Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[DIY] OEM 92-95 Honda Civic Lights-On Chime Retrofit (no RadioShack crap here, folks)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [DIY] OEM 92-95 Honda Civic Lights-On Chime Retrofit (no RadioShack crap here, fo

Excellent! I was just thinking about how I could do this to my 92 Hatch, and knew there had to be a way to do this with Honda Parts! Thank you so much for this.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [DIY] OEM 92-95 Honda Civic Lights-On Chime Retrofit (no RadioShack crap here, fo

Forgive a UK noob on this....
Do your EG's in the US not have a warning buz or are you trying to improve the sound? Reason why I ask is that I'd love to upgrade mine to a ding ding ding instead of a BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ lol
Old 11-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

US/Canadian 5G Civics came with a key-in warning ("be-be-be-beep! be-be-be-beep!"), but no headlight-on-and-door-open chime. This Integra retrofit makes a pleasant sounding "plink-plonk! plink-plonk!" Might even have a vid here with sound.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are two capacitors inside the integra icu unit. Since some of the units are as oldest as 16 years old and some as young as 13 years. It would be wise to change these because electrolyte caps tend to start to fail at around this time frame.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:35 AM

^ Good to know. What function do these capacitors serve? ie., they are used for which feature in the ICU?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the caps might be for the time delay charge cap for the wipers.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:46 AM

^ You would not even begin to understand how helpful that post was. A problem that has been ******* my father on his 92 Si for YEARS. I told him to try swapping out the ICU but this pretty much confirms it. We both had a problem where the INT setting would not work until the car is warmed up. Only happens in winter. This will be my first winter with the Integra ICU retrofit, so we'll see if it's any different. My issue was never as bad as his (mine only happened in very cold conditions ... -20C or lower).
Old 11-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The original civic icu has about 6 caps and is a lot more simple in design then the integra icu unit. I was curious if anyone else had this issue I had this morning after swapping in the integra icu. I lost memory to my clock and cd player. My ecu backup 7.5amp is not blown. Deschlong, if you have the circuit diagrams from both the civics and integras can you pm them to me? I want to do some circuit comparing between the two cars. thanks.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:45 AM

I did this and it's a tedious process (that's how I figured out this retrofit was possible), and it was a pain to wrap my head around. I'll post this diagram for the Civic, where I annotated the pin locations deferring to the Integra service manual nomenclature... that will give you a big head start. Also attached is the Integra ICU wiring diagram. But these diagrams together really don't give a complete picture, though maybe it's fine for what you're trying to do. You really need to download both manuals to do a complete comparison. (Hopefully you can also read wiring diagrams!)

CLICK LINKS FOR A LARGER VIEW

92-95 Civic (annotated):
LARGER IMAGE

94-97 Integra:
LARGER IMAGE 1

LARGER IMAGE 2

Last edited by deschlong; 04-16-2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: fixed bad link to lg pic
Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks descglong, I read these things on a daily bases.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump for installing this mod on a friends Hatch. Still awesome, still easy, this one works like a chime as they say.....
Old 01-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally did this today. Things were complicated by my less-than ideal alarm install. De-pinning ended up being the easy part. Getting the old ICU OUT was a royal pain in the @ss.

fm

Last edited by fungus mungus; 01-26-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got this installed on my 92 EH3 today, weather finally allowed for some much needed work to be done.
Trying to figure out what to do with my OEM fog light relay was the hard part, since it was mounted to the right of the fusebox using the fusebox mounting bolt. Right now it's just kinda hanging there, maybe tomorrow or monday I will get back out and figure out what to do with the relay.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome job and thanks to Deschlong I was able to use the CDM ICU and incorporate the CDM function, when you hit the windshield washer function the wipers now activate for 3 swipes, unlike the USDM counterpart.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I blew off wiring up the CDM wiper functionality when I doing this. After today, I've reconsidered and will probably do it on Monday.

