Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ]DIY: 96-98 Amber climate control and cluster (56k go cross country)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a similar thing to me dc2 the other week and let me tell you the climate control in there is a real bitch to take out!

Instead of just changing the bulbs I scored me a nice itr climate control for only $20 so just did a direct swap :D

Loving the amber look
Old 07-05-2005, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sifu)

i did mine yesterday not too happy with the results looks much dimmer than before and came out very red instead of amber used new bulbs and 2 cotes of paint
Old 07-29-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: (gabspeed)

here mine finish product

Old 07-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Farts in the shower

Default Re: (pistolpete)

Figure I would post this up...this is on freakin_elrods car with a gsr cluster with the amber mod:

Old 07-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Farts in the shower

Default Re: (pistolpete)

Figure I would post this up...this is on freakin_elrods car with a gsr cluster with the amber mod:

Old 08-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (.ken)

oooh i wanna show off too

since i took this i made the defi gauges dimmer by adding a resister to the ilumination wire. they now match the factory gauges color more closely
Old 08-02-2005, 06:03 AM
Farts in the shower

Default Re: (snail)

Looks yummy with the defi gauges...now I know what mine will look like .
Old 08-02-2005, 07:58 AM

very nice write up! btw when you had a look under the controls, did the fan blower look like the ones in eg civics? am trying to c what parts i need ordered for my swap
Old 08-02-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: (civicdacbiet)

hey, i have a 96 hatch...it was a cx, so i bought an si cluster.....99, and its starting to get to me....the nice amber cluster, then the green on my climate control, what is the color match of these bulbs you all are talking about, or can i get 99-00 bulbs and put them into my 96 hatch no problem.....thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: [FAQ]DIY: 96-98 Amber climate control and cluster (SOHC4life 96)

Originally Posted by SOHC4life 96
Well, I've seen a lot of questions in both of the threads by Bauleycivic( https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=661308 ) and green00EX ( https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1054824 ) about how to do this for the 96-98 civic. I have taken it upon myself to get this done. Now, enough chit chat........

Things you will need:
1)Philips head screwdriver (a magnetic one REALLY helps)
2)A very small flat head screwdriver
3)6 #24 bulbs
4)1 #195
5)Some patients and a little flexability.

I bought my bulbs from http://autolumination.com/74.htm and installed the cluster ones last night. I purchased the red ones and they look ******* awesome.

As far as the cluster goes, just follow what green00EX did, his is the exact same thing as ours. The climate control is what is the difference. Lets get this bitch done, shall we?

1) Start off by removing these two screws underneith the climate control.

2) Then get the screw that is down on the bottom right corner of the knee guard. Then pull it down, there is a clip on the top that is holding it in. Don't be afraid to use a little force with it.

3) Some of you might have some screws behind the glove box and that knee guard you just pulled down. I took pictures of where they would be if I had them. (thank you Luserkid for NOT putting them back )

4) Start fiddleing with the lower center console piece, with the right pulls and pushes in the right direction, it will come out with no problem. It should now

5) Now, remember that tiny flat head screwdriver? Now is when you will need it. Pop the rear defroster and hazard lights buttons out. And then unplug them.

6) Then unscrew the 2 screws behind the buttons.

7) It's time to get up under the dash and disconnect the wire from the heater/AC unit. Pull the end off and take it out of the clip. It should look like this now:

8) While your under there, find the 3 screws holding the climate control in. There's one in in the middle towards the front of the car and then 2 on the sides closer to the rear of the car. Get those outta there. Then unplug the brown and green plugs out from behind the climate control.

9) Grab the whole bezel from the top and pull, there's about 4 clips on the top holding it in. It should come right out. Pull the whole thing out.

10) No there is no need to remove the climate control unit from the bezel. Just find the 2 black sockets on the bottom of it and pull those out. Those are you blubs. Get those old POS ones out and pop the new ones in.

11) With the #24 bulbs you'll run into a slight problem... they are a tad bigger than the stock ones, so you can't shove the new ones in all the way. If you mess with them and find the right spot they will fit in and light up just fine though.

12) Before you put everything back in keep the bulbs out of the hole in the climate control and plug the green plug back in. Turn on your lights to make sure that they light up.

13) If it all lights up fine, put the bubls in and put it all back together in reverse order. Don't forget to hook up that temp control wire back up.

14) Congradulations, you're done. And now for the new climate control. Sorry I don't have any before pictures, but trust me it looked like ****. It was a whitish orange, the red looks great IMO. Got some new pictures, shows how it looks a million times more. Enjoy

I wanna thank Bauleycivic for the original write-up on amber clusters and climate controls, green00EX for his write-up on the 99-00 civic, and Luserkid for resizing my pictures.

