Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] Ram Air for Short Ram Intakes and Mugen Style Air Boxes.

Old 08-01-2004, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [FAQ] Ram Air for Short Ram Intakes and Mugen Style Air Boxes.

My first FAQ attemp so dont flame if it's already covered.

Background: I use to have an AC Autotechnic CAI with AEM bypass. However, since the CAI is inside below the fender well it is a pain in the *** to clean it. The I saw JDMSH!T was selling the Mugen style knock-off air intakes. I quickly ordered one (got the last one actually, when I called). I was going to use my AC Autotechnic as a short ram but it was too small (2.5" inlet VS the 3" inlet). So I went ahead and ordered me a K&N filter with 3" inlet connection. Now the item JDMSH!T sent me was the box (obviously!), an aluminum tube with 3" inlet to connect to the stock intake pipe, 2 brackets, a long *** 4" home depot lookingbendable tube which is suppose to provide the ram air, a Type-R metal sticker thingy (LMAO) and 4 rivets. OK so my reasoning for this FAQ is that I didn't like the home depot looking thingy so I decided to go to my garage and dig for my old air box from my car. So before we begin let's take a look at the image:

OK... this is what we are going to modify. A lot of people throw this away because they think it's a piece of junk. Well not to my idea. This item will provide cold air for both your intake and engine.

Step 1: Cut the front part of this box. This will provide the opening for the ram air.

Step 2: Cut the front part of this tube halfway to where the fron is cut and will route the forced air inside the tube.

Step 3: Cut this tube all the way to where it is the same lenght of the other opening, making the tube look like a U.

Step 4: In the bottom section of the U tube, cut an opening. This will provide ram air to the intake AND the engine.

Put your intake together and put this part back in the car. Then place the Mugen style box on top of the hole opening (Yes it fits I have done this on mine). The other opening (from stock air intake) will provide the cold air to the engine bay.

Now you have a less ghetto looking intake. I say 10X better than the home depot looking tube). How do I know this works? Here's how:

I connected a USB ODBII scanner to my onboard CAR PC (yes I have a computer on my Civic! A real PC with XP) and used OBDII SCan Master to scan the air temp of the intake. Sitting around the car intake temp was 65 degrees centigrade (damn that is hot). So I drove around for about 45 minutes and watched the temp drop from 65 to 37 degrees centigrade going 45 MPH. Also, before I did this mod, the front portion of my hood always feels hot. After this mod, the front is more cooler to the touch.

This can benefit short ram intakes as well. So if you have this part, don't throw it away, make it the extension for your short ram and supplement it to become as close to a CAI.

Thanks for reading my FAQ. Try it!

[BTW: JDMSH!T is the ****! Their product is awesome! (Except for the home depot thingy!) Oh yeah, I scrapped the Type-R sticker thingy too lol]

Update: Actual Pics. Sorry I didn't want to take my bumper off since I am too lazy but I think you'll get the idea.

That's it!

Modified by REDGEAR at 5:57 PM 8/3/2004
Old 08-02-2004, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ooo yeah computer in my car too. go mp3car =]