Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (Luserkid)

Damnnn, thats crazy! Thanks for the info dude, Im DEFINITELY gonna do this if I ever get an exhaust ticket
Old 05-18-2004, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mario82686)

check this link out too http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=32268

Old 05-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as you don't think that the sticker is going to get you out of future tickets. Do you think cops are so dumb that they won't know you just slapped on a stocker and went to the ref. They will still write you up and you'll have to do the whole thing over and over and over . . . . . that's what sucks about this law. It leaves way too much up to the opinion of the cop.

Good luck tho
Old 05-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (nonsense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As long as you don't think that the sticker is going to get you out of future tickets. Do you think cops are so dumb that they won't know you just slapped on a stocker and went to the ref. They will still write you up and you'll have to do the whole thing over and over and over . . . . . that's what sucks about this law. It leaves way too much up to the opinion of the cop.

Good luck tho </TD></TR></TABLE>
Well my sticker for example say "Manufacturer: Apexi"
With the one pictured saying unknown though, you might be right
Old 05-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (SMZ GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SMZ GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Well my sticker for example say "Manufacturer: Apexi"
With the one pictured saying unknown though, you might be right </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. If it's manufacturer specific then you could probably use it to get out of a ticket. Although I wonder if you put an obvious stock one back on if they would put "OEM" on the ticket??
Old 05-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (nonsense)

Damn so many questions and i had to be at work so this might be a long responce.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 137 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also how do you challenge the ticket in court when the officer checks NO in the non correctable field. Once they do that you are not able to contest the violation and you have to pay the fee.

Please let me know you have already been to court for this, and they wrote it off I must of missed that post by you.

In theory this whole idea is good but I believe you will be shat on for your hard work because I tried to challenge the same **** and had it signed off by an officer with my RSR GTII on the car and the clerk said "the officer who wrote you this ticket put no in the correctable area of the ticket. That means you cannot contest the violation." </TD></TR></TABLE>

I havent gone to court yet because i got another thing on the ticket i need to fix first (my windshield) and then im just going to go up to the teller window and tell them to have the ticket dropped because everything was passed. If needed ill go to a judge and say the same. Ill let you guys know what happens once i go.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As long as you don't think that the sticker is going to get you out of future tickets. Do you think cops are so dumb that they won't know you just slapped on a stocker and went to the ref. They will still write you up and you'll have to do the whole thing over and over and over . . . . . that's what sucks about this law. It leaves way too much up to the opinion of the cop.

Good luck tho </TD></TR></TABLE>

You might be right who knows. But ill show them the thing saying its legit and then if they still write me a ticket ill go to the teller window to asked for it dropped because my exhaust is legal, and if that doesnt work and ill go to the judge and show them the sticker. If that doesnt work ill go pass the test again. Time commsuming more then anything if you ask me. But its better then paying whatever the ticket cost.

The pics that Huggy bear put up is exactly what they did with me, they used the same tester and measured it the same.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Exactly. If it's manufacturer specific then you could probably use it to get out of a ticket. Although I wonder if you put an obvious stock one back on if they would put "OEM" on the ticket?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, they still put unknown.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rice Ball &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please tell us more about the time you went to get your bar sticker. What did they do to determine if your motor was legal? I'm sure they wouldn't just take your word for it.

Thanks a bunch

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Theres a thread that Spade started about JDM engines being legal and i basically did what that thread said and passed. Its really not that hard if you ask me, just time comsuming once again.

I think that was all the questions asked so far if there was one i missed let me know and ill answer it the best to my knowledge after class.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nope, they still put unknown. . </TD></TR></TABLE>
Are you referring to your sticker specifically? Because on mine it states "Apexi"
Old 05-18-2004, 05:19 PM

genuis **** right there
Old 05-18-2004, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SMZ GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Are you referring to your sticker specifically? Because on mine it states "Apexi" </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually i was answering the question for the guy that was wondering if it would say "OEM" on the sticker. It wont say OEM itll say unknown, atleast mine did anyway.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:44 PM

its all gravey when you can REF your GSR stock motor but what I am worried about is gettting an exhaust ticket for my car then I go to the REF and they will pop my hood and notice my All Motor Beast under there and not want to do the dB test.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:48 AM

I just passed the test. with my N/A Apexi n1 and 2.25 inch piping. with a cat, and Dc header.

90 db. with the scilencer in. I probally would have failed without the scilencer.

