Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] DIY RSX Front and Rear Seats into 96-00 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how-to for RSX front and rears in an EK coupe

EDIT: this is hosted on my website along with other guides and build pics: http://www.lukekailburn.com

hey guys im not sure if i ever posted my front seats but i finished the rears about 3 months ago and never got around to posting them so i'll just include both in this how-to

for the front seats:

materials:

3/16" x 3" steel-- very thick and very heavy stuff!
nuts, bolts washers -- i'm going to have the peices welded on instead of bolted on in the near future
cobalt drill bit(meant for hard metals)
drill press--doing it with a hand drill takes atleast 5 times as long!! i know cuz i did two brackets that way then used my drill press
disc grinder/cutting tool to cut off rivets
basic socket wrench set
lots of time brainstorming and then lots more time for fabrication and even more time for tweeking

-the drivers rear left bracket and the passengers rear right bracket must be cut off and a new bracket has to be made. here you can see the old bracket cut off and then the new one that i made

for the rest of the corners i simply made 'extension brackets' that allowed me to bolt em to the oem holes.
-to design the 'extension brackets' i simply cut out cardboard templates and held them inplace and marked where the two holes would have to be
here are the "extension brackets"

driver seat

front left:

front right

rear

passenger seat

front left

front right:bolted into oem hole. this pulls the seat closer to the door but still very comfortabl. i was just too lazy to change it to how the driver side is

rear

NOTE: Don't forget to swap over the stock seat belt clicker thing

-when i get my welder im going to take the brackets all out, round off the edges and then weld them in place and paint em black to blend in.

for the rears:

-remove the stock seats

-remove the steel plates from the stock seat backs

-paint the stock steel plates color of choice(flat black looks best) and then bolt them up to the oem mounts

-bend the rear "bracket" on the RSX bottom cushion to allow it to bolt into the car. the two side "brackets" can be ignored

-take apart the rsx seat backs so you have the fabric foam and plate all seperated

-holding the foam peices in the car mark off about an inch or inch and a half on the outsides that will be cut off. this is to line up the 'seems' on the backs with the 'seems' on the bottom cusion.

-after you cut off the outsides and have the lines lining up mark about 5inches on the inside part of the left foam peice. this will be removed so that the seats will actually fit inplace.

-after cutting that reinstall the foam and check your work. tweek were necessary.

-on the back of the left RSX foam you'll have to cut out a little foam where the stock seat plate mounts in the middle. this mount sticks out pretty far and pushes the bottom of the seat outwards and doesn't look to good.

-once your satisfied with that put the RSX cloth back on the foam. the fabric will be loose now since you removed some foam earlier. to tighten it up i used about 8 safety

pins on each end of each peice to pull the fabric tight. this part takes a while and is actually kinda of a pain to get all the wrinkles out from the front and keep it nice and tight. i still need to tweek mine a bit because its still sorta loose

-after you'r satisfied with the tightness of the fabric you'll need to cut out the hard rubber strip in the same place you removed foam on the back of the left peice. this is for

the same reason. the hard rubber is in the way of that center mount and pushes the seat forward. so cut it out so the mount can sit 'inside' the foam and fabric without pushing the seat forward.

-when thats all done ssimply press fit the seats in place. i never actually attached them to the steel plates but they've been in for over 3 months with occasional rear seat

passengers and haven't moved at all. it posses no safety threat either since the seat belts still function 100% exactly the same and the steel plates are bolted into place exactly how they were before.

enjoy!

-Luke

Modified by lkailburn at 6:15 PM 3/3/2005

Modified by lkailburn at 6:48 PM 3/3/2005

Modified by lkailburn at 11:19 PM 9/28/2005

Modified by lkailburn at 1:22 PM 11/30/2006

Modified by lkailburn at 1:23 PM 11/30/2006
Old 03-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how-to for RSX front and rears in an EK coupe (lkailburn)

Great thread bro

Hopefully I can score a set of blk cloth rsx seats in the future
Old 03-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how-to for RSX front and rears in an EK coupe (EBP-Si)

i'm glad i ran across this thread. i have gray leather RSX seats in mind condition for sale. i wish i still had the fronts, but those have been sold. contact me on AIM if you want them. my name is T TrainXL. i'll take $75 for the rears, and they're PERFECT!!

