Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 civic with GSR, clutch and engine problems ...Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:46 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 civic with GSR, clutch and engine problems ...Please help

Hello everyone. I heard this is the best forum to ask a question and wanted to see if someone can help me out.

I have a 00 civic with GSR swap (B18C1). There are a couple of things that I noticed about the car that I am worried about.

1) Got a missfire in cylinder 4. Changes spark plugs, wires, etc., but still comes on. The car idles rough, as I can feel the engine vibration inside the car. Motor mounts are all good. I did noticed that the radiator fluid is milky, so I flushed it out and refilled and now seems good. It does overheat a little. Maybe a head gasket?

2) My clutch stiffens after driving for a while. Is this normal. It also makes noise when clutch is disengaed and goes away when clutch is engaged.

3) AC belt squeels at idle, but goes away when driving.

Any one have any ideas? Anyone in California (i.e., Long Beach) willing to fix this for me.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 civic with GSR, clutch and engine problems ...Please help

1. Timing? Check the rotor cap? What is the sound like that's coming from the motor? How did you diagnose the misfire? Have you pulled that plug? What did the motor do after you pulled the plug? Milky radiator fluid = head gasket leak... How does your oil itself look? If the oil is milky def head gasket. Do a leak down test?

2. Never heard of a clutch getting stiffer after driving a while... generally a clutch after a spirited drive gets "spongy"... Swap tranny fluid with Honda MTF not 10w30...

3. Need to either tighten the belt or replace. Uber easy fix.

Hope that helped a little... there are quite a few certified honda tech's on here... listen to them! I am not one of them.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:33 PM
New User

Awesome. Thanks alot.

1) In reference to number 1, I did check all of this and I think it might be the head gasket. No milky oil, but milky radiator fluid. Would this make the engine idle rough and feel vibration when inside the car?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you positive the wires are in the right spot on the rotor cap? Have you held each wire individually close to metal to see if it is sparking at all? Ummm.... Rough idle/vibration generally means (in my experience) you are running on three cylinders. You have a check engine light on right? What are the codes?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your distributor... get a new one? I wish I had a GSR swap. I'm tired of my D16Z6. I've replaced so much on the thing lately I could have paid for a good chunk of a swap by now. New axles, water pump/timing belt... accessory belts, thermostat, clutch, flywheel, plugs, wires, cap and rotor yadda yadda yadda.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:09 PM
New User

Originally Posted by tampabud
Your distributor... get a new one? I wish I had a GSR swap. I'm tired of my D16Z6. I've replaced so much on the thing lately I could have paid for a good chunk of a swap by now. New axles, water pump/timing belt... accessory belts, thermostat, clutch, flywheel, plugs, wires, cap and rotor yadda yadda yadda.
COde is P0304, which is misfire cylinder 4. Yep, spark in all.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have misfire it's either Spark, Fuel or Compression. Leave the fuel for last, if you said that spark is good check your comp. You can get a compression tester and see whats the reading