[FAQ] Your Guide to Buying Quality Aftermarket Maintenance Parts for your Civic - Page 2 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
Reload this Page >

[FAQ] Your Guide to Buying Quality Aftermarket Maintenance Parts for your Civic

Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] Your Guide to Buying Quality Aftermarket Maintenance Parts for your Civic

Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Master Detailer

Default Re: [FAQ] Your Guide to Buying Quality Aftermarket Maintenance Parts for your Civic

Originally Posted by deschlong View Post
^ Info is correct for 92-95 Civics (as stated). What year is yours? Might be different.
yeah, I missed that part. lol

Looking for the 98.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Default Re: [FAQ] Your Guide to Buying Quality Aftermarket Maintenance Parts for your Civic

Will edit. Thx.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8 View Post
The Gates belts slip and squeal. They're visibly made from a different material than an OEM belt which will last almost indefinitely.
Hmm, at EDM the OEM belts (alternator, power steering, A/C and the main belt) are from Gates UK.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Seagull Management

Everything here comes from Bando or Mitsuboshi Japan.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I work at NAPA in Spokane,WA. You can get or search for your part on this site, at napaonline.com. They do offer discounts to most places if you show proof of identification of employment to where you work. Just saying, its always nice to receive some kind of discount for your parts. Most aftermarket part auto manufacturer is said to meet or exceed oem, of course this isn't always true but I do believe we carry quality aftermarket parts. We do have a Altrom specifically for all imports. That's what I use on my 1993 Honda Civic Si.

here's an example of an oil filter
http://https://www.facebook.com/phot...type=1&theater

Last edited by deschlong; 02-06-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Removed quoted text.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I stopped using NAPA after they some how ordered the wrong alternator for my old 85 k-car. How do you eff that up?!?! For serious.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by Heybeyotch View Post
So just curious, but Im under the assumption that honda made parts are always better quality than after market, is this ALWAYS true?
It's mostly true. In a few very rare cases the aftermarket has a better product. The one that immediately springs to mind is the notorious leaky B-series cam seal. The aftermarket aluminum block with O-rings is supposed to be a much better setup.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:25 PM

mitchh29,

It seems like Honda has very, very high standards for its parts suppliers. This is a good thing - a very good thing. However, it's also important to remember that not all aftermarket parts are created equal. In fact, it's possible in many cases to find OEM supplier that Honda uses and you can buy that part through aftermarket channels without paying the dealership mark-up.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Seagull Management

Some stuff you can through aftermarket channels, but not nearly as often as I would like. The balljoints and shocks for example are made by Musashi and Showa respectively, but they're not available through aftermarket channels. Transmission bearings are made by NTN, have an NTN part number stamped on them and still can't normally be ordered from a bearing and seal supplier.

Just as an FYI a lot of Honda's suppliers are very old companies, and they're very, very good at what they do. As an example, Showa, who makes Honda's shocks and some of their springs, has been around since 1938. They started out making suspension for landing gear on military planes.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:41 PM

Planes for which military? Uhoh .... can of worms opened.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for this write up, as I'm from Canada and it's hard to find good online websites that ship, that also aren't an arm and a leg.

Cheers!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what are good options for an upper control arm and all that?

I see some really to good to be good options on ebay...

should I just get the oem part from honda parts unlimited?

Last edited by jeremyhughes; 08-07-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been using rockauto parts for awhile. I just wanna say the slotted and drilled combo they sale has been wife proven after warping 3 sets of factory rotors, and braking is alot better.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great info! Some I knew, some I didn't. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I won't buy another Gates belt for my Hondas. After TWO days of fighting with a timing belt- it would not go on both cam gears without being a tooth off...and I triple checked that it was the right belt. I went down to Autozone (which I despise) and got a different belt. I compared them side by side and on top of another- the Gates belt was shorter than the new belt. There was no way that Gates belt would have fit! The new belt went right on- no problem.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post
I won't buy another Gates belt for my Hondas. After TWO days of fighting with a timing belt- it would not go on both cam gears without being a tooth off...and I triple checked that it was the right belt. I went down to Autozone (which I despise) and got a different belt. I compared them side by side and on top of another- the Gates belt was shorter than the new belt. There was no way that Gates belt would have fit! The new belt went right on- no problem.
I personally haven't had issues with Gates belts. I've also used Goodyear Gatorbacks for my accessory belts.

Did you check your Gates belt with another one of the same part number? Is it possible that it was mislabeled somehow? I don't think it's fair to make statements like this off of one instance where something didn't fit.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How does FEBEST quality compare? I am thinking of getting the A/C idler pulley kit :

Amazon.com: Febest - Honda Pulley Idler - Oem: 38950-P2K-305: Automotive Amazon.com: Febest - Honda Pulley Idler - Oem: 38950-P2K-305: Automotive

wondering if anyone has used them before for OEM spare parts?
Old 08-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In regards to Brembo, I work at a warehouse that distributes parts for a lot of mechanics and parts stores (big box and mom n' pop) in the West Penn region like Pep Boys, Advance, Napa, etc etc...

