Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[DIY] Honda Civic 92-95 JDM "Door Open" Gauge Cluster Indicator Light Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: [DIY] Honda Civic 92-95 JDM "Door Open" Gauge Cluster Indicator Light Install

I never noticed figure 3 before. That thing is rare, it's not a spoon cluster either, they're actually branded right above the odometer. See pic below:

I'd love to have one of these, but the one in the pic went for $1100 I'm just not willing to spend that much on a cluster.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: [DIY] Honda Civic 92-95 JDM "Door Open" Gauge Cluster Indicator Light Install

Wow, I hadn't noticed the 240kph cluster without the Spoon logo. I'll check my parts lists to see if I can find anything on it.

fm
Old 03-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice writeup I will keep an eye out for a cluster with the door ajar setup in the future.

Anyone have any experiance with fixing clusters-I got a EDM eg cluster and when you turn the ignition on the needle shoots up to 25mph and sticks there-once you move it accelerates like normal but obviously the speed is way off by 25mph.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

^ Possibly bad contacts in the back (tighten these lightly), but more than likely it's screwed. Find yourself any other UKDM gauge cluster (on ebay.co.uk) and swap over the speedo. You could try swapping over the gauge faces from any old CANADIAN cluster (top speed is the same on CDM vs. all EDM, mph (UK) or km/h (continental Europe)), but the odometer will still count kilometres (doh). Definitely easier to get another UK cluster.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I have had so many issues with clusters in my eg I gave up on anymore-got 2 SiR clusters 1 works ok but fuel gauge reads full @ all times,the second one is well just toast has all sorts of problems-then I got this EDM one and its bad *facepalm*
Old 05-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice DIY thanks
Old 11-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will not be swapping the JDM white faced tach into my CDM cluster as my CDM cluster is from a CX and has no tach lol but I do want the door open indicator to work, so I gather I follow the wiring guide on this retrofit to a tee and it should function as the swapped tach DIY explains I assume? Or is there any step I am missing to do this using an existing JDM white faced cluster?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:32 PM

^ Yes; it helps to have the pigtail though for the door-open indicator.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All pigtails from the JDM cluster are included
Very good news. Thanks man.
MORE RETROFIT!

Edit: Pigtails were not included passed. trying to find another one at a half reasonable buy. May just go EDM now.

Last edited by SozeHuck; 11-30-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: fail cluster
Old 12-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by deschlong
ALSO IMPORTANT: YOU NEED THE PIGTAILS! AT MINIMUM, YOU NEED THE 7-PIN ONE ON THE EXTERNAL MODULE SEEN IN FIGURE 5a. This plug is IMPOSSIBLE to find in North America and Europe. It is a 7-pin plug design that I have never seen before on any other vehicle, though you're welcome to look around and post back here.
I just ordered a cheap black EG cluster with door open indicator and the auction didnt include a 7-pin connector. I was sure that I´ve seen 7-pin connector in somewhere and then I remembered my Power Folding relay:

Yeap, there it is. My EG Power Folding mirrors accidentally came with Prelude power folding relay, which works fine though. It has separate channels for left and right mirror, so thats why it has 7 wires.

I hope this helps those who are hunting the 7-pin connector.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are all images view able or is it my computer? I am able see some, but not all.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deschlong

WHT/BLU: On the 7-pin connector, there's a WHT/BLU wire. This wire routes power from the gauge cluster through ALL of the door- and trunk-open indicator lights. It comes on while the key is in ON (IG1), and ALL the door- and trunk-open indicator lights turn on. This tests the indicator bulbs to show that they are working. It's the same principle that's tied to the BAT light that comes on at position ON (IG1), and in fact uses the same wire.
To get this to work properly, you need to add a diode AFTER WHT/BLU emerges from the cluster connector at C511 PIN 8 IF you swapped PCBs over as I detailed above. The diode direction is pointing AWAY from the cluster. Connect WHT/BLU from the door-open connector here, AFTER the diode.
Can you elaborate on this part of the install? It's the only part that really has me stuck. My questions:
          Thank you in advance for the information. Like so many others, I really appreciate your DIY articles!
          Old 12-11-2013, 11:55 AM

^ Hi - I have updated the DIY with more explicit details about this, including a new simplified wiring diagram. I think it will answer all your questions; let me know if there's anything else you want me to clarify!

Good luck and happy wiring.

(Also fixed all the broken pic links ... sry 'bout that.)
          Old 12-11-2013, 03:46 PM
          Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahhh, GREAT update! Everything is crystal clear now! Thank you for taking the time to do that... It is SO much appreciated.

