Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 Civ stolen twice, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Civ stolen twice, what to do?

Well, at 900am this morning my Civ was stolen once again. I only had a club on the steering wheel (wonder what happened there as I know it was locked). Windows were up; they broke the smoke guards off the drivers side (pieces laying on the ground)...

I'm sure it will be recovered by the end of the weekend with the factory speakers ripped out.

So, the question is, when I do receive it, what should I do for security systems?

I've heard about dead switches and stuff, but cannot find anything specific for the make/model/year of my Civ.

Any suggestions on a good, not too expensive, and reliable security system? Or other security measures?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 Civ stolen twice, what to do?

Quick Release + Lock

This way they have no wheel to steer the car.

As far as breaking windows, nothing you can do about that.
Keep a PitBull in the car, when you sleep. LOL
Old 01-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm wondering, though, about specific brands/models of alarm systems (or pitbulls, sure) that would be worthwhile. or, a brand of a deadswitch or something that would disable the ignition unless another object/key/signal was in place to allow the vehicle to start?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to hear about your Civic getting stolen again. My friend's ek hatch got stolen from in front of his work in broad daylight and after that he got a quick release AND power door locks, as well as a 2way alarm system. I'm looking at quick releases for my hatch right now and will probably get a 2way alarm system like his in the near future. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do the same! good luck!
Old 01-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to get a kill switch you would have to go to your local parts store and get a switch they should have a lot of different design but one that you would want would be a simple on/off switch, other clever thing ive seen is using buttons that comes on your car but you'd just have to rewire some stuff around, but if your knowlegde on electrical circuits is very limited then i would suggest a viper or compustar alarm. i've gotten my car jacked twice like you and after the first time i was like watever, because the thieves spun out down the road and left my car there. after the second time i was like **** that **** investing $600 into a good alarm and not worry about ****ers taking your **** and spending over a grand fixing it and losing money from getting all your goodies jacked is way better.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theres a guy on the S2000 forum who caught the theives.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-s2000-5/s2000-seat-thieves-caught-2704326/

But yea, good alarm, kill switches, lojack, etc...sucks that there are those people out there that have to benifets off other peoples hard work.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get like 2 diff kill switches One for ignition and one for fuel pump but hide them where ONLY YOU know where they are there is a way to keep the steering lock activated altho i dont know how to do it but im looking on ways myself. My area has no civics being stolen but chicago is a big time bad area for them to be stolen so if some one were to see on any forum something they like they could easyiy go where ever i am but thats why i deleted my location so it would be nearly impossible. In my area cars are stolen to be joyridden or as a getaway car but if you dont live in a bad neiborhood then your clear. i hope to keep out of any big citys for that reason
Old 01-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KPPPowa
Quick Release + Lock

This way they have no wheel to steer the car.

As far as breaking windows, nothing you can do about that.
Keep a PitBull in the car, when you sleep. LOL
If you think that thieves don't bring a spare steering wheel, ECU, and anything else people commonly uninstall as an anti-theft measure then you're wrong. All they have to do is bolt their wheel onto yours after they break in

OP, the best thing you can do is get a really good alarm and setup a fuel cut + ignition switch on your car (the more hidden the better) so that even if they do break into your car, they won't be able to take it unless they tow it.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not to jinx you but they stole my Eg with a complete nrg quick release , hub, and lock ... how they do that ??? i still dunno but hopefully that doesnt happen to you
Old 01-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it was me i would get out of the HONDA scene and switch to something that thieves wouldnt want to steal. thats just me. Well if u really to keep ur car safe is u have to spend lots of money on security. you cant go cheap on that. stealth install, reputable alarm, back up batter, mini siren...etc. GO LOOK AT THE SECURITY section and u will get a lot of idea.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Duc_du
if it was me i would get out of the HONDA scene and switch to something that thieves wouldnt want to steal. thats just me. Well if u really to keep ur car safe is u have to spend lots of money on security. you cant go cheap on that. stealth install, reputable alarm, back up batter, mini siren...etc. GO LOOK AT THE SECURITY section and u will get a lot of idea.
Or move way out to the country
Old 01-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do alarm systems have the ability to have glass break sensors? some houses have them, would make sense if you could put one on a car.

lots of killswitches

wheel + lock

park where you can look out the window from your bedroom (and get good at throwing knives long distances lol)

or if you arent really gonna be modding your civic, I'd sell it and get out of the honda game

there is a popular saying, "if a theif wants your car bad enough, they'll get it"
Old 01-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Duc_du
X2!

