Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] Detailed How To: Remove Sound Deadening Tar From An EH Hatch!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 07:54 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Sound Deadening Tar From An EH Hatch! (sirhatchalot5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sirhatchalot5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow that was totally retarded. not only did you waste your time, but you decreased the value of the car and made it sound incredibly shtty.

15lbs wont do sht. that like the wieght of my air force ones. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for your opinion... To me it wasn't a waste of time at all b/c like i said i had nothing better to do, and i got to learn about my car etc.... Stripping a car is basically free and i don't mind not having a carpet or a backseat or sticky *** tar.

Who ever said i was going to sell my car? I don't plan to, so really... who the **** cares what i do to it right? Value isn't important if you don't plan on selling your car. You might as well leave your car STOCK b/c it's not like adding a swap/suspension is going to increase the blue book value of your car.

And I already mentioned that the car isn't much louder at all, it's 100% tolerable and livable, not a single passenger that has ridden in my car has ever complained about the noise once.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Sound Deadening Tar From An EH Hatch! (VX)

very nice write-up , thanks i learned a lot, i plan on doing the same to my car one day i just hope after i remove the tar it would look as clean as yours. So all you used was the 3M cleaner stuff and you got it to be that clean, you didnt use any other products to clean the residue or the interior?
Old 07-17-2003, 08:11 PM

Very nice write up bro.I love how clean it looks. I learned a lot...that's why I love H-T. Always learning!
Old 07-17-2003, 08:18 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Sound Deadening Tar From An EH Hatch! (EGSiX92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGSiX92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">very nice write-up , thanks i learned a lot, i plan on doing the same to my car one day i just hope after i remove the tar it would look as clean as yours. So all you used was the 3M cleaner stuff and you got it to be that clean, you didnt use any other products to clean the residue or the interior? </TD></TR></TABLE>

The only chemicals I used was 3M. It took care of all the tar residue, otherwise i just used hand tools/ sandpaper to take care of the rest of the tar.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:58 PM

Looks real good, must have taken forever, I kinda went the opposite way though and dynomated my whole car.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:33 AM

Default Re: (MilanoHatch98)

the 3m gets the big chunks and spreads it out as a sticky fluid i then used goof off and it cleaned up perfectly
Old 07-19-2003, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (93eg-EKhybrid)

I think losing 15 pounds off your body might be easier and do the same thing! As well as make you look better
Old 07-19-2003, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice write up!!! I was very curious on how to do this. Thanks!!
Old 07-19-2003, 10:32 AM

nice man. But i have to tell you all my tar i took off with hand did you try that befor you bought all that dry ice.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BrynnTheSlut)

I guess I'll give you props on the write up. After reading this me and my friends did this to their CRX and Prelude. Definetely worth the time if you're looking to loose a little weight. I know I'll be doing this to my hatch once I get my swap.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:58 AM

just re read the write up and man you took off the adhesive glue that does hold the unibody togther. To bad i wont be there when you driving and your wall start to come un done.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Sound Deadening Tar From An EH Hatch! (tonesdef)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonesdef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just re read the write up and man you took off the adhesive glue that does hold the unibody togther. To bad i wont be there when you driving and your wall start to come un done.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking that glue / caulk probably has a purpose.
I was thinking about removing the tar from my stripped hatch. Not going to anytime soon. My sound deadning material is painted white, so everything kind of blends in with the rest of the paint.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Sound Deadening Tar From An EH Hatch! (Hybrid93Hatch)

yeah anything in the corners are there for a reason. Anything just lying on the floor is sound deading material. Hopefully he just striped that little part off and not all of it.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Sound Deadening Tar From An EH Hatch! (Hybrid93Hatch)

THERE GOES YOUR FACTORY CORROSION PROTECTION
they put all that ugly tuffin cars for a reason
Old 07-24-2003, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Sound Deadening Tar From An EH Hatch! (vtecnologist1)

ur right, and cx's don't have tar.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice write up!
I am going to be doing the same to the back of my 98EK. i already ripped out all the rear seats, plastic & the headliner.

