Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] Sway bar theory

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [FAQ] Sway bar theory

Here is a sway bar comparison: JDM Type R, USDM Type R snd lastly a stock EX sway off of a 93 civic coupe (should this also go in the autocross board?).

All pictures are titled but the last one (i think you get the point in the end which is which).

Here you can notice they all have the same bends and design

Here you can see which is bigger (i dont know specs). The USDM R is bigger then the EX by alot, the JDM R is bigger then the USDM R slightly (like i stated before i need specs ).

Here are all of the end links. The EX is different at the joint, but it mounts up to the car exactly like the R's so in the end it makes no difference right?

Here are all 3 again, notice the EX is slightly lower then the rest. The EX hangs the least on the car. The R's tend to bottem out a bit more (in a lowered car) because of this.

One final shot of the 3 amigos...

Modified by Nerologic at 7:29 AM 5/23/2004
Old 05-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Sway bar theory (Nerologic)

bigger + better?
bump to put on my recent topics list
Old 05-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for the specs of the 3.....
Old 05-22-2004, 10:46 PM

Default Re: (Nerologic)

Bump for my recent topics as well, also- I 've heard that sway bars can cause damage w/o reinforcement. Is this true? I heard this regarding larger than OEM sways in the rear of the car I think.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

umm the only problem i have had with sway bars is in the front. I installed a JDM R onto a 98 DX hatch and the linkage was hitting the sway bar (it had a GSR) i just had to tweek the linkage a bit and it stopped hitting. Other then that i have not had any problems, unless i dont understand your question...
Old 05-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nerologic)

i think he is ytalking about them getting riped off by speed bumps and that sort
and trearing the frame
Old 05-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CaptivaBlue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaptivaBlue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bump for my recent topics as well, also- I 've heard that sway bars can cause damage w/o reinforcement. Is this true? I heard this regarding larger than OEM sways in the rear of the car I think.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, there have been issues of subframe damage with rear anti-sway bars. But even with reinforcement plates, some subframes have still torn themselves apart. I run a 22mm Progress rear anti-sway bar and have had no subframe issues, and I drive my car fairly hard sometimes. I've had it for about two years now.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya im with daniel i havent had any issues with my car ripping the sheet metal out and i had a JDM R rear on my EX coupe for about 1 year of taking corners
Old 05-23-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Re: [FAQ] Sway bar theory (H22A EG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22A EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bigger + better?
bump to put on my recent topics list</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, bigger is not all ways better. For the front, basicly the bigger you go, the more your car will be front bias. It really depends on what your overall suspension setup is (springs, tires, shocks, and most importanly rear swaybar), what your looking for.

For me, I had an OEM del Sol Si front swaybar (forgot the actuall diameter) and a USDM ITR rear swaybar, match with tein HA's and potenza s03 tires. In autocross, I was getting too much oversteer then what I was comfortable with. I recently upgraded to 24mm front swaybar (came off a GSR, same diameter as a USDM ITR front swaybar) and now my car is much more nuetreal. This is the way that I like it. However, many people have diffrent tastes in cars handling. Many actually run with NO front swaybar, which leads to massive amounts of oversteer.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Re: (Daniel)

that makes me feel a little better, i just ordered the adjustable progress bar on thursday and thurs night i saw a thread about tons of torn subframes. still plan to reinforce it somehow.... ill try to find the thread....
Old 05-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sceg)

good thread im gettin the rear gsr sway and front ex sway next week. will let ya know how it works out.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sceg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sceg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that makes me feel a little better, i just ordered the adjustable progress bar on thursday and thurs night i saw a thread about tons of torn subframes. still plan to reinforce it somehow.... ill try to find the thread....</TD></TR></TABLE>
You'll be happy with it. I love mine and have had no issues with it. Just wish it would come in a different color, though.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:17 PM