The didnt put a name or manufacture when they specifiy the exhaust.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:09 PM

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (vivid02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vivid02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its all gravey when you can REF your GSR stock motor but what I am worried about is gettting an exhaust ticket for my car then I go to the REF and they will pop my hood and notice my All Motor Beast under there and not want to do the dB test. </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, oh yea, because it's so easy to spot an "all motor beast" compared to stock engines.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (sporkcrx)

Does anyone have any info for this in the state of Florida? I just got an exhaust ticket and I plan on trying to fight it in court. I have paperwork that came with my Tanabe exhaust stating it is 50 state legal for noise produced. The only problem is I don't have a cat and I'm sure I would fail the test because of that. Is there any chance that my paperwork will hold up in court?
Old 05-30-2004, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (RyanCivic2000)

I think so. You have paperwork saying its legal. I didnt even know that FL had a exhaust law.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets say you went there for the exhaust test BUT had an illegal aftermarket header and other misc non-legal parts, would you be cited or is there nothing they can do? Meaning, if you have other illegal parts and want to do the test, will they still test you and not cite you for other items?
Old 05-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (B2FiNiTY)

They cant cite you, but they could choice not to test you (i think, dont quote me on that).

But i dont have a CARB sticker on my intake when i took the test, so there was no worries with that. My BAR sticker says intake on there but they didnt really check for whats legal and whats not (other then the motor).
Old 05-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to jump in this thread late and voice an opinion, so i'm sorry if it's already been said. its sad that people, not just kids, get tickets for 'noise pollution' when harleys can cruise around unharassed. that's my vent, later. =o)

congrats on the sticker and "beating the system" i suppose.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think so. You have paperwork saying its legal. I didnt even know that FL had a exhaust law. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Florida has always been real leaniant about car modifications and their legality. Very recently they started cracking down on loud exhausts, most likely because of some rich ******** in the area complaining. The Florida statute they wrote me up for is also very vague. This is what it says.

316.610 Safety of vehicle; inspection.--It is a violation of this chapter for any person to drive or move, or for the owner or his or her duly authorized representative to cause or knowingly permit to be driven or moved, on any highway any vehicle or combination of vehicles which is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person or property, or which does not contain those parts or is not at all times equipped with such lamps and other equipment in proper condition and adjustment as required in this chapter, or which is equipped in any manner in violation of this chapter, or for any person to do any act forbidden or fail to perform any act required under this chapter.

(1) Any police officer may at any time, upon reasonable cause to believe that a vehicle is unsafe or not equipped as required by law, or that its equipment is not in proper adjustment or repair, require the driver of the vehicle to stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection and such test with reference thereto as may be appropriate.

(2) In the event the vehicle is found to be in unsafe condition or any required part or equipment is not present or is not in proper repair and adjustment, and the continued operation would probably present an unduly hazardous operating condition, the officer may require the vehicle to be immediately repaired or removed from use. However, if continuous operation would not present unduly hazardous operating conditions, that is, in the case of equipment defects such as tailpipes, mufflers, windshield wipers, marginally worn tires, the officer shall give written notice to require proper repair and adjustment of same within 48 hours, excluding Sunday.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (da935oul)

I live down the street from ELACC on whittier/atlantic and have had to retake the test.. ....I eventually got jacked for the exhaust....so that solved my problem...but they(CHP) told me that every 3 months I could be re-issued a ticket and have to get the test done again...plus I was told that there is a field on the paper work that states what type of an exhaust you have (stock, aftermarket, tube, etc.) when you go and take the test, and that when you go multiple times you are putting a target on your car that you cannot comply...either way I still am going to get a skunk 2 exhaust if I can find one for a 97 4dr LS for a good price ....if the piggys want to get you they will get you...they make the rules..and change up the game on a moments notice.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:16 PM

What is up with your suspension? Its low on the drivers' side and high on the passenger's.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (chronodyne28)

It looks like that on the first picture because the muffler pushes up the bumper because i had a different bumper on when i had the exhaust put on, and there was plenty of clearance. Its just a optical illusion
Old 06-01-2004, 09:40 PM

great post. i'll be going to elacc tomorrow
Old 06-01-2004, 11:32 PM

yeah i sucks, i went to the CHP office today to get my exhaust signed off.

They said i could NOT have a SCILENCER in the apexi N1. I was like WTF?

The CHP guy who signed off my exhaust told me that i would get another Ticket!!

THen i went to the West Covina Court, and i told them i got my exhaust tested and it passsed, in order for them to clear my ticket and stuff, i have to see the JUDGE..

I really dont want to Pay the Bail amount of 121.00!!!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fake mugen power)

WTF?!?

State ref told me silencers are perfectly OK. What bastards.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:07 AM

yeah WTF? i didnt know scilencers were not allowed on cars.. .... gay..!! The CHP officer kinda frowned that i had a scilencer on my N1. I got madd cuase i didnt Know that Scilencers became illegall.. or what ever..

I guess ill have to wait until july 15th, and see what the Judge Says about the ticket, and my exhuast sound level testing..

Quick Reply: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review