Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[Help] Crank but no Start, need some Input on my results

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Help] Crank but no Start, need some Input on my results

Hey, i have a 1995 Civic ex, that recently did some wire tuck O.O... and after all that i'm sure i did all wiring correctly i've checked and checked, also the car ran after i had it tucked, but really bad Error code 14.. i then changed the IACV and TB. now i can only get the car to crank.. things i've checked are
1: spark, phillips screw into plug and let it search for ground. got spark
2: Fuel, i hear the main relay clicking twice and engine light on for 2 sec. also get a fuel sound from rail when key is (II) so i'm sure that's fine.

i've search and search.. came with this
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/ecu-sensors-troubleshooting-multimeter-2560243/

telling me how to check ecu and circuts. i'm having some problem is it normal for when i usually get 5v at sensors to get about 4.9? a few volts off? the car has been cranked and cranked.

also when i did the Crank/TDC/Cycl sensors in the above link. it states resistence should be 400-600Ohms.. i'm gettting about 350 -370ohms?
i've search and searched.. i've been working at this nearly 3weeks.. and finall results is here.
please someone help.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: [Help] Crank but no Start, need some Input on my results

bad spark plug wires can cause this issue. if the insulation is no longer doing its work the spark could be jumping before it even gets to the sparkplug itself.. I had this issue as well and it drove me nuts cause i knew i had all 3 combustion essentials and in the end it was cause of the spark plug wires.. u can see if its ur spark plug wires by just putting the spark plug wire on its side near a ground and see if a spark jumps THROUGH the insulation.

this could be one cause... but this caused a missfire... cause not all the cylinders had completely bad wires.. but i could see how all wires being bad could cause it to not even run...

another possibility is bad gasoline.. i let my integra sit for a couple months and it would not start and that also drove me nuts but i removed the gas and put new gas and after a couple cranks it finally started..

also make sure all grounds are there... theres one that goes on the side of the thermostat that is pretty important.. thats on integras though but im pretty sure a civic would also have it.

other then that if ur getting all 3 essentials to combustion then u should atleast be getting kicks like ur car wants to start.. in which case the culprit could be timing... but in your case i think one of the 3 ingredients is appearing as functional but in fact might not be... I.E. bad gas or bad wires causing premature spark inside the spark plug tube
Old 11-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, i've switched and changed plugs from a known working car, aswell as took off the cap, and tested for spark from the ign itself there was a jump,
i'm not sure if it has any leads. but my hand-brake light comes on when i crank aswell as the lights on my dash dim, i even have a jumper hooked up?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so update, some more information that might help you guys..

my engine sounds very strange when cranked

like a "repeat" anyways easiest way to describe is this video, when eric test comp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_tbksFYhl4
somthing like "crank, Crank , Crank,
oppoused to the normal "continual" cranking
somehting like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSpAoAXqWd4

crank crank crank cank

I KNOW this isn't the best, i don't have my camera at the time. but skip everything, and just listen to the part the first video does the test on comp. cranking it "5 secs" distict sound
please help.
thank you!
Old 11-19-2010, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Click the Spark link in my signature. Spark should be bright white at the plugs.

Are the spark plug wires installed in the correct firing order on the distributor cap?

Have you checked the mechanical timing to see whether the timing belt skipped a tooth or two?

Any CEL codes?
Old 11-19-2010, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this prob after a swap in the integra I had. I replaced everything, ecu, dizzy, plugs, wires, coil, main relay. still had the same damn prob. after a week or 2 on the forums and testing everything I that I forgot to hook up a ground on the back of the block. hooked the ground up started right up and had no more probs.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah thanks guys for your input and help, as for those test, sorry busy day as well as SNOW????? Argh... yeild my work day another. so tomrrow morning i will keep you guys posted again thank you!
Old 11-20-2010, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you replaced the IACV, you sure you put the vacuum lines and coolant lines in the correct spot? I hope your not dumping coolant into your motor.