Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[DIY] Honda Civic 92-95 JDM "Door Open" Gauge Cluster Indicator Light Install

Old 02-05-2014, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [DIY] Honda Civic 92-95 JDM "Door Open" Gauge Cluster Indicator Light Install

you have a PM
Old 02-05-2014, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [DIY] Honda Civic 92-95 JDM "Door Open" Gauge Cluster Indicator Light Install

i know for the ''test'' light, i didnt plug the WHT/BLU to be able to test the door ajar, my engine is in a rebuilt so i can't start the car...

this been said, i dont know why the dome light dont come ON when the car is shut...

ill try to take pics but as you know, its not easy to take pics in this area.... and its 3 wires so not that complicated...
Old 02-05-2014, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know for the ''test'' light, i didnt plug the WHT/BLU to be able to test the door ajar, my engine is in a rebuilt so i can't start the car...

this been said, i dont know why the dome light dont come ON when the car is shut...

ill try to take pics but as you know, its not easy to take pics in this area.... and its 3 wires so not that complicated...
Old 02-05-2014, 07:13 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Offlimits

This is why I'm thinking there's something going on with the wire to the dome.

So true. Do your best. And trace out the wiring again from my diagram in the original post. Ensemble, on va trouver la probleme!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FINALLY!!!!!

ive found my problem!!!

it was MY mistake

like you proposed i have used seats connectors to ''bypass'' the ''2 wires'' connectors located on the top of the cruise control brain...

the ''interconnection'' ive made was miss matched, ive just repined one of the connector and everything works!!!

now its time to check the rest of the cluster because when i pull the handbrake the ABS come on LOL!!

ill keep you posted with pics!!!! thanks again!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:40 PM

Fantastique!
Old 04-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks again, Deschlong, for answering my questions and clarifying how to properly install the diode. I finally got around to wiring a few things up. Without your write-ups, I'm certain that I would not have been able to complete this retrofit!

Old 04-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sweet write up..
Old 05-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm really happy with my cluster mod except for the night driving...

ive changed the rear electric panel to be able to dim the light

problem is that the cluster, even with leds is not bright that much...

ive tried to find DIY to make the EG6 cluster brighter and found notthing...

im really looking for something bright like this

in my case the TEMP needle dont even light up...
Old 05-22-2014, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks again deschlong, DIY worked like a charm!

I added the diode like this:

Tacho needle isnt positioned correctly because i still need to calibrate it, so no worries And yes, the cluster and the needles really are that bright and evenly lit. It took some serious hours to achieve something like that.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good morning everyone,

I've got some great news... after a week of intensive research, these rare plugs are attainable. Wasn't easy, and you're going to be paying about $30+ for each plug, but if open door indicators are what you really want, it shouldn't be a problem. I also have some for sale, just pm me and shoot me offers.

6-Pin Connectors

These are used for Audio Auxilliary, Ipod, MP3, Navi, etc on most Hondas and Acuras years 97 and up. 6-pin plugs are nearly impossible to find on its own without being attached to a more expensive harness. The 6-pin connector is also known as C4 Auxuiliary Jack (AUX S GND):

Info here: http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=50993

It is also seen again here:

info here: http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=45791

and here:

info here: http://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670430

I also seen it on ebay.ie for around $30+ :

info here: http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tchlink:top:en

and again here:

info here: http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/f40...ers-etc-76610/

If you can't find your own 6-pin connector, I've also located them on Del Sols (I'm assuming all years) They are on the cruise/hazard switch (I forgot which one but you'll see it because they are both together) It is a 6-pin plug using only 5 wires. You can add an additional wire to make it a 6 wire, 6 pin. I also found this same 5 wire 6-pin plug on preludes (94-96 but don't shun me for not getting the complete years as I only know EG/EK). I have no idea what item uses this plug, as someone at the junkyard completely pillage this vehicle, but I can tell you that it was around the dash and/or gauge area. If you cannot find any 6-pin connectors, contact me as I have some for sale.

7-Pin Connectors

These are easily found on newer model Hondas/Acuras 06 and up. Could be earlier years too but I am going to go with what I saw first hand. You can find them on harnesses from a Civic or CRV w/navi. They run about $60 and up. You can also search 97 and up Hondas/Acuras around the dash harnesses, I've read they are probably associated with the blower units. Again, I have these for sale too.

info here: http://torontoaccords.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=548832

And finally, if you do not wish to pillage for these, or buy them from me, here is a DIY on how to create your own plug w/o having to hack your nice JDM plugs and ruining them.