Also, the 7-pin connector can sometimes be found with optional Gathers audio equipment. It's used to connect an accessory (i.e., CD player, equalizer, etc) to the head unit:

Last edited by weatherall123; 12-11-2013 at 06:13 PM.
          Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 AM
          Honda-Tech Member

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Excellent updates! This is how every DIY should be done! Thank you very much!
          Old 02-04-2014, 03:11 PM
          Honda-Tech Member

I did the job on my car and the cluster worked well (for the door ajar)

the problem was that if the key wasnt in the ING position my dome light didnt come ON but just for the driver side... bizzare...

i did the interconnect with seatbelt plugs for the LT GRN/RED and didnt plug the wire of the other connector, i was thinking myself maybe if i plug it?

i did it and heard a ''tzzzz''

now the dome light dont light up and the door ajar driver side dont come on...

ive checked every fuses, checked the door switch ect...ect... ive disasemble the cluster and changed the light of the driver door then plug it back... notthing happend...

really need help :S

Last edited by Offlimits; 02-04-2014 at 03:45 PM.
          Old 02-04-2014, 03:58 PM

I'm afraid I don't really understand what you wrote. Please clarify in plain English with proper grammar and I will do my best to help.
          Old 02-04-2014, 05:12 PM
          Honda-Tech Member

Sorry Deschlong, english is not my first language and explaining the problem is not that easy...

so

i did the cluster conversion in my civic 92 HB Si, in fact ive took the JDM SIR II cluster and swapped the circuit board from a CDN one.

i did all the wirring and the ''door ajar'' worked

but

the driver side door wouldnt light up the dome light unless the key is in the ignition at ON position

without the key in the car, the passenger door once opened light up the dome light

so i was thinking that maybe i did a mistake on the interconnection on the LT GRN/RED: 2-pin connector, long story short, i have rewired the wire that says to put electrical tape on it and plug it back to the conector WITH the LT GRN/RED from the cluster...

it result on a ''short'' i presume and now, the driver door in the cluster dont light up anymore, the dome light dont light up with the driver door open ect..ect..

ive tested every fuses, tested the driver door latch redid the wiring...

i dont know what to do...

i read that ''maybe'' ive damaged the ICU, is it possible?

thanks again
          Old 02-04-2014, 06:17 PM

^ Thanks. Tu peux l'expliquer en français aussi si tu veux.

I think at this point you should take some pictures of the wiring you have done so I can check it from here. Numerous clear photos, in focus, would be best. This will help you with the door-open install. If you have fried your ICU, I can't really help you there. Although your ICU and dome light (and trunk light) all run off Fuse #3 (7.5A). Swap it with a KNOWN GOOD one. Does anything else in your ICU right? (Like the key-in indicator.) Beyond that, Fuse #36 (50A) in the under-hood fuse box may have blown. Do your moonroof or power locks work?
          Old 02-04-2014, 07:08 PM
          Honda-Tech Member

thanks for your fast answer deschlong!

you were right, 2 diodes in my ICU where fried, i have replaced it and replace the wiring like oem

for now it works like oem, im getting back under the dash to rereredo the job aiming for a full working cluster haha!!

thanks again, ill keep you posted

deschlong tu as facebook? plus facile de discuter pour le debuggage...

merci encore!!
          Old 02-04-2014, 07:12 PM

^ Bravo!

Et tu peux m'envoyer des PM....
          Old 02-04-2014, 07:37 PM
          Honda-Tech Member

ok from now, it looks like the cluster is not sending back that a door is open...

the door ajar works, right,left and tailgate

but the dome light is not working at all even if i try to light up by the switch on it...

have a clue?

also my alarm system detect that my passenger door is open but dont detect the driver door... there is no cut wire under my dash...
          Old 02-04-2014, 08:44 PM

If the dome light doesn't come on at all even with the switch, then it sounds like there's a problem with the WHT/RED (or WHT/BLU, depending on the year) going to the dome light. Did you mess with this wire at all?

It could also be a diode issue somewhere along the way ... especially if you have an alarm that also taps in to these wires.
          Old 02-04-2014, 09:43 PM
          Honda-Tech Member

this is my point. i have an alarm taped on the LGT GRN/RED...

okay its a logic problem, alarm syst is disconnected

if the car ing is at OFF :

open driver door : no dome light
          open passenger door : no dome light

if the car ing is at ON

open driver door / Passenger door closed : dome light ON
          driver door open / passenger door open : dome light OFF
          driver door close / passenger door open : dome light OFF
          while the passenger door (open) shut the dome light, i cant light it up even at ON position....

its weird that if my ignition is at OFF, i dont have any power on the dome light...

when the wiring was stock i had no issue...

have the same problem with my alarm... the passenger door can activate the alarm but not the driver door... ive wired the driver door switch directly to my alarm but its lightening both door on the cluster... grrrr....

maybe ive found the wrong 2 wire connector but its the only one ive found fixed on the body at the top of my cruise control module... and the ''door ajar'' works but just when the ignition is at ON otherwise if the car is at OFF door ajar dont work...
          Old 02-05-2014, 05:37 AM

^ Door ajar only works when IGN is ON(II), ie., the car is running. At ON(I) all the door ajar lights should illuminate: it is a test of the circuit to check for dead bulbs.

Send some good quality pics my way - it will help the diagnosis.

Quick Reply: [DIY] Honda Civic 92-95 JDM "Door Open" Gauge Cluster Indicator Light Install