Modified by SOHC4life 96 at 11:18 PM 3/20/2005

Modified by SOHC4life 96 at 3:08 PM 3/22/2005

Modified by SOHC4life 96 at 10:58 PM 3/26/2005

Modified by SOHC4life 96 at 11:01 PM 3/26/2005
also, why are a few of the bulbs still green, when i do this, i would like it all amber
Old 08-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-31-2005, 11:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: [FAQ]DIY: 96-98 Amber climate control and cluster (Jdmtuned)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also, why are a few of the bulbs still green, when i do this, i would like it all amber</TD></TR></TABLE>

The green buttons are IN the climate control. I have no idea how to change those things. And if you figure it out, you will be the first on honda-tech. Those are a bitch and a half to get too.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gabspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i did mine yesterday not too happy with the results looks much dimmer than before and came out very red instead of amber used new bulbs and 2 cotes of paint </TD></TR></TABLE>

I did the same thing the first time. I painted the old bulbs, hated it with a passion. Bought new bulbs and painted them, still hated it. Then I just bought the blubs from the site I gave in the original post and loved it.

However, after having them for a while they are starting to fade a little bit. Not enough for me to get picky about it but I'm sure within the next 8 months to a year I will be buying new ones.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Farts in the shower

How did you do your stereo to light up amber, is it the same principle? Also, I wanted my cruise button to be amber along with the writing that says amber so I took off the bulb condoms and now only the function light stays on and the writing 'cruise' is now off. I did the same for my defroster and it works perfect.

Suggestions?

I might be redoing this red when I get my defi gauges .
Old 11-01-2005, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it just the three light bulbs behind the EK cluster that light up the numbers?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: [FAQ]DIY: 96-98 Amber climate control and cluster (d16rice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .ken &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How did you do your stereo to light up amber, is it the same principle? Also, I wanted my cruise button to be amber along with the writing that says amber so I took off the bulb condoms and now only the function light stays on and the writing 'cruise' is now off. I did the same for my defroster and it works perfect.

Suggestions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You could have possibly put that bulb back in and not tightened it all the way so the metal is not making full contact. Or you could have broken the bulb. Check and make sure the bulb is turned all the way in, if it is get a new one from honda. It shouldn't be more than a few bucks.

As for the stereo, I found a link to a write-up on another forum and followed that. It was sort of a bitch to do but well worth the efforts after my aftermarket stereo was stolen. You have to damn near take the entire thing apart to color the blubls. And to actually get it to light up amber you HAVE to use paint/sharpie to color the bulbs.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16rice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it just the three light bulbs behind the EK cluster that light up the numbers?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There are 6 bulbs behind the cluster. The second link in my first post will show you where they are and what number bulbs to get.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Trial User

gotta to do this mod to my ek up for SOHC4life 96
Old 11-13-2005, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

do you have any pics how you did the OEM radio?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: (ChadB)

Brad come do this for mine

Excellent write up man!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Trial User

just the mod i am looking for, awesome!
Old 01-14-2006, 09:06 PM

nice write up
Old 01-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ]DIY: 96-98 Amber climate control and cluster (ct95eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ct95eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice write up </TD></TR></TABLE>

stop bumping year(s) old threads
Old 02-19-2006, 10:08 PM

Default Re: [FAQ]DIY: 96-98 Amber climate control and cluster (BS 22)

I cant wait to start doin mine......Awseome write up............2 Bad pics arent workin......
Old 02-19-2006, 10:11 PM

Default Re: [FAQ]DIY: 96-98 Amber climate control and cluster (sohc'd upEJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stop bumping year(s) old threads </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why? So only people that know how to search will find it? Shut up.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc’d upEJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I cant wait to start doin mine......Awseome write up............2 Bad pics arent workin...... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man, be patient about the pictures we-todd should be back up in the next couple weeks or so.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ct95eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice write up </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zerogravitycrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just the mod i am looking for, awesome! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Glad I could help.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Brad come do this for mine

Excellent write up man!</TD></TR></TABLE>

When Vic and I come back out to Vegas this summer, no problem.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't find the 195 bulbs on the site?
Old 02-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ]DIY: 96-98 Amber climate control and cluster (sohc'd upEJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc’d upEJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I cant wait to start doin mine......Awseome write up............2 Bad pics arent workin...... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: [FAQ]DIY: 96-98 Amber climate control and cluster (56k go cross country)