fm
Old 02-16-2011, 06:13 PM

^ Yeah, stop slacking there fm

Plz takes some pics so I can update this DIY with this additional mod. Thanks guys! Go team.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a couple pics for the CDM ICU function. Pictures are specific to pin 4 Black/green stripe. I lengthened the black/green wire with black wire using solder and heat shrink. Then ran it back to the 20 pin brown connector and with deschlong's help located the body Black/green wire in pin 19 and used a tap to connect the wire from pin 4 to the body harness.
Attached Images   
Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did this today, took forever to remove the ICU and depin the connector in the car, but it was worth it, I did have a problem though once everything was hooked back up, my wipers randomly turn on even if the switch is switched to off, or when they are on using the switch turning them to off will only stop them where they are temporarily. Did this happen to anyone else? I'm not sure if this is because of something I did in during the ICU removal/install or another problem, because I removed the plastic around the steering column, and then I noticed after everything was done that while the wipers were going bumping the key while it was in the ignition paused the wipers, so maybe some sort of short?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:22 AM

Icon3 Re: [DIY] OEM 92-95 Honda Civic Lights-On Chime Retrofit (no RadioShack crap here, fo

^^ LOL, no. Go back and triple check your wiring, man.

EDIT: Look at the wiring diagram a few posts up. You have probably swapped the BLU/WHT wires. I told you not to do that!

Last edited by deschlong; 04-12-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
^^ LOL, no. Go back and triple check your wiring, man.

EDIT: Look at the wiring diagram a few posts up. You have probably swapped the BLU/WHT wires. I told you not to do that!
I fixed it, thanks it works great!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did this upgrade and its much more pleasing than the radio shack buzzer I had their previously. After a false start and figuring I had the C501 orange in the wrong slot, I got it to work
Old 09-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to Deschlong and Rickkane! Did this project awhile back, and it works perfectly!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait. 5th gen civics have chime at key ON??? Since when? Not on DX trim I'm guessing?

EDIT: Ohhh nevermind. Mine is unplugged... Thanks. Found it.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This may be a dumb question... but I will ask anyway

My 95 dx hatch was built in Canada does that make it a CDM? did the Canadian manufacturing facility produce for the USDM?

I ask this because: I don't see the DRL module up under my dash where it should be if it was built for the Canadian market... right?

I have the int function on my wipers, isn't that a non USDM thing?

I really ask that because I have a follow up question...

If I go to the junk yard chances are I wont find a Canadian 94-97 Acura Integra ( I live in Georgia, I'm astonished if my car is a CDM that it made it here...) If I get the ICU from a USDM integra will I loose the Int function of my wipers??

here is my vin in case it helps...

2HGEH2360SH511332

Thanks...

ALSO I am working on my cruse control upgrade now (not currently operating) but when I get that finished I will be sure to let you know how it goes and all that good stuff on the proper thread.

**EDIT** Right after I posted this I saw that my vin was linked to be decoded, now when I decoded it before on decodethis dot com it tells me it is a dx but that link there told me it was a cx, now I know the cx I have isnt the one with the little 70 hp motor in it but it does have the rear wiper and duel manual rear-view side mirrors... does that mean I have the "CX Plus"?

Last edited by jeremyhughes; 03-15-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: new information
Old 03-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All N. American hatchbacks were manufactured in Canada. When I did this upgrade to my 92 EH3, I did not lose any wiper function. But I cant recall if I had INT wipers, been awhile since I upgraded to a 07 Si.

Originally Posted by jeremyhughes
This may be a dumb question... but I will ask anyway

My 95 dx hatch was built in Canada does that make it a CDM? did the Canadian manufacturing facility produce for the USDM?

I ask this because: I don't see the DRL module up under my dash where it should be if it was built for the Canadian market... right?

I have the int function on my wipers, isn't that a non USDM thing?

I really ask that because I have a follow up question...

If I go to the junk yard chances are I wont find a Canadian 94-97 Acura Integra ( I live in Georgia, I'm astonished if my car is a CDM that it made it here...) If I get the ICU from a USDM integra will I loose the Int function of my wipers??

here is my vin in case it helps...

2HGEH2360SH511332

Thanks...

ALSO I am working on my cruse control upgrade now (not currently operating) but when I get that finished I will be sure to let you know how it goes and all that good stuff on the proper thread.

Quick Reply: [DIY] OEM 92-95 Honda Civic Lights-On Chime Retrofit (no RadioShack crap here, folks)