Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 12:57 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default [FAQ-DIY] OEM 5G 92-95 Civic Security Systems and Keyless Entry

[FAQ-DIY] OEM 5G 92-95 Civic Security Systems and Keyless Entry: A Primer
And Retrofit of a 94-95 System into a Canadian 92 Civic

Preamble

What follows is a discussion of the various Security and Keyless Entry options for the 5th Generation Honda Civic in various markets around the world, as well as an in-depth dissection of the Security System offerings on the North American variety. Finally, I mash together parts from three different systems I salvaged from junkyards and successfully merge them to retrofit a 94-95-version system into a Canadian 1992 Civic EX-V Sedan.

Introduction

UK and North American 5G 92-95 Honda Civics came with an option for a dealer-installed Security System. These were the first such systems available for the Honda Civic since the vehicle’s inception in the 1970s. In the US and Canada, these systems were manufactured by Alpine for Honda, and were introduced with the 1992 model year. Figure 1a and 1b shows the four-page Canadian brochure pamphlet for the 1993 Security System, and Figure 2 shows an excerpt from the US 1993 Accessories brochure.

Figure 1a. Front and back page from CDM Security System optional accessory pamphlet from 1993.

Figure 1b. Inside pages from CDM Security System optional accessory pamphlet from 1993.

Figure 2. Detail from USDM 1993 Accessories brochure (for multiple models).

I am unsure of the manufacturer in the UK but it may have been Serpi Star (Figure 3a to 3d). It had a couple of neat features such as A-pillar mounted shock/impact sensors and a keyed fuel cut-off switch in the glove compartment.

Figure 3a. OEM Security System from UKDM Coupe Honda Access brochure.

Figure 3b. UKDM OEM siren mounted underhood (courtesy civic-eg.com user kamikaza).

Figure 3b. UKDM OEM A-pillar-mounted shock/impact sensors (courtesy civic-eg.com user kamikaza).

Figure 3b. UKDM OEM glove box mounted fuel cut (courtesy civic-eg.com user kamikaza).

Interestingly, Germany and possibly other continental European countries didn’t have an option for a Security System (as far as I can tell), but could order an OEM immobilizer, manufactured by Serpi Star (Figure 4a and 4b). It used a “touch key”-style fob that mates with a connection installed on the dash.

Figure 4a. My BNIB EDM Immobilizer.

Figure 4b. EDM Immobilizer contents. Note touch-key fob (taped to wiring in pic).

Beginning in 1993, these US & Canadian and UK systems were the first to introduce radio frequency-based (RF) keyless entry on a Civic into their respective Security Systems - a feature that is about as ubiquitous on vehicles nowadays as a steering wheel or brakes. However, JDM Civics were unsurprisingly first out of the gates with this feature in mid-1992, opting instead for an infrared (IR) keyless entry system option (Figure 5) while spurning any concomitant security system. I suspect this is because vehicle theft is (was?) quite rare in Japan and therefore largely unnecessary. These systems also came as a standard feature on a few special trims such as the EG6 SiR-S and the EG5 20th Anniversary Edition), and also came standard on some sedans in some other East Asian markets. Beginning in 1994, a short-range (only 2m) “microwave”-based (according to Google translate, though maybe this means RF-based) keyless entry system option replaced the IR one (Figure 6a and 6b).

Figure 5. JDM IR Keyless Entry detail from 1993 Civic Coupe Accessories brochure.

Figure 6a. JDM Keyless Entry detail from 1994 Civic Coupe Accessories brochure. No longer an IR remote, and uses “microwave” (RF?).

Figure 6b. Close-up of front side of remote.

Figure 6c. Close-up of back side of remote. Note “SR4” in part number.

There was one final version of Keyless Entry that was available in Japan as an option, but I know very little about (Figure 6d to 6f). Evidently it was IR-based and used a receiver mounted next to the driver’s side door mirror instead of the one integrated into the door handle.

Figure 6d. Side-mirror mounted JDM IR Keyless Entry.

Figure 6e. Side-mirror mounted JDM IR Keyless Entry part number. The “SR3” in the part number verifies this was an option for the 5G Civic.

