid unless it's very bad which yours should not be. You need to find a new shop because even with a new compressor and orifice tube and dryer and recharge you are looking at about 500 to 600 bucks. Only time it gets into the 800 range is if I have to pull an evap core and most times means I have to pull the dash.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:43 AM
rvs
Trial User

Just picked my car back from the midas shop. Told them i didnt want to replace the compressor yet. The guy was trying to tell me that there maybe more things wrong with the compressor now .... the coil is heating up ...other things are heating up... blah blah...(even though on the phone he said the sensor was the issue)...
Ironically the ac was working fine while i was driving back from midas.....(but im sure it will konk out later)....

Its too hot right now (100F .. cincinnati ohio). Will do the tests recommended a little later in the day / early tomorrow, when there is less chance of dying of heat stroke. Will post finding tomorrow first thing.

Thanks for all the guidance..... Will be eternally grateful if folks could check back tomorrow and weigh in once i check the things Ron recommended.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My guess at this point is that the gap between the pulley and armature plate of the compressor clutch is too wide and needs to be re-shimmed. But ignore this guess until you gather more information.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wonder what happened with this guy's car? I was just googling' 'A/C Thermal Protector' and this thread came up...

Be nice to know what happened, if he got his A/C to work or not?