Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A\C Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A\C Removal

I have a 2000 honda civic si and i want to remove my a/c system and was wondering what is the easiest way to do it? Anyone on here ever do a How-To
Old 11-25-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: A\C Removal

just rip it out...
drian both ac lines *away from your face* its like a c02 canistor going off
unbolt the compressor
take off the belt.
the ac condessner looks like a radiator just unbolt that and pull it out. and follow the ac lines and unbolt the brackets as you go. the freon canister is right next to the ww fluid resvr. take off the front driver side wheel. and remove the splash gaurd in the fender whell and take out the freon can
Old 11-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dont do it u will want it in the summer
Old 11-25-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do it. it looks way cleaner. dont be a girl about it.
when your done get a plug for that hole on the firewall. you can get the part# here on the 1st page
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-acura-28/shaved-tucked-customized-engine-bays-pics-theory-discussion-1693934/
Old 11-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u might wanna take the car and have the ac system drained out of all the freon gas before u take everything out. You can also take out all the shiat under the dash too
Old 11-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do i have to run a pully for the belt to keep the length going or is on its own belt system
Old 11-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it has it's own belt. the evaporator inside the car (under dash) is a couple more pounds
also don't forget the dryer bolted under the power steering reservoir.

I haven't had a/c for years and i lived in a very humid part of NC, if you don't care about sweating on two minute trips to the store then i say go for it!

the refrigerant is considered a ozone depleting substance and there is going to be an oily build up where ever you drain the system at it is not just a gas, the refrigerant is also a lubricant for the compressor, just little things to think about!
Old 11-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00EckoSI
do i have to run a pully for the belt to keep the length going or is on its own belt system
A/C has its on belt. So you can take the belt off, then the compressor and the compressor bracket. Some people leave the compressor bracket because it has an engine torque mount on it. Some say it will break **** without that mount hooked up, some say it won't. All I can say is I have drove my EJ1 for almost 2 years without that mount and I haven't had any problems.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HCivExoo
I haven't had a/c for years and i lived in a very humid part of NC, if you don't care about sweating on two minute trips to the store then i say go for it!
I live a bit outside Charlotte, NC. So it gets hot as **** here. I have delt with a few summers now without A/C but thinking about putting it back in now. No one will ride with me anywhere in the summer cause they have A/C and I don't. And every girl I have dated since I have taken it out always bitch cause its hot and I don't have A/C.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
I live a bit outside Charlotte, NC. So it gets hot as **** here. I have delt with a few summers now without A/C but thinking about putting it back in now. No one will ride with me anywhere in the summer cause they have A/C and I don't. And every girl I have dated since I have taken it out always bitch cause its hot and I don't have A/C.
X2!!!!!!! Lmfao! My fiance hates ridin in my car, I have a FBP 99 em1 and I took mine out a few years ago, it sucks *** in the summer! Especially going to work with a midnight navy uniform and kevlar vest! If you don't care about sweatin your *** off then do it lol
Old 11-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

luckily i was able to hook my wife into marrying me before she had too much experience with my car.
Between no interior to really speak of, being loud, hot, uncomfortable seats pain in the *** seat belts, and other Con's that my car has! glad to know i am not the only one though
Old 11-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FearTheH
X2!!!!!!! Lmfao! My fiance hates ridin in my car, I have a FBP 99 em1 and I took mine out a few years ago, it sucks *** in the summer! Especially going to work with a midnight navy uniform and kevlar vest! If you don't care about sweatin your *** off then do it lol
No kidding bro. I went for a job Interview a couple months back on like a 95 degree day and wore a blue dress shirt. By the time I got there the shirt was freakin dark blue in tons of places cause I was sweating like a damn pig.
I was like "DAMN "

OP, sorry if I side tracked your thread. If it don't get very hot where you live then go for it.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OP, sorry if I side tracked your thread. If it don't get very hot where you live then go for it.
yeah woops

i know what you mean though i have 5 points in my car a end up with sweat stains showing just that on my shirt after a couple of minutes drive.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i live in md and it does get hot i use the a/c but the mengine bay just looks too cluttered
Old 11-27-2009, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well a/c defffinetly doesn't help the bay being cluttered, if you care more about the engine bay being cluttered over being hot and sweaty in the summer time, then you have your answer.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree it makes the engine bay look cluttered. I ripped by P/S out years ago and looped the rack so I have no P/S nothing under the hood, then with all the A/C lines, compresser, condensor and all out it really cleaned up everything and gave alot more room. But, I think I gotta give it up and get the A/C back in. Sucks cause I will then have to get a turbo manifold that will be A/C compatiable and with the A/C in there plus Turbo it will really be cluttered but oh well. Turbo is still down the road a ways considering I don't have the funding yet.

And yeah, Maryland is hot. My ex fiancee was from there, I made a few trips up there and one was in the summer and it was hot as *****. I drove her Camaro up there once in the winter but since it was cold, no a/c was needed. On the summer trip we took my civic due to fuel milelage and she whined alot during that 7 hour ride.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill definitely agree with it cleaning the bay up, but sometimes wonder if it was worth it... Ill probably just fill the condensor space with a full size radiator after she's boosted...if I ever get around to doing it anyways lol
Old 11-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm going to take mine out soon, haven't used it in years, i'm a windows down kinda guy.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill definitely agree with it cleaning the bay up, but sometimes wonder if it was worth it...
X2!

I took mine out due to the fact that it would never work worth a ****. I had several mechanics look at it and it would work good for a week or so and then be back to where it didn't work so I just got fed up and ripped it all out. I should have just spent more time with it.

Originally Posted by mhart
i'm going to take mine out soon, haven't used it in years, i'm a windows down kinda guy.
I like my windows down to. But even the windows down on a 90-100 degree day sucks..exspecially with as humid as it gets where I live. Plus its just hard to take girls out without it. They don't want to be dripping sweat on a hot day in a car without A/C..I can't say that I blame them. The other thing that gets annoying is when its raining out..my damn windows fog up terrible and rain-X anti fog ain't worth a penny much less the 6 bucks they charge for it.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I almost forgot about that!!! Yes without AC your defrost doesn't work worth a ****!!! Better keep an old shirt or something with you at all times! Lol
Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I almost forgot about that!!! Yes without AC your defrost doesn't work worth a ****!!! Better keep an old shirt or something with you at all times! Lol
LOL, Theres a towel laying on my backseat as I speak
Old 11-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when u pull it out ill take it off ur hands for the right price
Old 11-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL, Theres a towel laying on my backseat as I speak
Lmao! Me too haha cold weather sucks unless u keep a window cracked to prevent foggy windows, unless that's what you're goin for lol, and rainy weather sucks *** too!!
Old 11-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lmao! Me too haha cold weather sucks unless u keep a window cracked to prevent foggy windows, unless that's what you're goin for lol, and rainy weather sucks *** too!!
LMAO!

A regular cold NON-rainy day is usually fine for me. They don't tend to fog up at all then, but if its cold and raining..I reach for that towel that is on my backseat. I probably look like a dumbass to other people..there probably like

"look at that dumbass wiping his windshield and windows with a towel" hahaha
Old 11-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pm me with a price and we can talk