Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] Official Parts List for an Auto to Manual Swap on an EG

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [FAQ] Official Parts List for an Auto to Manual Swap on an EG

I just got my car back today from the shop from my automatic to manual conversion on my 1994 Civic EX (EJ1). Now, this car is SOO much fun to drive now that it's a manual. I did a lot of reading here on HT before I started buying parts.

I wanted to be absolutley sure that I had every part nessacary so when I took my car to the shop to get it swapped they would be able to do it as fast as possible. A lot of the information (mainly parts lists) I read here on Honda-Tech was incomplete or just completey wrong.

Thus I have compliled a complete parts list while it's still fresh in my head so other people don't run into the same problems as I did. As a note, this swap was done on my EG and the parts list is for an EG. Now, I used strictly EG parts because I 100% sure that they would work. Now, I do not know if you'll be able to use EK/DC parts on your EG you'll have to try that on your own, now I am running a d16z6 motor, so all my parts are D series parts.

The parts I'm listing are from EG Civics. Now, with each part I list I will go into detail where you can buy it and what it's function is.

Transmission - This is by far the biggest part that you'll be having to purchase. You'll need to buy one that is compatible with your motor D/B/H series which ever motor you have. From my reading, I've learned that all D series motors are 's20' transmissions. I bought my tranny from a local import, reason being because it had low mileage and it came with a warranty. The only downside to this is that I did not know what kind of car is was coming out of, DX, LX, EX etc. I was lucky and got an EX/Si tranny. Any D series transmission will work on your D series motor. You can find this part at local junkyards/transmission shops.

Clutch/Flywheel/Pressure Plate - These parts are obvious in their function. I used an OEM style clutch/flywheel and pressure plate. Now, the comboinations for these are endless. Use whatever brand/style you prefer. This is one part that I HIGHLY recommend buying brand new so you don't run into any problems later on. This is one of the few parts that can take constant abuse from the driver. You can purchase these across various internet websites and autopart stores. When using the manual flywheel you will need to get manual flywheel bolts, this was pointed out to be by a user. I simply neglected to mention it.

Starter - You will need a manual starter for your new manual transmission, your automatic one will not line up correctly, thus not allowing it to work. Again, this is a part that I would recommend buying brand new because it's a very crucial part to driving your car. Again, you can purchase these at autopart stores/internet websites.

Clutch Resovir - This peice holds your clutch fluid and also the master cylindar sits on the opposite side of it. This is a part that you can buy used from a local junkyard.

Hydraulic Lines - These steel lines run from the clutch resovir, and connect to the slave cylindar. Now, there are two pieces of this line. One that connects to the cluch resovir, and the other to the slave and these two peices meet in the middle.

Slave Cylindar - This part connects to your transmission. I was lucky and my tranny already had one on it. You can purchase this part at a local junkyard.

Master Cylindar - Like I stated earlier, this peice sits on the other side of your clutch resovir and connects to the clutch pedal itself. This is a piece that I got lost on. My master cylindar never came with the cotter pin that is needed. Now, this peice connects to master cylindar to the clutch pedal itself and allows you to engage the clutch. You can find this part at an junkyard.

ECU - This is the computer portion of your car and allows it to run effectivley. You will need a manual one for which ever motor you're running. Now, you can turn you're existing automatic ECU into a manual one. Now, I'm not sure how to go about this process, I just found it easier to buy a new one. Now, I found that most junkyards don't carry these on hand. I bought mine from Honda-Tech.

Pedal Assembly - You're going to need new pedals for this. Although, you can use your existing AT Brake/Gas pedal the clutch and brake will sit EXTREAMLY close together and could result in hazerdous driving. This part can be purchased from a junkyard.

Throttle Cable - This is the part that I never had and never knew I would need. My EG At throttle cable WOULD NOT work due to this mechanism that is found the on the AT gas pedal. With the manual pedal, the cable has a bigger end that goes into the car and allows it to sit securly on the gas pedal. Again, can be purchased from a junkyard.

Shift Linkage - This the peice that connects the shifter to the transmission and allows you to shift gears. As long as these peices aren't bent it will function properly. Again, junkyard for this peice.

Manual Console Piece - Your AT console peice will not work with a shift boot (well, you can modify it). I found one in mint condition for cheap, so I just picked that up. Junkyard it.

Shift Boot - Now, you don't 'need' this part or the shift boot for the car to function properly it just cleans up the interior. Junk yard it.

Shift **** - Peice that sits on the top of the shifter. Junkyard it.

Shifter - Now, you may want to use an OEM shifter or a short shifter. I use a Tenzo short shifter and I'm happy with it. Junkyard or website/autoparts store.

Shifter Bushings - You'll need several bushings for the shift linkage so it sits nice and tight, I purchased these parts brand new from Honda.

Mounts - A lot of people are under the belief that you can use an OEM top manual mount on your automatic chassi. This is incorrect, well you can use one but you will need to weld it to the tranny. I picked up a mount from JDMSh!t.com, the good thing about this mount is that it's made for an automatic chassi, and also a manual transmission. It's 100% bolt up. Placeracing.com/Hasport also make similar mounts.

Now, I mentioned 'mounts'. Yes, you will need more than one. I just mentioned the upper mount, the other mount is referred to as the front/lower mount. You can use an OEM manual mount for this one, it'll bolt directly to the frame of the car.

Inspection Plate - This is one peice that I had NEVER heard of. Basically, it sits on the bottom of the transmission and is sort of like a splash guard for the transmission. Junk yard for it as well.

Now, I know I'm forgetting something. I just know I am. If I'm missing anything, feel free to update this. But these are the parts I used for my AT/MT swap and it runs great!!

