Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref.

Old 05-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref.

Now note this involves removing the manifold from the car and complete disassembly of the manifold so make sure you know what you are doing

Another great DIY for you guys! In order to pass the smog ref to get your JDM swap legalized you need an usdm intake manifold right? WRONG you just need your JDM manifold to perform and look like a USDM manifold. After a long time researching and comparing and trying to find a USDM p30 intake manifold from a 94-95 del sol vtec (which is impossible) don’t say “just get a 99 si manifold” because the 99 si manifold will not work they are too different. The only difference between the usdm and jdm OBDI intake manifold is the evap purge solenoid

Things needed:
Intake manifold gasket,
Throttle body gasket,
Small piece 3/16” tubing,
Carbon cleaner,
Rags,
Hammer,
Tap and drill
Evap purge solenoid from an OBDI car
2ft small OEM vacuum tubing
This is the evap purge solenoid, your car is already wired for it like mine, the plug just hangs because the JDM engine does not use it, I needed to lengthen my wires about 6 inches

Now to make this fit the manifold you need to make a vacuum port, and tap a hole to bolt the sensor to. That’s it, 2 things!
Here is the back of the manifold, there is a blank spot where the vacuum port needs to be drilled, use a drill bit the exact size of the 3/16” tubing or a bit smaller. Drill all the way through, make sure its all the way through, now gently tap your small piece of tubing in the hole, you may want to use silicon but mine was very snug so I didn’t need to. Make sure it works, blow through it.

Now the blank spot on the top of the manifold

This is where the hole to bolt it needs to be drilled and tapped
I used a 10-24 machine bit because that’s what I had, but if you want to keep it metric it needs to be smaller than 6mm because that’s to big, so a 4 or 5mm tap will be ok, I just didn’t have one.
Drill and tap the threads.

Now clean the manifold thoroughly inside and out, clean the inside very well with carbon cleaner and make sure to get all the metal shavings out, this will help the engine run cleaner also better for smog
Now reinstall the freshly cleaned manifold and new evap purge solenoid, you will need to run a small vacuum tube from the bottom of the solenoid to the new vacuum port and then run about 2ft of vacuum hoe from the other port on the evap purge solenoid to the charcoal canister.

Now its installed and all the vacuum lines run

That’s it your all ready to go to the ref and get that BAR sticker
Old 05-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref. (akumaracer)

Hmm... i didnt have any problems with my intake mani when i went for the test. But then again its not a SI mani either.

If that would help someone then good work
Old 05-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref. (Luserkid)

they didnt give you a hard time about the evap purge solenoid not being hooked up? thats weird, but luckey for you, they should have traced the vacuum line from the charcoal canister and this is the first one they trace, with out your #7 emissions hose will just lay there.

Im sure this will help people trying to legalize JDM b16 swaps
Old 05-09-2004, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref. (akumaracer)

Nice writeup.
I will definately be posting this link in the FAQ thread.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:12 PM

goto your parts store and get this stuff called "guaranteed to pass" follow the directions and youre golden
Old 05-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref. (JDM-97CX)

I'd do this on my JDM b16a sir2, but I live in an area where they don't have smog tests.

Nice writeup!

i'll try to check out the evap purge solenoid at least. hehe
Old 05-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref. (hybridvteceg)

yeah i use that stuff too, but here in cali to legalize your JDM swap it needs to be just like the USDM counter part and they trace all vacuum lines and you need to have this sensor hooked up and jdm engines dont use it, and instead of buying a brande new usdm intake manifold from the dealer for $350 i did this for about 25 bucks total including new gaskets and used sensor
Old 05-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why didn't you just tee off of another vacuum line and then zip tie the sensor to the brake lines in order to pass smog? A lot less effort and time spent and you would have had the same basic outcome (unless those smog refs would be gay about it being ziptied instead of properly mounted....). Anyways, nice writeup
Old 05-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Trial User