Figure 6f. Side-mirror mounted JDM IR Keyless Entry user instructions, showing side-mirror mounting of receiver.

Back on North American shores, the Civic was not the only Honda in the range with a Security System. The Prelude was first in 1988, believe it or not, the Accord began offering this feature in 1991, and the del Sol could order this option also beginning in 1993. Over on the Acura lineup I know the Integra could get this feature starting in 1990; presumably other models could too by around then. The design, though, in 1993 through later years, was fairly generalized for a few different vehicles (notably: Prelude, Accord, Civic, del Sol, Integra) and basically only the wiring harness required changing between them. Other models (i.e., other Acuras) received completely different units not made by Alpine. Honda and Acura both put out TSBs regarding reprogramming of the remotes, including drawings of the remotes and providing some other technical details which may be useful and of interest: Honda TSB 98-011 and Acura TSB 97-040.

This write-up will focus on dissecting the North American Civic offerings, and document my experience with them. And before we continue, I should state for the record that I am under no illusion that these units provide anything more than a token measure of “security”. Yes there’s a flashing LED as a deterrent and the horn honks if somebody breaks in, but the design of the system means it could be disabled with an unqualified swiftness by even the least competent of thieves. Anyone the least bit serious about car alarms should invest in a properly installed (read: stealth) quality aftermarket unit. But, for everyone out there who is interested in some of the background and delving into the inner workings of these 5G Civics: This is meant for you, dear reader.

Variations on a Theme: Different Strokes for Different Years

The original North American Civic 92-93 design varied significantly from the 94-95 design. The 92-93 system was cable-tied to slits cut in the carpet under the driver’s seat, and used a harness that interconnects with the vehicle’s harness to “tap” into the various wiring it needs. It had your standard security features such as flashing LED (mounted on the top of the steering column cover), glass breakage sensor (ie., a microphone), valet/disarm switch, and, oddly, a “beep” switch which I can’t figure out. Possibly this enables/disables the horn sounding when the alarm is set. These features were mounted on the lower dash cover. In 1993 Honda altered the door PL wiring to route two wires into the cabin to enable operation of the PL by the system brain, thus introducing a Keyless Entry feature. Figure 7 shows an overview of the whole unit, and if you want more information I posted a detailed breakdown of the 1993 system previously in the OEM 5G Civic rare parts thread.

Figure 7. Example of a complete 1993 Honda Civic Security System.

This system uses ROM chips for communication between the transmitter and the unit’s brain (Figure 8). These are unique chip cards where the one in the transmitter must be identical to the one in the brain for the system to function. Surprisingly, these chips are still available from Honda (Jan/2015), and failing that, from Alpine (p/n 8319) as well. You’ll need the ones from Alpine if you want more than two remotes to function with the system. After these chips are gone, all hope of resurrecting a 92-93 system without a matching transmitter will be history. There is some further reading on this system over on the CB7tuner forums for the curious.

Figure 8. Example of 92-93 transmitter with ROM chips. (Photo courtesy Tippey764 from CB7tuner.com)

That said, I think the 92-93 system pretty much sucked compared to the USDM 94-95 system, which added some quality improvements. Figure 9a and 9b show a visual comparison of the different unit brains. (From a car security standpoint, both systems remain dubious.) First and foremost, the transmitter (seen in Figure 10) could be paired with the unit brain without the need to fuss with ROM chips, plus you can have up to four remotes. The transmitters had a “Silent” or audible “Chirp” mode to arm/disarm the unit, and could also trigger an option, though it is unclear how or what this is used for. UPDATE Nov/2018: The "OPTION" button allows for a second vehicle to be programmed on the same remote. The units were now properly mounted with a bracket under the driver’s seat. The glass breakage sensor was integrated into the unit brain and the only feature mounted on the underdash cover was a redesigned and more subtle valet/disarm switch. Another post of mine in the OEM 5G Civic rare parts thread provides some details and pictures of the installation of a CDM 94-95 unit. A USDM 94-95 unit installation would be similar, as the 94-95 Accessory Installation Instructions indicate.

Figure 9a. Visual comparison of the available Security Systems (bottom).

Figure 9b. Visual comparison of the available Security Systems (top).