Install a stealth alarm system and do it right. Any alarm that is not done in a stealth manner and with a backup battery is just a waste. Trips me up to see people spend 800 bucks on secrurity and then have best buy install the parts. Theives are past that in a min.

Stealth alarm and backup battery FTW.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:00 PM

Hidden fuel pump kill switch. Winrar. Combine with annoying siren.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is exactly what you do.

1-Steering Wheel Lock.
2-Killswitch connected to your ignition, clutch line, brake line, fuel line.
I prefer the fuel line, no fuel=no start.
Brake line could get very dangerous lol.
3-Giant Bulldog with a 500lbs rock connected to a huge chain linked to the car.
4-2 way Pager
Old 01-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If they really want it, they'll just tow it. So your're ****ed anyways.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 PM
New User

I have a switch on my car connected to the computer it works really well, and it is hidden on the floor right behind the drivers seat

have you thought about getting one of those alarms that if you are not close to the car then it won't start ?
Old 01-16-2010, 12:25 AM

do a quick release steering wheel and put a club on the clutch. then you can get a viper two way system but make sure that it protects the glass, you can also add in a tilt sensor so the alarm will go if, if the car is jacked up on a tow truck to be stolen, also i would recommend ignition kill so the car cannot be pushed started and i would also add in the backup battery so if the battery is disconnected then the alarm will still go off
Old 01-16-2010, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by langjairicer
If they really want it, they'll just tow it. So your're ****ed anyways.
well if you have a tilt sensor then the alarm will go off buying you a little bit of time
Old 01-16-2010, 02:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Linked
do alarm systems have the ability to have glass break sensors? some houses have them, would make sense if you could put one on a car.

lots of killswitches

wheel + lock

park where you can look out the window from your bedroom (and get good at throwing knives long distances lol)

or if you arent really gonna be modding your civic, I'd sell it and get out of the honda game

there is a popular saying, "if a theif wants your car bad enough, they'll get it"
yeah i like that last quote reminds me of, "where there's a will there's a way"
Old 01-16-2010, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if all that stuff doesnt work, get a big a$$ gun and let every1 know you have it, so taking that car for a joy ride might cost em
Old 01-16-2010, 09:47 AM
New User

there is always the killswitch way, if u love your car u will garage it, if thats not possible then stay on ur roof at night with a sniper or u can always live out ur car
Old 01-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EuGenia
I have a switch on my car connected to the computer it works really well, and it is hidden on the floor right behind the drivers seat

have you thought about getting one of those alarms that if you are not close to the car then it won't start ?
what brand?
Old 01-16-2010, 01:53 PM
b15
Honda-Tech Member

im always looking for affordable ways to up my security too. I realize that if thieves want the car they'll take it, but my security measures are meant to buy me time. Nice alarm with an LCD pager and good range will help. I did fuel cut off switch. I use a steering wheel club lock, not that it will do much good, but it does buy time. Additionally, this is minor, but I put locking license plate screws on my car so they can't swap the plates with a screw driver, better chance of recovery if plates cant be easily switched. Also I dont know how helpful this will be but I added tint to keep people from being able to see in the car from futher-away ranges, and the tint will make breaking a window out more of a pain in the ***. Lock it up, 2010 and still broke moa****as stealing others hard work.

Don't buy stolen parts. Research where your purchases are coming from.

Quick Reply: 00 Civ stolen twice, what to do?