We sell mostly rotors, hell it's our bread and butter. So you can imagine, we order rotors by the shipping container. Most of the generic rotors(Aimco,Wagner,Raybestos, ProChoice, Powerstop etc.) came from China on the same container from the same outsourced manufacturer. While our Brembo rotors had to be ordered directly and came in on our shipping container from Europe.

All that changed about 2 years ago, Brembo along with a few other premium manufacturers outsourced to China for their OEM lines.... To the very same company that sources the generic brands now. Our Brembos no longer have the "Made in Italy" stamp on them and they come in on the same container from China now. And most unfortunately, they also come with the same quality as the other Chinese sourced rotors because they now cost the same as the other Chinese sourced rotors though the MSRP on the invoices remain higher that the generic brands. Just paying for the name at this point. The warranty on the Brembos hasn't changed but that can be attributed to the low replacement value of the rotors. The price distributors get for them now is only a fraction of what it used to be, about 6-9 bucks per rotor compared to 15 and up before. As a result our stock of Brembos nearly tripled from before and we now stock them among the generic rotors in our warehouse rather that in our premium section, mainly due to the volume we now carry.

A lot of you have probably noticed the amazing deals on "Brembo blanks" in the marketplace popping up over thee last year or so. Well, there's the reason why Brembos are getting so cheap, because they are cheap now.

Brembo now only manufactures ultra high end OEM and aftermarket, rumor is that soon they will be outsourcing all of their 1-piece rotors to China. So keep a look out for the "Made in Italy" stamp, Brembo will not stamp the Chinese sourced rotors with anything at all.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ZenDigital View Post
In regards to Brembo, I work at a warehouse that distributes parts for a lot of mechanics and parts stores (big box and mom n' pop) in the West Penn region like Pep Boys, Advance, Napa, etc etc...

We sell mostly rotors, hell it's our bread and butter. So you can imagine, we order rotors by the shipping container. Most of the generic rotors(Aimco,Wagner,Raybestos, ProChoice, Powerstop etc.) came from China on the same container from the same outsourced manufacturer. While our Brembo rotors had to be ordered directly and came in on our shipping container from Europe.

All that changed about 2 years ago, Brembo along with a few other premium manufacturers outsourced to China for their OEM lines.... To the very same company that sources the generic brands now. Our Brembos no longer have the "Made in Italy" stamp on them and they come in on the same container from China now. And most unfortunately, they also come with the same quality as the other Chinese sourced rotors because they now cost the same as the other Chinese sourced rotors though the MSRP on the invoices remain higher that the generic brands. Just paying for the name at this point. The warranty on the Brembos hasn't changed but that can be attributed to the low replacement value of the rotors. The price distributors get for them now is only a fraction of what it used to be, about 6-9 bucks per rotor compared to 15 and up before. As a result our stock of Brembos nearly tripled from before and we now stock them among the generic rotors in our warehouse rather that in our premium section, mainly due to the volume we now carry.

A lot of you have probably noticed the amazing deals on "Brembo blanks" in the marketplace popping up over thee last year or so. Well, there's the reason why Brembos are getting so cheap, because they are cheap now.

Brembo now only manufactures ultra high end OEM and aftermarket, rumor is that soon they will be outsourcing all of their 1-piece rotors to China. So keep a look out for the "Made in Italy" stamp, Brembo will not stamp the Chinese sourced rotors with anything at all.
Man, you just saved me a big money waste, was very curious as to why a set of brembo blanks was only 100$ on our local craigslist (cheap for where I live) when it used to be dbl or even triple that. No made in italy stamp on them.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:17 PM
The Grumpiest

So much for "Brembo blanks are better".
Old 08-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very nice thanks
Old 08-25-2013, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by grumblemarc View Post
So much for "Brembo blanks are better".
Yeah - so who's left now? I thought there were some Made-in-Australia ones out there that are still decent; can't think of the brand name though.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong View Post
Yeah - so who's left now? I thought there were some Made-in-Australia ones out there that are still decent; can't think of the brand name though.
You might check out Ate, they're a German OE manufacturer that makes some pretty good rotors, I have a set on my car now and have put roughly 30k on them without any issues. If you manage to find some I suggest you scoop them up, I'm hearing that Ate is going to shutdown their OEM line soon.

I've also heard good things about the Bosch Quietcast rotors, they are still made in China, but from a Bosch owned plant. The only thing I can really say about them from personal experiece is they they are much lighter than the usual China sourced rotors, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. They also come packed dry, as in they aren't covered in grease like the Chinese cheapos are.

Another brand you might look into VGX, one of our best clients uses those exclusively and swears by them, he's been trying to convince my boss to start stocking them so he doesn't have to buy from our main competitor.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:50 PM

Interesting, re: VGX. More info here: http://vgxbrakes.com/ and here: http://autopartsource.com/companyNews/index.php

Description states rotors are manufactured in Brazil from Brazilian steel. Price for a Civic front rotor (240mm) is a whopping $17. And free shipping, even to CANADA. I'll sign up for that.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:24 PM

Note also that the brake pads they retail, are Made in Canada, unbelievably. New World Friction. These companies are definitely worth checking out. Thanks for the tip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [FAQ] Your Guide to Buying Quality Aftermarket Maintenance Parts for your Civic

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: