Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

««For the Love of God! Code 14 & 41! Eyes bleeding from search»»

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ««For the Love of God! Code 14 & 41! Eyes bleeding from search»»

Yes, i have read page after endless page in the search...now that that's out of the way...here are the facts, please help if you can:

New (to me) 2000 CX, Knew it was thrwoing an o2 CEL when i picked it up, figured i'd had a similar issue w/an older car that was fleeting, hit & miss, so no biggie, right?

Lo & behold, it is in fact 2 codes being thrown, 14 (IACV) and 41 (primary o2 heater) ( anyone else enjoy the palindrome of my current code situation )

I've looked @ endless posts & they are all beginning to blur together, some concise help from someone who's been there done that would be a godsend right about now.

Will not hold an idle for ****...on the rare occasion that it does it's 1500-1900 rpms, but typically it surges to well over 2k'ish. Don't know how well it responds otherwise because i have no baseline to compare with (coming in from in a modded b16 ef, so i figured this would be a much slower, less responsive motor anyway)

Questions:

Would the shot o2 in anyway cause it to throw a 14 (iacv) CEL ? Can i fix 2 birds with one sensor?

Am i just unlucky enough to have to replace both the o2 and the iacv at a combined cost of > $200 ?

Is there any other reasons that the o2 and/or iacv would light? Would a vac leak or other similar issue cause these codes?

Any simple troubleshotting that can be done in the interim to see if i really have to shell out for new parts? Some of the search responses threw the code, replaced the iacv or o2 and continued having issues

And yes, my helms service manual may provide dazzling insight on what/where to look and troubleshooting flow charts, but i just got the car yesterday and haven't had the opportunity to purchase a new manual as of yet...(and @ $70, it may have to wait if i have to **** away $$ on parts to make her run as she should first)

A BIG concern of mine: Is it OK to drive around with theses 2 codes thrown? Other than maybe limp mode and the idle surging, and occasional jerking on decel, is it wise to drive around in this car as basic transpo (not backroad stunting) for 1-2 weeks until i can purchase parts & install and/or fix problem ??

Thanks so much to anyone who took the time to read this far. I know there are similar threads galore, but after combing through them i couldn't pin down what i needed to know.

TIA for any replies ASAP

from_zer0
Old 07-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: ««For the Love of God! Code 14 & 41! Eyes bleeding from search»» (from_zer0)

Code 14 is a common problem on our cars and it can be fixed by getting a new IACV or one that isn't internally damaged. On your car, depending on the engine, the IACV is located either on the underside of the throttle body or on the intake manifold and shouldn't take more than twenty minutes to find and change. I had to replace mine (bottom of the TB) two years ago because the 500-3000 rpm idle surges were too much to deal with, so I know your pain .

The O2 sensor code can probably be fixed with a new sensor, although it could also be a bad bit of wiring in the harness. My suggestion is to change O2 sensors with a buddy to confirm the solution to the problem before spending any money on a new one.

You can't do any one thing to fix both, although, you can disconnect your ECU fuse or Neg. Bat. terminal for five to ten minutes and then restart it to see if either code clears of its own volition.

Good luck.

EDIT: it IS okay to drive with these codes and a simple way to test the IACV one (to determine if it is truly done for) is to start your car COLD, take off your intake tubing, find the hole in the throttle body (TB) before the plate/butterfly and block it with your finger. If the idle returns to a normalish range, the IACV is shot. If it still bounces around a bit, you have another vacuum leak somewhere else and I would get a new TB gasket because it's number one on the list of likely suspects.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ««For the Love of God! Code 14 & 41! Eyes bleeding from search»» (Archidictus)

Niiiiiice! Big up to *Archidictus* Clear, concise & to the point.

So the o2 i figured is a def. replacement...Part # 234-4099 (OE identical sensor, 4 wire; Front) @ sparkplugs.com for < $65, shipping can't be more than $10, i'd think. Not too bad so far.

As for the IACV, however, i'm not sure the best route to take. Is OEM the only (or, the only smart) option? Where to go ? What part do i even search, or category? Nothing i've hit on yet has exactly that or will let me search by keyword but i'm still looking.

Where did everyone else get their IACV? Place, price, experience?? I've read anywhere from < $100-260 + ...what's the deal?

Thanx again for all the help...just dropped $$ on the car & would like for the CEL to vanish so i can start to spend $$ on frivolous things instead of necessary maintenance.

PS Haven't had the car cold since i read your (Archidictus) troubleshooting to narrow it down to the IACV for sure, but will ASAP. Now, by 'normalish' do you mean a steady idle around the appx. proper idle speed? Meaning would it fluctuate @ all when i plug the hole if it is in fact the IACV? What i'm getting from you is the idle should settle if it's the IACV and hold rock steady, no? Otherwise it's a vac leak, probably @ the tb gasket or some other simple fix, i'm guessing.

Thanx again to all for their time & replies.