Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

the difference between the b-series and d-series a/c system!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Write Up- the difference between the b-series and d-series a/c system!

i recently posted this on an other thread. for some reason there has been alot of a/c question to which brackets and compressors to use so i'm going to explain it to the best of my abilities. when we do our swaps and decide we're going to keep the a/c we need the P54 bracket or the P7J bracket. you see there is only 2 compressor honda uses (for the b-series setup). one is larger than the other. now, 1994 was the first year the b-series (del sol) motor came to the USA. when it was introduced over here honda had used the smaller compressor for the a/c, which it was using on all the d-series motors.

for what ever reason in 1996 they changed over to the larger compressor on the b16 (using the P30 bracket), which is exactly the same on all the JDM motors and USDM b18 motors (P73[itr] & P72[gsr]). now when honda introduced the crv, of coarse it came with a bseries (B20) motor, in this situation they went ahead and again use the smaller compressor (same as the d-series) for the a/c (bracket P7J).

a 94-95 del sol (B16A3) which is the only year that honda used the P54 bracket on the B16. that is why your we're able to mount everything into our civic (line, compressor, etc.) without a problem. use any other b series bracket, both the compressor and the bracket will have mounted up, but the lines will have not. oh also notice the B16A3 it is only found in the 94-95 del sol. anything after the 95 del sol had the B16A2 (also the 99-00 civic si).

if you were to add a/c to a 96-00 civic and had a b-series motor you would have two options. you can :
1. buy a a/c kit for a 99-00 civic si
2. buy a a/c kit for a regular civic.

why? because being that the car never had a/c you wouldn't have to deal with the line compatibility. you see this whole thing is about making the lines connect to the compressor. if you have the wrong compressor and bracket then the lines will not bolt up, unable to use you a/c. now if you have a 92-95 civic or a 96-00 civic with a d-series setup (and swap out for a b) then why convert lines and all that, just change the bracket and you can still use you current set up.

i hope this wasn't too long for you and i wasn't trying to confuse any one, and if i missed anything please feel free to add!

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Write Up- the difference between the b-series and d-series a/c system! (philosofy1)

hey man great info, but i still got a stupid question. I have a 97 ex coupe with ac and imma throw a 2000 b16. now in ur post u sed that in this situation i just need to change the bracket right? well can u pls tell me wat bracket i need. thanks a lot
Old 08-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[p7j crv bracket]
Old 08-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Write Up- the difference between the b-series and d-series a/c system! (arielmalespin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arielmalespin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey man great info, but i still got a stupid question. I have a 97 ex coupe with ac and imma throw a 2000 b16. now in ur post u sed that in this situation i just need to change the bracket right? well can u pls tell me wat bracket i need. thanks a lot </TD></TR></TABLE>

Or the Del Sol bracket. He explained that this bracket is utilizing the d series compressor with the b series motor. Honda only had to change the bracket and not the compressor/lines for the introduction of this motor at the time.

Good clarification OP
Old 08-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Write Up- the difference between the b-series and d-series a/c system! (B20 EJ6)

Yeah i just used a 94 del sol bracket to mount my a/c compressor onto my JDM 2nd gen b16a in my 98 civic LX.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: the difference between the b-series and d-series a/c system!

I know this is years old, but EXCELLENT write up bro.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

got a stupid question and dont wanna order the wrong bracket (shipping charges). so i have a 97 hb cx with a b16a swapped into it, previous owner only bolted 2 screws on the stock ac to the motor which eventually broke off into the bracket. i wanna know which exact ac bracket to get. does anyone got one with all the parts or do i have to use the little wheel thing and the extension part that comes out from the right side that has to get bolted from my old bracket? confused and hot!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:12 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Default Re: Write Up- the difference between the b-series and d-series a/c system! (arielmale

Originally Posted by arielmalespin
hey man great info, but i still got a stupid question. I have a 97 ex coupe with ac and imma throw a 2000 b16. now in ur post u sed that in this situation i just need to change the bracket right? well can u pls tell me wat bracket i need. thanks a lot
Originally Posted by pdiggitydogg
[p7j crv bracket]
Originally Posted by Rock Meathammer
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arielmalespin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey man great info, but i still got a stupid question. I have a 97 ex coupe with ac and imma throw a 2000 b16. now in ur post u sed that in this situation i just need to change the bracket right? well can u pls tell me wat bracket i need. thanks a lot </TD></TR></TABLE>

Or the Del Sol bracket. He explained that this bracket is utilizing the d series compressor with the b series motor. Honda only had to change the bracket and not the compressor/lines for the introduction of this motor at the time.

