Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ordering new keys/ignition column - how does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Ordering new keys/ignition column - how does it work?

So if I want to order a new ignition column from Honda (#1 or #2):

How exactly would this work? Do they send me a completely fresh key and ignition combo? Do I have to give them my vin so they can cut the keys and the ignition to match? If I get a new set of keys and ignition column will I need the rest of the locks for the doors in order for the keys to match up?

I am just confused as to how they would do this. I would prefer to have a whole new set of keys that obviously would match up with the new ignition column (in other words...like getting the locks changed on a house).
Old 03-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ordering new keys/ignition column - how does it work?

Best thing to do is to call them up and ask, i know you can buy ignition tumblers, but not sure if they'll sell you a lock that fits for the rest of the car. worst comes to worse you can always use 2 keys. ( 1 for ign, other for door locks)
Old 03-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have to buy a whole set of lock cylinders and replace all of them in the car if you want to use one key for all. After my civic was stolen/recovered, I just replaced the ignition cylinder with a new one, and have two keys on the key chain now.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All the tumblers come with different keys, you'll need to have them all re-keyed if you want them to match.

Why do you want to change tumblers?

Last edited by mechanix619; 03-31-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: This "reason for editing" is stupid.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait, I'm still a little confused. When you buy new tumblers, they automatically send you a different combination? For example, say I buy a new ignition column. Will they send me a fresh key and tumbler with it that does not match my car?

For those that are curious...my ignition column was broken by thieves and that is why I need to replace it.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 PM

Go to your local honda dealership and ask for a tumbler for ignition, door, and trunk. They will give you 2 keys with them
Old 04-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You do not need to buy new tumblers unless they broke your ignition tumbler; I'm guessing they just broke the ignition piece in order to break the wheel lock. Buy a new column (if the column is actually bad), ignition, and swap tumblers. The tumblers come out of the ignition. I've done it before because I didn't want to change all my locks.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:43 PM
New User

I'm curious to know how to install the new key cylinder in the ignition switch. I have a Civic 1998 and I have to replace the whole ignition switch but conserving my old ignition key. Anyone with an idea of how to do it?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dervedeu
I'm curious to know how to install the new key cylinder in the ignition switch. I have a Civic 1998 and I have to replace the whole ignition switch but conserving my old ignition key. Anyone with an idea of how to do it?
Can't, get a new one.

every ignition has its own key.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess we need to get a few things straight. Is your old tumbler damaged? If it is damaged you will need to buy a new one and get it re-keyed in order to use your stock key. If your old tumbler is okay then you can install it into the new ignition housing.

There is a screw you need to take out and then you need to push down a push pin. When taking out and installing the tumbler keep the key inside the tumbler. Also, you will need to remove the wire harness from the ignition housing. Installing the tumbler can be a tad tricky but it can be done.

Last edited by mechanix619; 04-02-2009 at 09:07 AM. Reason: edit
Old 04-02-2009, 02:31 PM
New User

Hi Mechanix9619:

I guess I didn't make myself clear. The old tumbler is fine and I want I keep it so I have the same key for all the locks in the car. The screw and the pin thing I have figured them out because I bought a used ignition switch and removed the tumbler. However, by doing it I got myself into trouble because a U shaped pin, a small spring and a thin piece of metal popped out and I haven't figured out how to place them back when I'll put my car's ignition key (tumbler) into the new ignition switch. See attached picture of the 'new' ignition switch with the parts that popped out.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah, right on. Well, your 95% done. The three loose pieces there are a slight pain. My best advice is to play with it a little, I don't remember off the top of my head how they fit.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get some good lighting, and sit down for a little while. It is a PITA. That spring needs to sit on a small little lip/pin/bevel/whatever you would call it. Then from there the u shaped pin will fit into that thin piece of metal. and you will slide that into place with the spring still sitting in it's place. Eventually you should get that metal piece in all the way with the spring being compressed.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:31 AM
New User

Yes, Alacard, but how?? I'd love to see a scheme or some pictures illustrating how to do it. Is the spring sitting on top of the little metal piece that shows in my picture? How and where exactly?

Thanks for the answer!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll be out in my garage, I'll take some pictures for you man. It is a bit tricky. The best thing to do is to just mess with it. Do you not have any ignitions to look off of?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to pull the ignition off of the column itself you just drill the two rivets out dont you?

this is how i pulled my ignition off of my column. i didnt know if it was the right way, but thats the only way i saw how to do it.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, You can also just drill some slits in them so that you can use a flat head screwdriver.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:12 PM
New User

Hi Alacard:

In fact this car is a friend's car and he's in trouble with his ignition key. We have to remove his ignition key but I'm afraid I'll get into the same mess when I'll pull out the tumbler from his damaged ignition switch. What I want to avoid is to end up with two ignition switches in pieces and being unable to install the new ignition switch. I'll wait for your pictures before I venture into removing his damaged ignition switch.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What screw needs to come out in order to pull the key and tumbler out to replace in a new ignition. I have done this once before on my 93 civic but have forgotten how to do it.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:52 PM
New User

It's been a while since I did it but I remember that there was a screw that requires an Allen key. After you're done with it, there's a small pin beside the key that you have to push. Then, go carefully because that's when I got in trouble. When you pull the tumbler, the spring, the little pin and the 'U' shape pin jump in the air!
Old 04-08-2024, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Alacard:

In fact this car is a friend's car and he's in trouble with his ignition key. We have to remove his ignition key but I'm afraid I'll get into the same mess when I'll pull out the tumbler from his damaged ignition switch. What I want to avoid is to end up with two ignition switches in pieces and being unable to install the new ignition switch. I'll wait for your pictures before I venture into removing his damaged ignition switch.
I know this is an OLD thread but did you ever figure out how the spring is supposed to go? It's so hard getting the tumbler to go back in and I don't know how far out the interlock metal piece needs to be, in addition where the position needs to be and what pushes down the switch inside.