Default Re: (Daniel)

im gonna have a rainbow under there soon, so many damn colors....
Old 05-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

soo...specs anyone??
Old 06-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

middle of no where Montana bump...
Old 06-08-2004, 04:11 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

so let me try to understand this, i have a 94 dx, i have no sway bar, if i took a 92-95 ex stock sway bar and put it on my car would it be worth it? like any handleing difference?
Old 06-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: [FAQ] Sway bar theory (asmallsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by asmallsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I recently upgraded to 24mm front swaybar (came off a GSR, same diameter as a USDM ITR front swaybar) and now my car is much more nuetreal. This is the way that I like it. However, many people have diffrent tastes in cars handling. Many actually run with NO front swaybar, which leads to massive amounts of oversteer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah thing is most people are sheep and follow the herd.

the general populous heard that big rear swaybars gives you oversteer,
oversteer makes your car feel like its rwd.. and drifting is in nowadays.

so there you go,everyone wants big *** rear swaybars,
and thats what most people get.

I for one want a mild rearbar with an ex/si bar on my eg hatch.
i'm thinking 19mm rear, cuz the only other option under 20mm would be a gsr 14mm bar.. which might be overkill in the mild department.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vtecin94dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtecin94dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so let me try to understand this, i have a 94 dx, i have no sway bar, if i took a 92-95 ex stock sway bar and put it on my car would it be worth it? like any handleing difference?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you must have a EX (civic)/DC integra from K bar or what ever its called, on you car to make the front sway work. i will post pictures of the part latefr on tonight. I will also do a write up install on a JDM R sway ont a 96 DX (i had to change out the k memeber) later on this week.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Sway bar theory (Tad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah thing is most people are sheep and follow the herd.

the general populous heard that big rear swaybars gives you oversteer,
oversteer makes your car feel like its rwd.. and drifting is in nowadays.

so there you go,everyone wants big *** rear swaybars,
and thats what most people get.

I for one want a mild rearbar with an ex/si bar on my eg hatch.
i'm thinking 19mm rear, cuz the only other option under 20mm would be a gsr 14mm bar.. which might be overkill in the mild department.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you say so. Oversteer does NOT equal drifting. It can help prevent understeer which SUCKS when on track. Oversteer (assuming its controlable) tends to be the preferred car setup. I went from a 400F/500R, no front bar and 22mm rear bar setup... very oversteer, but very nice.

I've now got a 22mm front, 22mm rear and 16k springs up front with 14k rear. Also 2.5degrees front camber 1.5 rear. Format pushes a little, but staggered tires should fix that and allow me to take advantage of the amazing turn-in and grip.

Swaybars provide a somewhat simple formula for adding/subtracting oversteer and understeer. Springs also play a part in this. Don't leave out camber.

Also, rear subframes coming apart tend to be due to soft springs being used with large bars. In those situations the bars exert more force and thus increase the load on the subframe.

Old 06-17-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Re: [FAQ] Sway bar theory (asmallsol)

i wanna put 22mm rear sway bar and 18mm sway bar in the front anybody have aset up like this? if so how does it handle?
Old 06-17-2004, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in order to install a sway bar into your car that does not have a sway from the factory u need a arm that looks like the one to the left, the one on the right is off of a DX and does not have the hole for the sway bar end link
Old 06-17-2004, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nerologic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in order to install a sway bar into your car that does not have a sway from the factory u need a arm that looks like the one to the left, the one on the right is off of a DX and does not have the hole for the sway bar end link
</TD></TR></TABLE>

fyi, that's the front LCA. i got a whole gsr front subframe (front knuckles, brakes, lcas, swaybar with endlinks and subframe tiebar) for $125 from hmotorsonline.com. it all bolted in . i havent driven it yet... i just installed my rear discs, MC, and prop valve, and havent bled my brakes yet =P
Old 06-17-2004, 11:40 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

go to hondaautotiveparts.com,
look up the swaybar you want info on,
it will say the diameter of the bar.

I believe there is an acura version of that site,
but I forget the url
Old 06-18-2004, 12:01 AM
NrG

Default Re: (Tad)

hope you know how sway bar works. Just because they all look the same, doesnt mean they are.
You mention the thickness of the type-r. thicker = stiffer ?
Old 06-18-2004, 12:40 AM
New User

Default Re: (Tad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go to hondaautotiveparts.com,
look up the swaybar you want info on,
it will say the diameter of the bar.

I believe there is an acura version of that site,
but I forget the url</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org

Quick Reply: [FAQ] Sway bar theory