(sorry for the "for sale" post) but its relative.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i were you, i'd take those brackets to a welder and have them welded. i'd also finish them off with a die grinder and replace those rusty old bolts with new ones. some black spray paint would do wonders too. great DIY tho
Old 03-03-2005, 09:21 AM

very impressed.

awesome write up
Old 03-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dantastic)

dan-- thats EXACTLY what i had in mind lol. i actually have that written in the DIY

"-when i get my welder im going to take the brackets all out, round off the edges and then weld them in place and paint em black to blend in.
"

it'll deffintly be extra peice of mind to have them welded and it will clean them up a lot when they are painted black and blend in

i wish i had some in progress pics of the rears for you guys but im glad you like the writeup anyways
Old 03-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats pretty tight
Old 03-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: how-to for RSX front and rears in an EK coupe (-Gambit-)

I think those brackets look like ***. I would clean those up a bit and at least paint them.

Also, why would you want those seats? They have got to weigh a good amount with those side airbags in there.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as soon as i get my welder im taking the brackets out, rounding them off then welding them in place and painting them gloss black.
if u've sat in rsx seats you'll know why i got em the seats are rediculously comfy

..that..and... i got the full set for 260 WITH an acura fabric treatment thats garunteed for 6 years
Old 03-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bet you cant get enough of this but those brackets do look like *** haha. you could've done a better job but otherwise good diy.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (p28jspeceg6)

nice work! BTW...What did you use to paint your door panels black?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:00 PM

Nice job on the fronts, but the back is a bit ghetto
Old 03-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i cant use this diy. but none the less very nice job bump
Old 03-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

civic-speed--yah i agree. the rears are a bit ghetto but when u consider how completely different the seats were i couldn't think of any other way to install them lol. i wouldn't recommend rsx rears to any civic owner because of the pain they are to install but overall im happy. the interior still holds a stockish look but is nice and clean..

TurboTagTeam-door panels are stock except for the red cloth. they are the dark charcoal
Old 03-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you deserve and E-Beer! too bad they dont have them on here anymore.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how-to for RSX front and rears in an EK coupe (THE GAME IS THICK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THE GAME IS THICK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you deserve and E-Beer! too bad they dont have them on here anymore. </TD></TR></TABLE>

???
Old 03-04-2005, 08:15 AM
F*CK THIEVES!

Default Re: how-to for RSX front and rears in an EK coupe (cxSHOE)

wow.thats a first!!
Old 03-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the beer

i hope this helps someone if they decide to tackle it
Old 03-11-2005, 10:04 AM

Bump for a good write up on something I will be doing very soon.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice thred
Old 03-11-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: how-to for RSX front and rears in an EK coupe (Em1guy)

theres kind of a easier but ghettoer way of doing it. For The fronts, on the 2 front brackets all u have to do is grind each of the sides of the bracket down enough so that piece could spin around freely 180 degrees then the holes will line up. One of the rear brackets bolts in and all u have is one more to worry about.

Modified by SNPNTRTL at 9:19 AM 3/12/2005
Old 03-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

even ghetto'er than mine ^^^

lol
Old 03-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

look nice
Old 03-17-2005, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how-to for RSX front and rears in an EK coupe (core3200tm)

ill be picking a set of these seats up for my car and ill be welding them however ill try to use as much of the oem parts as possible. Im also going to see what I can do about just switching the sliders from the seat bracket so they fit.

Someone mentioned some other **** about swaping the seat pans but the bolts dont line up, so there is a possibility that you could swap the seat pan and instead of bolting it to the seat you can weld it on there... so im going to have some fun dismantling the passenger seat to experiment with all of this.

I will be picking up a set of front and backs in the same color but I think ill just sell the back seats or throw them in the closet like my other back seats since I run gutted.

Good **** though, could've done a better job with your brackets, they dont look too safe and that one in the rear tilted to the side makes it look like your seat moves everytime you stop and go because of the angle of the bracket.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nah the seats don't move an inch. i honestly think they'd be fine forever this way but as i said above.. I AM GOING TO WELD THE BRACKETS ON. lol just for added safety. and i'll paint them gloss black for cosmetics.

the rails on the rsx seats are 2" narrower than the stock civic rails so if you swap anything it'd ahve to be EVERYTHING. even still. i have no idea if the civic pan, rails, sliders etc would fit into the rsx seat. i wasn't about to ruin the seats trying to swap everything over especially when i could do something much easier.

but goodluck with that. be sure to post up how your method works out. u can never have too much good info.

-Luke

Quick Reply: [FAQ] DIY RSX Front and Rear Seats into 96-00 Coupe