Figure 10. OEM USDM 94-95 Civic / CDM & USDM 94-96 Acura Integra (and others) Security System brain unit with Honda-branded transmitter.

UPDATE Nov/2018: I managed to track down an owner's/user manual for the USDM Acura Integra 94-97 system. Here it is in all its glory.

Figure 10a. OEM USDM 94-97 Acura Integra owner's/user manual (p/n 08E51-ST7-2M00) for the 08E51-ST7-200 Security System. Instructions for the Honda-brand version will be near-identical.

An optional siren (made by Alpine) and hood trigger were also available, improving the “security” aspect somewhat. Theoretically, at least. Note you can’t get these hood sirens anymore and finding one on a car is nigh on impossible. But, from my reading these Alpine sirens were highly respected in their day, before DEI cornered the market on everything car-alarmy and everybody else went **** up pretty much. Finding an Alpine siren on eBay might prove fruitful in this case, but I think a really good bet is to look for an ~97-01 Acura CL in the junkyard since these cars had sirens stock from the factory and I believe they are the same Alpine sirens that came as the optional item with these systems. Look either behind/under the driver’s side headlight or attached to the firewall.

The design of the wiring harness now varied by market, though. Vehicles destined for the Canadian Domestic Market (CDM) were actually pre-wired within their cabin harnesses for the Security System, requiring only a simple straight main harness between the brain unit and one 14-pin connector in the footwell containing all the requisite connections for operation. This setup sounds all well and good, but let me tell you about the design of the systems we got here in Canada, first. The United States Domestic Market (USDM) systems continued to have a harness design like the 92-93 one requiring interconnects between various locations on the cabin harnesses. Despite the 1994 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM) stating as much, the systems in both markets do not operate identically. This is my conclusion after studying the wiring diagrams ad nauseum, as well as holding a CDM system in my hand and comparing it to an equivalent USDM system. Reviewing the CDM Optional Accessories dealer catalogue documentation that I have also supports this (Figure 11). The Canadian system is inferior on numerous fronts, notably by the lack of parking lights flashing on arm/disarm, no glass breakage detector, and fewer settings for auto-arm, alarm duration(?), and “relock”. (There is one unlabelled 2-position switch on the CDM unit (Figure 9b), my guess is this is for alarm duration, not “relock”.) The optional siren and hood trigger were not available. Never fear, though, if you’re in Canada and desire these other features, get a brain unit from an Acura Integra, and probably other upmarket Hondas/Acuras, USDM or CDM, as these integrate these additional features, use the same transmitter as the Civic, and will be plug’n’play. But I concluded that the OEM CDM Civic system is basically a POS.

Excerpt from 1995 CDM Accessories dealer brochure. Note how the Civic has **** for options.

A Retrofit? My Dilemma

Over the course of 2-3 years I actually pulled a few of these systems out of wrecked vehicles in junkyards, mostly as curiosities. They weren’t expensive; I’ve spent maybe $50 total and pulled two 92-93 systems (one missing the under-dash switches, the other complete one I sold), one CDM Civic 94-95 system, and one CDM Integra 94-96 system. The same day I pulled the Integra system, which has a near-identical USDM 94-95 Civic unit brain, I found the correct 94-95 Civic transmitter amongst a few hundred other miscellaneous ones in a big bucket at the junkyard checkout counter. $4.- Not bad. After I chanced upon the transmitter (I wasn’t warm to the idea of dropping $40+ for one on eBay), I started to be curious as to whether I could resurrect and install a unit as a proof of concept, and also because I am perenially curious about OEM Optional equipment for 5G Civics. I happen to have recently acquired a stock CDM 1992 Civic EX-V Sedan (Figure 12), so I even had a vehicle in which to test fit one since my hatchback already has a quality aftermarket unit.

Figure 12. Revealed: Guinea pig test vehicle for Security System install in a 1992 CDM EX-V Sedan.

