Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 Civic EX won't start after replacing starter - I don't even know what to try next

Old 11-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Civic EX won't start after replacing starter - I don't even know what to try next

My Car Won't Start and I've Tried Everything!?
This is somewhat of a complex situation so I'll do my best to explain. My 2000 Honda Civic EX has 205k miles on it. My car will crank and turn over and sounds like it is going to start up but never does. When i attempt to start it my speedometer goes crazy, my check engine light blinks rapidly and kind of clicks when the key in the on position it sounds like its coming from the piece behind the engine block that hooks up the gas lines and air filter right next to the firewall, the oil and battery lights are also on. I had just replaced my starter motor and starter solenoid because my starter went bad and haven't gotten it started since. When i replaced the starter it did not require shims and the starter sounds like it should. I replaced the battery and checked the fuel pressure by loosening the fuel filter and turning the key to the on position which resulted in gas being sprayed. This leads me to believe (possibly falsely) that the problem is not in the fuel lines or fuel pump or with the battery, starter, or alternator. Any help would be much appreciated I have no other ideas. About a year ago i had the timing belt and water pump replaced and have relatively new exhaust that was put on by a previous owner. There is gas in the car as well.

Other side (possibly related) issues with the car:

I had the head gasket repaired after it blew about 8 months ago. Attempting to fix it i put in Blue Devil but that didn't work so i took it to the shop and had them redo the head gasket and clean everything up. Since then I've replaced multiple heater hoses, radiator hoses and thermostats. Currently I do not have heat and have flushed the heater core and radiator with no luck.There is a brand new thermostat in there too. There upper radiator hose is warm after driving while the lower hose is cold.

There is a slight rear main seal leak that the mechanic said was not a big deal in hondas because they are so slow. To help this problem the mechanic told me to put in 15W/40 Rotella Deisel Synthetic blend.

Could all this be related to why my car wont start?? Please Help!!!!
Old 11-29-2013, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to check for spark next, than compression
Old 11-29-2013, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: I don't even know what to try next

check and clean all the ground wires. the one on the battery. one ont he trans to the frame rail, valve cover to ran support, and make sure to clean the ecu grounds at the thermostat...I would check you fuses and make sure nothing popped....
Old 11-29-2013, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PCef_22
My Car Won't Start and I've Tried Everything!?
This is somewhat of a complex situation so I'll do my best to explain. My 2000 Honda Civic EX has 205k miles on it. My car will crank and turn over and sounds like it is going to start up but never does. When i attempt to start it my speedometer goes crazy, my check engine light blinks rapidly and kind of clicks when the key in the on position it sounds like its coming from the piece behind the engine block that hooks up the gas lines and air filter right next to the firewall, the oil and battery lights are also on. I had just replaced my starter motor and starter solenoid because my starter went bad and haven't gotten it started since. When i replaced the starter it did not require shims and the starter sounds like it should. I replaced the battery and checked the fuel pressure by loosening the fuel filter and turning the key to the on position which resulted in gas being sprayed. This leads me to believe (possibly falsely) that the problem is not in the fuel lines or fuel pump or with the battery, starter, or alternator. Any help would be much appreciated I have no other ideas. About a year ago i had the timing belt and water pump replaced and have relatively new exhaust that was put on by a previous owner. There is gas in the car as well.
Check for blown fuses and see if you have spark.

I had the head gasket repaired after it blew about 8 months ago. Attempting to fix it i put in Blue Devil but that didn't work so i took it to the shop and had them redo the head gasket and clean everything up. Since then I've replaced multiple heater hoses, radiator hoses and thermostats. Currently I do not have heat and have flushed the heater core and radiator with no luck.There is a brand new thermostat in there too. There upper radiator hose is warm after driving while the lower hose is cold.
Unfortunately, you probably didn't follow the directions perfectly. I've never seen Blue Devil fail when used 100% properly and by the instructions.

There is a slight rear main seal leak that the mechanic said was not a big deal in hondas because they are so slow. To help this problem the mechanic told me to put in 15W/40 Rotella Deisel Synthetic blend.
While it may not be a big deal not, it eventually will. Get it fixed. Your "mechanic" gave you shitty advice. You can run 15w40, but keep in mind that your engine wasn't really designed to run oil that viscosity. There is a reason

Could all this be related to why my car wont start?? Please Help!!!!
not exactly.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Check spark and bleed the cooling system.