Old 12-08-2003, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (93eg-EKhybrid)

I'm going to pull my nasty *** deadning mats up. The tar ruined my bro's shoes and I just am tired of looking at the mess.

Did you (or do you) plan to remove the rest of the red paint from the interior metal? I think when I do this mat removal that I will get it all and just have the entire inside "gray". What kind of time / work do you think it would require to remove the rest of the paint?

BTW &gt;&gt;&gt;Looks so damn clean compared to my $hitbox:

The power wire fell down from the door seal. Got to put that back in place too
Old 12-08-2003, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome write up and great pics.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:14 AM

Any qtr mile/performance/assdyno improvements?
Old 12-08-2003, 11:10 AM

Default Re: (Phaze2)

Aren't you supposed to remove the tar from underneath the car, not the inside? Props for a nice job regardless.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:35 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Hybrid93Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you (or do you) plan to remove the rest of the red paint from the interior metal? I think when I do this mat removal that I will get it all and just have the entire inside "gray". What kind of time / work do you think it would require to remove the rest of the paint?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I PMed you about this, basicly my plan was just to remove the interior sound deadening tar, not the paint. The sound deadening tar is layed on the primered floorboards from the factory, and the interior is lightly painted over. So when you remove the tar from the car, the end result is patches of primer.

If your goal is to remove the paint from the inside of the car, that will take a long time, b/c you'll have to strip the whole interior down, even the wires. Which will take a couple hours, and then get to removing all of that paint, which will take another couple of hours.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phaze2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any qtr mile/performance/assdyno improvements?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, I have a stock D15Z1. So I have never taken my car to the track. That being said, I don't have any base times to compare to my car now after it's been stripped.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hoosier Daddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aren't you supposed to remove the tar from underneath the car, not the inside? Props for a nice job regardless.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most people remove the tar from the inside of their car. I've heard of a handful of people removing it from underneath their car. But I don't want to run the risk of getting any rust damage over time if i remove it. It's a daily driver.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:58 PM

my responce was to the effect that u spent 20 hours of your life to slash.00001 off your qtr, and the fact that u did it to a non all track car makes it all the more pointless.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (VX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I PMed you about this, basicly my plan was just to remove the interior sound deadening tar, not the paint. The sound deadening tar is layed on the primered floorboards from the factory, and the interior is lightly painted over. So when you remove the tar from the car, the end result is patches of primer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I take it you reinstalled the carpet? Mine will be (is now) left as shown in your pics. Gutted with NO carpet. I think the patches look a little tacky, where the all gray is nice.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your goal is to remove the paint from the inside of the car, that will take a long time, b/c you'll have to strip the whole interior down, even the wires. Which will take a couple hours, and then get to removing all of that paint, which will take another couple of hours.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know what wires you are referring to. Basically I'm going to get everything that is visible to the eye. The entire floor, back area, back on up to the firewall mat. I will leave the dash as well as the door panels on since they are on and nothing underneath can be seen anyhow.

I'll post pics of b4 and after when I hit this up next Monday....

Thanks for the info
Old 12-08-2003, 05:19 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Phaze2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phaze2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my responce was to the effect that u spent 20 hours of your life to slash.00001 off your qtr, and the fact that u did it to a non all track car makes it all the more pointless.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like i said on the bottom of the first post of this thread. "To each his own." You see it as a waste of time. Where i could care less about how long it took, or the interior/tar i was removing.

It was free, I was poor and wanted to modify my car in some way. And document it to help others.

And who is to say that i won't make it a track car or track it sometime in the future???

Does it really matter that I did this to a daily driver? I'm 100% comfortable with it.
I don't see a difference of gutting my car now, or when It's a track car.

We all have our opinions, and I see yours clearly. But don't assume too much b/c i haven't stated my future intentions for my car.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:23 PM

Oh you did a great job, and u have the right to do whatever you want to your car, i was just wondering if you were doing it to get non existent perf gains or if u just like the look. Either way, we both mod hondas, its not the epitome of speed practicality.

Quick Reply: [FAQ] Detailed How To: Remove Sound Deadening Tar From An EH Hatch!