But before I set out, I knew it would be a daunting task, to be sure, for the following reasons:

1. I disliked the inferior 92-93 system, plus mine was also incomplete, so I would want to install a 94-95 system, especially since I already had that transmitter.
2. But, I have a CDM 92 Civic, which is not pre-wired like the CDM 94-95s are. And, since I am in Canada, neither the CDM 94-95 Civic system nor the CDM 94-96 Integra system I pulled have the correct USDM-style interconnect harnesses. I would need to find or build an alternate solution.
3. No guarantee the transmitter would work.
4. No guarantee the unit brain would work.
5. No guarantee the transmitter would pair with the unit brain, though it should in theory.
6. I was not looking forward to decoding the multiple and complex wiring diagrams.

These were not insignificant hurdles. Since I had the 92-93 interconnect harness, I started wondering if it could be modified to replicate the 94-95 USDM interconnect harness. I compared and contrasted the wiring diagrams of both (also noting numerous errors in the diagrams in the process, actually) and slowly came to realize that it could be done with a medium amount of effort. The wiring was just different enough that it would require disassembly and a number of wires re-routed but very few requirements for major surgery. Conceptually, obviously, they were quite similar in purpose but how this was implemented in either case was different. In practice, this amounted to the 92-93 system providing/routing power through itself to relays, etc., while the 94-95 system moreover grounds these same relays via the brain unit instead. Simpler. Like I stated earlier, the 94-95 system is a better design.

So, what follows is a journey into the brain of an obsessed Civic owner and laid bare here. But, once I set upon this path, there was really no going back until I saw the project through. And it’s only when you’re in the thick of it, that you realize how deep the rabbit hole goes. This rabbit hole, actually, wasn’t all that bad, in terms of the labour involved. Well, it would have been for a newbie. But, the part that took the most time was in the layout and planning, and just basically wrapping your head around all the wiring diagrams -- and figuring out the errors. But, I have now described this all below to help the next sucker that comes along. I had to compare four different ETMs (93 Civic, 94 CDM Civic, 94 USDM Civic, 98-01 Integra) and figure out if the units all operated the same and what/how the wiring could be merged together). Note that this information is really only helpful for someone retooling a 92-93 harness to work with a 94-95 system, to then install into a 92-93 car. So, it’s a very specific type of retrofit. And this is more likely to be of help to a Canadian because if you’re in the USA, with enough patience you’re more likely to find the correct harness anyway.

Figure 13 links to an excerpt from the 1993 Civic ETM showing the Security System wiring diagrams. The two connectors of interest are labelled C442 and C443. I have annotated the diagrams, noting errors that occurred in what was printed vs. the actual connectors and wiring used in the system.

LINK TO PDF

Figures 13. Click link for excerpt from 1993 ETM.

And here is what the wires actually were at the connectors; errors are noted:

C443 - SECURITY SYSTEM 92-93
Note: This is #1 of 2 connectors at the Security System brain.
1 - GRN/WHT: Door Lock (#1/2)2- (BLANK)3 - ORN: Starter Cut4 - WHT: Battery Input 
5 - BLK: Ground6 - WHT/BLK: Security Flasher (Lights)7 - BLU/GRN: Horn Control (mislabelled as BLU/RED)8 - BLU/WHT1: Ignition Input (mislabelled as GRN/BLK, but this is the correct colour) 
9 - GRN/RED1: Door Lock (#2/2)10 - RED: LED Security Ind.11 - BLU/WHT2: Disarm (Valet) Sw. Input12 - RED/WHT: Beep Sw. Input 

C442 - SECURITY SYSTEM 92-93
Note: This is #2 of 2 connectors at the security system brain.
1 - GRN/RED2: Door-open input2 - GRN/BLK2: ???? Goes nowhere3 - GRN/BLK1: Trunk-open input (mislabelled as GRN, but this is the correct colour)
4 - (BLANK)5 - (BLANK)6 - (BLANK)
Next up is Figure 14 and the wiring diagrams from the 1994 ETM for the Security System. 1995 should be identical. Click link for all the pages in a pdf.

LINK TO PDF

Figure 14. Click link for excerpt from 1994 ETM.