Feel free to check out my project.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1246232

Special thanks to everyone who has helped me with this swap, espically Luserkid, SRCivic97 and Builttb18c5!

Modified by JDM-EJ1 at 7:50 PM 7/22/2005

Modified by JDM-EJ1 at 7:51 PM 7/22/2005

Modified by JDM-EJ1 at 1:24 PM 4/9/2008
Old 07-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: **Official CORRECT parts list for an AT/MT swap on an EG** (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-T Forum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Error:

You are only authorized to edit your own posts.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bad link...

Sounds good, MT rocks!
Old 07-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **Official CORRECT parts list for an AT/MT swap on an EG** (JDM-EJ1)

thanks! this will come in handy for me
Old 07-22-2005, 06:49 PM
I hate everything

Default Re: **Official CORRECT parts list for an AT/MT swap on an EG** (HiProfile)

Yeah, sorry, i got the same error message, im going to fix it now.

One second guys....
Old 07-22-2005, 06:52 PM
I hate everything

Default Re: **Official CORRECT parts list for an AT/MT swap on an EG** (BuilttB18C5)

Fixed

Yeah, im EJ1's bro, and that thing runs great, we hit a small snag this morning when wiring up his front end, but we finally got that bitch out on the road
Old 07-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Electrician

Great write-up. This question comes up every week.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:02 PM
I hate everything

Default Re: (Deemeetree)

Well, then i'll bump to keep it on top, lol
Old 07-22-2005, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (BuilttB18C5)

nice you could have gotten the es shift bushings instead of oem a little bit stiffer feel to the shifts.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (e jay one)

Great job remembering the clutch cover (inspection plate) I had to find that one out the hard way. I had a whole document prepared as a PDF; it covered the entire MT conversion with wiring diagrams, part #'s, torque specs, the works. It came out to like 30 pages, the day before I uploaded it my ******* neighbors decided to leave their bathroom sink faucet open while they went away for the weekend. The water leaked through the floor right onto my laptop, good-bye write up.

I'm thinking of starting over again. The MT conversion issue comes up every week.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:55 PM

i would like to add that you will need Manual flywheel bolts which are longer than auto.
maybe some wires for the reverse light
Old 07-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Electrician

Everyone add on information if need be, or edit the original post.

This will be on the FAQ's page soon.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Starter - You will need a manual starter for your new manual transmission, your automatic one will not line up correctly, thus not allowing it to work. Again, this is a part that I would recommend buying brand new because it's a very crucial part to driving your car. Again, you can purchase these at autopart stores/internet websites</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should have said because it doesnt line up to the flywheel since its a different flywheel all together. And like mentioned you forgot about the bolts. Also you forgot tranny fluid and the world famous. bitch pin.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: **Official CORRECT parts list for an AT/MT swap on an EG** (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You should have said because it doesnt line up to the flywheel since its a different flywheel all together. And like mentioned you forgot about the bolts. Also you forgot tranny fluid and the world famous. bitch pin. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're correct Victor. And yes, I did forget the bitch pin, I knew I was missing something. I think tranny fluid is pretty self explanitory though. haha.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:13 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info Stuart
Old 07-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: **Official CORRECT parts list for an AT/MT swap on an EG** (litterbox)

HERES SOME CIVIC D SERIES TRANNY INFO

S20= 92-95
S40= 96-00
look near the tranny fill plug.........

A000 = small bearing case = CX/DX/HX/VX case, BAD!
B000 = large bearing case = EX/Si case, GOOD!

D16y8 trans = Pa4/B000, shortest gears
Old 07-23-2005, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice info
Old 07-23-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Re: **Official CORRECT parts list for an AT/MT swap on an EG** (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great info Stuart </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man, I see this question pretty frequently, and when I did a search nothing helpful really came up. This should help.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:49 AM

is a manual throttle cable necessary?

and

that front/lower mount can i use the 1 from my automatic transmission?

Inspection Plate &lt;- any pictures of this?

parts #'s?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:06 AM

Default Re: **Official CORRECT parts list for an AT/MT swap on an EG** (idriveadelsol7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by idriveadelsol7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is a manual throttle cable necessary?

and

that front/lower mount can i use the 1 from my automatic transmission?

Inspection Plate &lt;- any pictures of this?

parts #'s?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you WILL need a manual throttle cable. If you can look at the two and both gas pedals, you'll see why. No, you will need to get an aftermarket top tranny mount, and an lower OEM manual mount.

The inspection plate is a splash guard that sits on the bottom of the tranny, I don't even have it myself, but it is needed.

Sorry, no part numbers.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:49 AM
grammer nawzi

Nice write-up
Old 07-25-2005, 05:37 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: **Official CORRECT parts list for an AT/MT swap on an EG** (sicky)

Good stuff!
Old 07-25-2005, 09:23 AM

Default Re: **Official CORRECT parts list for an AT/MT swap on an EG** (BauleyCivic)

Excellent write up man and thanks for the m/\d props!

Luserkid will be doing mine in roughly 2 weeks. When it's completed Luserkid and I will do a write up for the EK. There are definitely small differences
Old 07-25-2005, 09:24 AM

Default Re: [FAQ] Official Parts List for an Auto to Manual Swap on an EG (JDM-EJ1)

Good write up this should be a stickie due to the fact it comes up so often
Old 07-25-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: **Official CORRECT parts list for an AT/MT swap on an EG** (BauleyCivic)

Thanks a lot guys! I had fun writing it, because I knew it would help a lot of people.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:25 PM

anybody have pictures of the oem lower manual mount?

Quick Reply: [FAQ] Official Parts List for an Auto to Manual Swap on an EG