Good clarification OP
Yep, CRV or DelSol VTEC bracket. Personally, I used the CRV bracket on my swap because it's like $30 cheaper from Majestic Honda.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do the compressors have anything do to with the volume of freon being allowed to pass through.?? My Integra's A/C would freeze me out of the car on a 95 degree day, and my single cam vtec hatch A/C is mediocre to say the least on a 95 degree day...
Old 06-29-2010, 05:40 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

What year was your Integra?

I've never been able to prove it, but I've had a suspicion for years that R12 systems blew colder than R134 systems do. The volume of air that the compressor moves probably makes a big difference though, and the Teg does have a bigger compressor than the D-series.

My 2000 Civic's A/C has always been weak as fawk, even when it was new.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
What year was your Integra?

I've never been able to prove it, but I've had a suspicion for years that R12 systems blew colder than R134 systems do. The volume of air that the compressor moves probably makes a big difference though, and the Teg does have a bigger compressor than the D-series.

My 2000 Civic's A/C has always been weak as fawk, even when it was new.
The Teg was a 94 (R134) and the Civic a 92 with a R134 conversion.. And yeah man I can't think for the life of me why it was like that because both the compressors look identical and the lines all do as well for that matter.. But it's hands down, no doubt about it, a HUGE difference in the 2 A/C systems, I would have to turn off my Teg's A/C some days cuz I was so ****in cold and it's almost 100 degrees outside the car lol... My Civic I have to ride around with the windows half cracked cuz the wind is cooler than the A/C on the same 100 degree day lmao..
Old 06-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

R134a conversions only get about 80% gas into the original R12 system by weight along with the proper type oil for R134a, overall, it is a fact that R134a does not cool as well as R12 but the change had to be made to save the Earth. Conversions are not perfect, you are supposed to do a compressor swap and a condensor swap too, so the system could handle the higher pressure of R134a and properly convert the heat to pressure ratio.

I charge a little less, check the vent temp, then add a little more gas until I get the lowest vent temp, then a slight increase in vent temp, that means I just went over the optimum amount of gas for the size of the system, done.

A dirty Evap or an evap temp sensor that is not working properly could be an issue also, had a 1st Gen Odyssey that would only cool down to 17C out the vent because the evap temp sensor would turn the system off at that temp everytime.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great Info should be in the FAQ's
Old 06-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright i have a question
Im going to be swapping a 93 d15z1 vx into a 95 ex... the ex currently has a gsr with working ac..
i have all the 93 vx ac components (r12)
what do i have to do to retain working ac with the d15z1 in the ej1???
Old 07-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just to clear up something on my part... the P7J bracket is from JDM crv ? are JDM AND USDM B20B ac bracket the same being P7J? reason being i have a b16a obd1 and looking to put ac, the car had ad series from before so it would be easier to just swap on a d series compressor
Old 07-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MShonda
Alright i have a question
Im going to be swapping a 93 d15z1 vx into a 95 ex... the ex currently has a gsr with working ac..
i have all the 93 vx ac components (r12)
what do i have to do to retain working ac with the d15z1 in the ej1???
Dont open the system, keep it R12.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just swapped a 96 ls into my eg.. I still have all the a/c parts from the d series. I need the hasport bracket right?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by eghatchfla
I just swapped a 96 ls into my eg.. I still have all the a/c parts from the d series. I need the hasport bracket right?
you need the P7J or P54 brackets
Old 07-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how about this i got a integra dash swap and and integra ls swap what can i do to keep ac..