Now here is what things actually looked like:

C442 (Security Option Connector) - SECURITY SYSTEM CANADA Honda Civic 94-95 (Source: 94-95 Sample connector & 94 Civic ETM)
Note: This is the connector for the security system in the footwell that is present only on CDM 94-95 Civics.
1 - LT GRN/RED (or GRN/RED): Door-open input2 - GRN: Trunk-open input3 - BLU/WHT: Ignition Key Sw. @ C427 Note: Not on 92-93----4 - GRN/WHT: Door Lock (#2/2)5 - BLU/GRN: Horn Control6 - WHT/BLU: Battery Input
7 - BLK: Ground8 - BLU/WHT or LT GRN: Disarm/Valet Sw. Input (= LT GRN on sec. harness)9 - (BLANK)10 - RED: LED Security Ind. (mislabelled as GRN/RED in ETM, but correct on sec. harness)11 - ORN or BLU/BLK: Starter Cut (= BLU/BLK on sec. harness)12 - GRN/RED: Door Lock (#1/2)13 - (BLANK)14 - YEL: Ignition Input

I also pulled a Security System from a 1996 Acura Integra Sedan. It has the same system as the 94-95 USDM Civic, meaning it has the second connector spot for the optional hood trigger and siren, has the glass breakage detector, etc., etc.

C426 (Security Option Connector) - SECURITY SYSTEM Acura Integra 94-96 (Source: 96 Sample connector & 98-01 Integra ETM)
Note: This is the connector for the security system in the footwell that is present on CDM 94-96 Integras, and later on CDM & USDM (97?)98-01 Integras
1 - LT GRN/RED (or GRN/RED): Door-open input2 - GRN: Trunk-open input3 - LT BLU: Ignition Key Sw.Note: Not on 92-93----4 - BLK/WHT: Door Lock (#2/2)5 - BLU/GRN: Horn Control6 - WHT/BLU: Battery Input
7 - BLK: Ground8 - LT GRN: Disarm/Valet Sw. Input (= LT GRN on sec. harness)9 - (BLANK)10 - GRN/RED: LED Security Ind.11 - ORN or BLU/BLK: Starter Cut (= BLU/BLK on sec. harness)12 - BLK/RED: Door Lock (#1/2)13 - GRN/YEL: Light flasher relay control14 - YEL: Ignition Input

Here is the wiring as it appeared at the brain unit of the CDM 94-95 system. This connector does not have a label in the Security System (Canada) section of the ETM, but is equivalent to C57 for the USA diagram.
C??? (= USA C57) (At Security Brain) - SECURITY SYSTEM CANADA Honda Civic 94-95 (Source: Sample connector)
1 - YEL: Ignition Input 2 - (BLANK!)3 - ORN or BLU/BLK: Starter Cut (= BLU/BLK on sec. harness) 4 - BLU/GRN: Horn Control5 - (BLANK)----6 - BLU/WHT or LT GRN: Disarm/Valet Sw. Input (= LT GRN on sec. harness)7 - GRN/RED: Door Lock (#1/2)8 - BLK: Ground9 - (BLANK)10 - WHT/BLU: Battery Input
11 - RED: LED Security Ind. (mislabelled as GRN/RED, but correct on sec. harness)12 - LT GRN/RED (=GRN/RED): Door-open input (Canada diagram correct vs. US)13 - (BLANK)14 - (BLANK)15 - (BLANK)16 - GRN: Trunk-open input17 - (BLANK)18 - (BLANK)19 - GRN/WHT: Door Lock (#2/2)20 - BLU/WHT Ignition Key Sw. @ C427 Not on 92-9321 - (BLANK)22 - (BLANK)

Here is the wiring as it appeared at the brain unit of the CDM 94-96 Acura Integra system. I did not have the 94-97 Integra ETM so this is just based on what I found at the connector.
C??? (At Security Brain) - SECURITY SYSTEM CANADA Acura Integra 94-96 (Source: Sample connector)
(Note: Nylon cable holder 14cm from unit brain connector base.)
1 - YEL: Ignition Input 2 - GRN/YEL: Security Flasher (Lights)3 - BLU/BLK: Starter Cut (= BLU/BLK on sec. harness)4 - BLU/GRN: Horn Control5 - (BLANK)----6 - LT GRN: Disarm/Valet Sw. Input (= LT GRN on sec. harness)7 - BLK/RED: Door Lock (#1/2)8 - BLK: Ground9 - (BLANK)10 - WHT/BLU: Battery Input
10 - GRN/RED: LED Security Ind.12 - LT GRN/RED: Door-open input13 - (BLANK)14 - (BLANK)15 - (BLANK)16 - GRN: Trunk-open input17 - (BLANK)18 - (BLANK)19 - BLK/WHT: Door Lock (#2/2)20 - LT BLU Ignition Key Sw.Not on 92-9321 - (BLANK)22 - (BLANK)