Using PC Mainboard Pins: http://www.hondafitjazz.com/audio.html

Using 2.54mm Space Strip: http://misterwireless.wordpress.com/...nda-jazz-2004/

Hope you guys find this information useful. Wanted to contribute as Deschlongs write-up are always the best!
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-26-2014, 12:14 PM

^ +1 for awesome info.

I have updated the OP directing readers to your research.

Last edited by deschlong; 07-26-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi Deschlong it's been very long talking with you.

I need your help in my car's wiring. It has got an SIR white dial cluster with door ajar indicators. The car is equipped with a security alarm system. I have added an extra hood release switch. Since, inside the security system wiring there is no provision other than the 4 doors and the trunk release triggers, therefore the extra optional hood release switch (trigger) is wired with the driver door switch. It means if it is either the driver's door or the hood to get opened the security system will get a trigger signal through its built-in driver door's trigger wire and the alarm will sound.

Additionally I have also used the steering column covers of the 96-00 civic with a courtesy light.

All are working fine but the problem is if any door is opened excluding the driver's door, the driver's door indicator also turns on along with the courtesy light. However, with only driver's door opened all seems to work fine.

I don't want the driver's door ajar indication to turn on with any of the remaining three doors i.e., other than the driver's door and the steering column courtesy light as well. So what do u suggest? Do i need to insert a diode somewhere?

Regards

Last edited by shabbir.1; 08-19-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:03 PM

^ It does sound to me like an issue that a diode or diodes would resolve.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply!

I will first remove the hood switch wire and then see how it behaves. If the error is removed I will try to insert a diode then.
Moreover the door ajar indicator lights do not turn on during the light test on IG1 with the battery indicator. The diode is already present on the PCB as it is an SIR cluster, so do I need to attach the pin 7 of the door ajar connector to the point after the diode (i.e., the cathode).

Regards
Old 08-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Today I connected the wht/blu wire from the pin 7 of door ajar connector with the alternator wire i.e., the wire coming out from the pin 5 of connector B of the cluster.

Now all the lights in the door ajar indicator lights up when the key is in position II (IG2). and stays on till the engine is started.

For the problem discussed above, I will use a diode(s) later on and will update here.

Regards
Old 08-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Trial User

My door indicators just light up and dont turn off when I close the doors...

anyone with the same problem?
Old 01-16-2018, 01:01 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Some serious awesomeness in here @deschlong
Old 09-29-2018, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This may have been covered, but I couldn't find any information readily available. Was there ever black-faced 5th gen tachometer with a door open indicator that redlined at 8200? Or did this only come in the white face version?

I apologize if this has been answered. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-29-2018, 08:35 PM

^ Only white faced, with door-open indicator and 8200.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
^ Only white faced, with door-open indicator and 8200.
okay, thank you.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:39 AM
Trial User

Hi, I followed this steps. Unfortunately I can't manage to make it work properly. I need an alternative option where to attach the 6 or the ICU wire. Please refer with my photos here. Thankyou in advance

The blue wire attch from this photo connected it through the no1 wire or for the domelight

This is for the two pin connector

This is for the back of my ICU only 3 wires
Old 11-29-2020, 09:16 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 561 Likes on 480 Posts

You should provide your car details at the bare minimum. Year, Make, Model and especially, Trim. Wiring is different between trim levels.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Andrei David
Hi, I followed this steps. Unfortunately I can't manage to make it work properly. I need an alternative option where to attach the 6 or the ICU wire. Please refer with my photos here. Thankyou in advance

The blue wire attch from this photo connected it through the no1 wire or for the domelight

This is for the two pin connector

This is for the back of my ICU only 3 wires

It sounds like you do not have a key-in when door-open indicator as part of your ICU. Or for whatever reason, there is no reason for the dome light wire to pass through the ICU to the door-open switch on your driver door to connect to your ICU. Some markets were like this.

If that's the case, no problem. Just ignore the part of my diagram where it connects through the ICU. Splice your door-open wiring into the circuit the same way: You still need to interrupt the wire from the dome light, send it to the cluster indicators, then back out to the doors.

What colour is the wire that goes to the driver's side door-open switch?
Old 01-03-2021, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Deschlong do you have pictures of your wiring/loom once all connected into the cluster in the car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [DIY] Honda Civic 92-95 JDM "Door Open" Gauge Cluster Indicator Light Install