just usee all integra ac components..

all this in a 92 cx
Old 08-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So quick question, I am actually trying to add ac on this ek 99' I am trying to buy. He states that all I need to add ad on the car is the across compressor condenser and the lines. The car has a 99' b18c1. Would I get the compressor, condenser, and lines off the same year gsr or from 99-00' civic si?
Old 08-26-2014, 04:07 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by ekgsr09
So quick question, I am actually trying to add ac on this ek 99' I am trying to buy. He states that all I need to add ad on the car is the across compressor condenser and the lines. The car has a 99' b18c1. Would I get the compressor, condenser, and lines off the same year gsr or from 99-00' civic si?
What do you mean by "across".
Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
What do you mean by "across".
Typo, not across.. A/C ** if I also post up a pic could you help identify of there is anything else missing that I would need? I'm assuming obviously I'll need a belt for the compressor.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

You're probably missing the lines that go from the evaporator to the condensor, to the dryer and then to the compressor. That probably means the entire ac system.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekgsr09
OK the civic 96-00 cx,vx,dx,ex and si(D16& B16) are the same system compressor condenser lines except the blower switch thing thats is electric in the 99-00 every thing else is interchangeable. The crv (b20) compressor will work with any compressor bracket from a civic and the a/c lines with mount up also.

Now Integra (b18) compressors will not mount on civic brackets, well not all four bolts only three line up. The a/c lines are a little different.

So you need a bracket from a b16(si, del sol, whatever) or b20(crv) for the Integra motor (B18) and if you want everything to mount up like original any civic, crv compressor. Then condenser and all lines from any civic 96-00 cx,vx,dx,ex and si(D16& B16) does not matter.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:24 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Write Up- the difference between the b-series and d-series a/c system!

hello you’ll. I have a question; It’s compatible the A/C system (lines and everything) from a DC2 to an DA ??
I have a 91’ Integra LS DA B18A1 and I need the complete A/C system…
TIA

Originally Posted by philosofy1
i recently posted this on an other thread. for some reason there has been alot of a/c question to which brackets and compressors to use so i'm going to explain it to the best of my abilities. when we do our swaps and decide we're going to keep the a/c we need the P54 bracket or the P7J bracket. you see there is only 2 compressor honda uses (for the b-series setup). one is larger than the other. now, 1994 was the first year the b-series (del sol) motor came to the USA. when it was introduced over here honda had used the smaller compressor for the a/c, which it was using on all the d-series motors.

for what ever reason in 1996 they changed over to the larger compressor on the b16 (using the P30 bracket), which is exactly the same on all the JDM motors and USDM b18 motors (P73[itr] & P72[gsr]). now when honda introduced the crv, of coarse it came with a bseries (B20) motor, in this situation they went ahead and again use the smaller compressor (same as the d-series) for the a/c (bracket P7J).

a 94-95 del sol (B16A3) which is the only year that honda used the P54 bracket on the B16. that is why your we're able to mount everything into our civic (line, compressor, etc.) without a problem. use any other b series bracket, both the compressor and the bracket will have mounted up, but the lines will have not. oh also notice the B16A3 it is only found in the 94-95 del sol. anything after the 95 del sol had the B16A2 (also the 99-00 civic si).

if you were to add a/c to a 96-00 civic and had a b-series motor you would have two options. you can :
1. buy a a/c kit for a 99-00 civic si
2. buy a a/c kit for a regular civic.

why? because being that the car never had a/c you wouldn't have to deal with the line compatibility. you see this whole thing is about making the lines connect to the compressor. if you have the wrong compressor and bracket then the lines will not bolt up, unable to use you a/c. now if you have a 92-95 civic or a 96-00 civic with a d-series setup (and swap out for a b) then why convert lines and all that, just change the bracket and you can still use you current set up.

i hope this wasn't too long for you and i wasn't trying to confuse any one, and if i missed anything please feel free to add!

Quick Reply: the difference between the b-series and d-series a/c system!