Default Re: DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref. (b16a ferio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16a ferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why didn't you just tee off of another vacuum line and then zip tie the sensor to the brake lines in order to pass smog? A lot less effort and time spent and you would have had the same basic outcome (unless those smog refs would be gay about it being ziptied instead of properly mounted....). Anyways, nice writeup </TD></TR></TABLE>

i was thinkin the same thing..
Old 05-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akumaracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
trying to find a USDM p30 intake manifold from a 94-95 del sol vtec (which is impossible) </TD></TR></TABLE>

i got one for sale! its pretty much bare though
Old 05-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref. (b16a ferio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16a ferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why didn't you just tee off of another vacuum line and then zip tie the sensor to the brake lines in order to pass smog? A lot less effort and time spent and you would have had the same basic outcome (unless those smog refs would be gay about it being ziptied instead of properly mounted....). Anyways, nice writeup </TD></TR></TABLE>

that would make the sensor work but the smog ref guys can be pretty **** about things and how they are supossed to be, also i dont really like zip tying things and stuff like that, i would rather take a little more time and do it right.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akumaracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that would make the sensor work but the smog ref guys can be pretty **** about things and how they are supossed to be, also i dont really like zip tying things and stuff like that, i would rather take a little more time and do it right.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Got to keep it clean..
Old 05-09-2004, 10:48 PM

Default Re: DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref. (Greasemonkey)

Always good to know these things. :Saved:
Old 05-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

writeup =
Old 05-10-2004, 06:44 PM

Default Re: (SpoonFedHatch)

man i love you ... write up = .... it time to find a intake manifold now smart guy ..
Old 05-13-2004, 01:01 PM

can we get a vacuum diagram for the b16 ? any one have it ???
Old 05-13-2004, 11:05 PM

Default Re: DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref. (fastontheturns)

fyi: the ctr manifold has the vaccum port

same as del sol manifold
Old 05-14-2004, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref. (bossman032)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bossman032 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fyi: the ctr manifold has the vaccum port

same as del sol manifold </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think your right, the ITR manifold is the same as well ( i think the ITR and the CTR manifold are the same part) and they do have that vacuum port and hole already tapped
Old 05-14-2004, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref. (fastontheturns)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastontheturns &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can we get a vacuum diagram for the b16 ? any one have it ??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

looks pretty much like any stock 92-95 civic (with tb mounted map sensor)
Old 05-18-2004, 11:07 AM

Default Re: DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref. (dantastic)

ok soooo ? any one know where i can get a pic of the vacume diagram ?
Old 05-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, i have an Si-R II motor in my EG. I'm not passin' SMOG (here in Cali). The guy i bought the car from, i had him pass SMOG before i would buy it. He didn't pass SMOG at first. There wasn't a cat'. He bought one and had it installed. It finallyl passed SMOG. DMV sent me a letter sayin' i can only go to a TEST-ONLY center being that 92-95 civic's were high-polluting cars in emissions. Anyway, i go and nothin' was said about the motor and what not. I passed tha visual both times i went. Altho, i'm still not passin' SMOG. A smog-station i went to told me my o2 sensor seems fine from looking at the results on the emission's chart printout. He told me to buy a new cat', have the guys at the test center warm the car up for about 20 min' and I should be good.

The other issue is that i want to go to a ref' and have my motor in there legally with the ref' sticker in the door jamb and all. I heard that I need a USDM intake manifold w/throttle body, USDM exhaust manifold w/collector piping, and USDM ecu. I already understand the part about making the JDM intake manifold like a USDM one, but what as far as the exhaust manifold and ecu? Do i really need all that? My extension is 'til tha end of June, 2004. All the help will be much appreciated. Thanx!
Old 05-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: How to convert JDM intake manifold to USDM specs for smog ref. (TallAzzFilipino)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TallAzzFilipino &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I heard that I need a USDM intake manifold w/throttle body, USDM exhaust manifold w/collector piping, and USDM ecu. I already understand the part about making the JDM intake manifold like a USDM one, but what as far as the exhaust manifold and ecu? Do i really need all that? My extension is 'til tha end of June, 2004. All the help will be much appreciated. Thanx! </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah you need that stuff, or you could use a header made for the b16 with a CARB number on it, so you do need the exhaust manifold or a a header with CARB and the intake manifold can be done by using my conversion and usdm P30 ecu

as fas as the throtle body is concerned mine was ok, i know if you have the older 88-91 b16 TB then you need to upgrade but my jdm 92-95 b16 TB was ok