Here is the connector at the brain unit as described by the 1994 ETM for USA. Errors are noted.
C57 (At Security Brain) - SECURITY SYSTEM USA 94-95
1 - GRN/BLK: Ignition Input 2 - WHT/BLK: Security Flasher (Lights)3 - ORN: Starter Cut4 - BLU/GRN: Horn Control5 - (BLANK)----6 - BLU: Disarm/Valet Sw. Input7 - GRN/RED: Door Lock (#1/2)8 - BLK: Ground9 - (BLANK)10 - WHT: Battery Input
10 - RED: LED Security Ind.12 - LT GRN/RED: Door-open input (ETM states 15, but likely incorrect)13 - (BLANK)14 - (BLANK)15 - (ETM states door-open input, but not correct on other sample connectors)16 - GRN: Trunk-open input17 - (BLANK)18 - (BLANK)19 - GRN/WHT: Door Lock (#2/2)20 - BLU/WHT Ignition Key Sw.Not on 92-9321 - (BLANK)22 - (BLANK)
Both the Integra and USA Civic systems have an option for a hood switch and siren. This uses a separate 5-pin connector (easily obtained from other places on a Civic, such as the rear defroster connector).

C58 - SECURITY SYSTEM USA 94-95
1 - WHT: Siren (Opt.) (#2/2) (mislabelled as PIN 11 on ETM, tested with multimeter and I believe this is correct location)2 - YEL/RED: Hood Sw. (Opt.)3 - (BLANK)4 - (BLANK)5 - RED: Siren (Opt.) (#1/2)

Now comes the meat of it: What to modify on 92-93 harness to convert it into a functional 94-95 harness. The following are my notes I took, and will hopefully help someone else out!

C440 - Green connector behind u/d fuse box
  • Tap 2-WHT (Actually 2-RED/BLK on option harness, so it’s the wrong colour) to Light flasher relay
    • Replace 6-pin relay with 4-pin, keep pin ends
      • Might need to extend WHT, use 10ga wire
        • Note this is somewhat different from OEM USA 94-95 design as it doesn’t go to headlight combo connector; it’s actually simpler, and functionality is the same, and mimics the design of later Civics/Integras.
          • INSTALL NOTES:
            • Used a donor wire from connector to heater subharness, wrapped in WHT elec. tape (to colour it WHT!) to MALE at C440, removed RED/BLK completely
              • soldered above wire at split that happens on 93 harness before inline fuse holders
                • passed this wire through a 10A inline fuse since the fuse connectors were present on WHT wire anyway, and for better safety etc.
                  • can clip small gauge WHT wire at relay (there are two on the 93 harness), and redirect one of the wires to the 10ga WHT and tap in to it there, other wire is taped off
                    • small gauge WHT must NOT go on switched half of relay, it is too small to carry the current. plug it to PIN 2 (NOT PIN 1)
    • Keep BLU/WHT = GRN/BLK
      • Pass through 3A fuse, use slot for existing 10A fuse
        • Use wiring from Acura donor harness?
          • Goes to PIN 1 on brain
            • INSTALL NOTES:
              • Used WHT/BLU wire to fuse from CDM 96 Acura harness, coloured in a bit with blue Sharpie to convert to BLU/WHT

Light flasher relay
  • No change, other than repin of 6- to 4-pin relay
    • WHT/BLK goes to PIN 2 on brain

Option Connector A - Battery
  • NOTE: Consider splitting from WHT at C440 instead? that way no option connectors + more hidden
    • I DID THIS
    • Tap in to BLK of LED after fuse
      • Goes to PIN 10 on brain
        • INSTALL NOTES:
          • I eliminated this wire completely for a more secret install, and tapped in to C440 (which see)

LED
  • BLK taps into WHT from Option Connector A
    • RED no change, goes to PIN 11 on brain
      • Consider replacing BLK with WHT
        • Note wire is WHT on subharness to LED(?)
          • INSTALL NOTES: Have to swap direction of power from 93 vs. 94-95
            • I swapped entire LED short subharness to 94-95 one to keep WHT, but kept 93 connectors since they are wrapped in foam to prevent vibration
              • Substituted a WHT wire for BLK
                • WHT is soldered to small-gauge WHT from wire that originally went to 93 harness lights-flasher relay.

Horn
  • Fix broken wire at relay (mine was broken)
    • Otherwise identical
      • Goes to PIN 4 on brain

Disarm/Valet
  • Repin to valet switch connector of Honda, use button from Acura
    • Where to mount? hole of handle for fuse box? maybe
      • Goes to PIN 6 on brain

C427 (IGN) - Brown connector above u/d fuse box, next to steering column
  • Ignition Key Switch
    • Needs new wire run from brain, use one from Acura harness
      • Tap in to 2-BLU/WHT
        • Goes to PIN 20 on brain
    • Tap BLK/WHT (from IGN) to another spot on relay (pillage other wiring)
      • NOTE 6-pin relay is same but must re-pin locations (compare 93 vs. 94 diagrams, you’ll see).
        • Can use OEM DENSO moonroof 6-pin relay instead, seems more reliable. (I did this.)

Door-open indicator
  • Add splitter for eventually adding door-open indicator?
    • Otherwise, no change
      • Goes to PIN 12 on brain

Door locks
  • No change
    • GRN/WHT to PIN 7
      • GRN/RED to PIN 19
        • 92 Civic has no connector for door locks inside cabin -- must add this, what a pain.

Trunk-open indicator
  • No change. Note that wire is GRN/BLK on 92-93 opt. harness, not GRN
    • Goes to PIN 16 on brain

Starter cut
  • No change, other than remap pin location at relay
    • Goes to PIN 3 on brain
      • INSTALL NOTES: Swapped 6-pin normally-closed relay with a DENSO sourced from a Civic with power moonroof, due to better design for connector pins, plus more reliable name brand vs. no-name original on 92-93 harness.

Ground
  • Keep bolt ground from 92-93 harness
    • Goes to PIN 8 on brain
      • INSTALL NOTES: On retrospect after install, I should have modified the harness to ground through C427 as in original 94-95 wiring design.

Beep wire
  • Remove/not used

Mic wire
  • Remove/not used

Test Drive

The harness flashes the LED about three times when you initially plug it into the brain. I plugged all the connectors up (but left the horn one off for the time being to save my ears). Everything seemed to work; I put the system into programming mode and to my complete surprise successfully paired the remote on the first try!!! I was beside myself. Needless to say, I successfully installed another OEM feature and I hope you can too.

Good luck, and stay safe & secure,
-deschlong
January, 2015

Last edited by deschlong; 11-13-2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Added the Integra Owner's/User manual
Old 01-15-2015, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: [FAQ-DIY] OEM 5G 92-95 Civic Security Systems and Keyless Entry

as always

well done
Old 01-15-2015, 09:11 PM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Impressive!

eH.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:25 AM

Thanks! Hope everyone learned something.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Another great writeup!!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:39 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by deschlong
Thanks! Hope everyone learned something.
Yeah....just by the latest model alarm. But I will say damn that is some work for an out of date alarm though. GJ on writeup.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Yeah....just buy the latest model alarm.
Agree wholeheartedly.

But I will say damn that is some work for an out of date alarm though. GJ on writeup.
Yes ... yes it was. Goal was also to write up the results of my research, too.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a '94 VX hatch, pulled the driver's seat and found this brain, mounted to the bottom of the seat and plugged into a harness. Would you say, honestly, that it's worth keeping and buying the remote for, or not. Been looking into alarms, but if this is decent.....
Old 04-04-2015, 04:23 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by deschlong
Agree wholeheartedly.

Yes ... yes it was. Goal was also to write up the results of my research, too.
Mad respect on the research though.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:52 AM

Minor update with 94-97 Integra Owner's/User manual pdf.