Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[DIY] Honda Civic 92-95 EDM Heated Seats DIY Retrofit Install Guide

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: [FAQ] Honda Civic 92-95 EDM Heated Seats DIY Retrofit Install Guide

Yes, they'll work fine ... just you'll need two of them for the driver and passenger sides. Another option is the 2-in-1 switch from a 2nd Gen 2005/06 CR-V SE - p/n 38535-S9A-S01ZA will also work. Price is reasonable brand new for that ... about $50. I can *almost* guarantee that the connector size/shape will be the same as the '97 Acura CL one, which is the exact same as the hazard switch from a 92-95 Civic ... VERY easy to find.

Don't know what the connector looks like on the 38535-SM4-S01, but one of the main differences between that one and 38535-SR3-S01 is that the former lights up with the dash lights (very nice), while the latter does not. My guess is 38535-S9A-S01ZA (CR-V) also lights up with the dash lights, just like the Acura CL one.

EDIT: Here's what that CR-V switch looks like (Canadian 2005 CR-V):

Last edited by deschlong; 01-13-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deschlong
^ I suspected as much - and thanks for confirming (at your cost! boo. ). Two things come to mind:

1. I believe the mid-90's Acura Legend came with a switch in the correct dimensions that has a dial. IIRC, the switch has a built-in resistor allowing you to precisely adjust the temperature (changes resistance). I haven't seen a retrofit with this, yet, though I think user 'rickkane' was headed that way. This is the only switch of the correct dimension I've seen that has adjustable temperature.

2. I honestly think that adjustable temperature heated seats are a bit of a gimmick. I can't count the number of times I've wanted it on "LOW" because there haven't been any. Besides, if you're mounting the aftermarket ones I mention in the DIY, it already comes with a HI/LO switch. This I've mounted discreetly but accessible under the seat. For the zero times I've wanted to switch it to "LOW", I least knew I could if I wanted. Maybe in the fall it will come in handy during the cool evenings.

PS. Applause for owning a Civic with the burgundy/wine coloured interior! I found one at a wreckers not long ago, too. Not very common. Also: which heated seat elements are you using to retrofit into the Civic sedan seats? run in to any trouble?

Hey I bought these same switches used a dremel to shave some plastic on the edges and fitted them to my 99 civic ex sedan. They look really nice and flush like they belong on the car now I just have to hook them up but i dont have the pin layouts. because my aftermarket heaters already have those goofy round looking ones I was gonna cut the wires and hook them up to these oem ones. My heaters already came with the relays and wiring and what not but the hi/lo switch has like 3 wires but the oem switch has more than that. What am I missing? Can someone post what terminal does what. I don't wanna blow out these switches. Thank You in advance.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:35 PM

I am pleased to add some info to this thread:

I have now acquired a 2nd-Gen 05/06 CRV switch mentioned above. It is nearly identical to the 97 CL switch I used, however it has more of a matte finish vs. the CL's glossy look, and it lights up AMBER instead of the CL's bluish-green. Wiring is identical. Both switches' indicator lights glow green when turned ON.

Personally I am more of a fan of the CL switch but I *think* that's because I'm pretty used to it now.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like your write up! Keep up the good work!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have done this in my 93 Civic EX using a pair of Integra seats modified with the heated pads and the CL switch. Driver seat currently done, passenger seat due soon.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

look what i found... Its aftermarket but has its purpose for reference

CR-V Switch

38535-S9A-S01ZA
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2012, 03:11 AM

Very neat. Ironically, I think that aftermarket switch is more expensive (~$73 at RockAuto) than the one right from Honda (~$58, IIRC).
Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: [DIY] Honda Civic 92-95 EDM Heated Seats DIY Retrofit Install Guide

i bought heates seats today, sooo thanks for good info
Old 12-10-2012, 07:15 AM

Thanks! I am right in the middle of doing another retrofit of these since I have a new daily driver ('93 Si hatchback). Wiring is installed all the way to the switch (using correct OEM colours, of course!), and the heated seats go in tonight.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to read all this thread cause i have just one free place for switch and need to buy crv's double switch
Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info, planning on doing this after I can save up some more funds.

Last edited by brendon.richey; 02-17-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks ,will give it a try
Old 09-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Interested in this one... wanna update your dead pictures?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 PM

Fixed.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You tha man!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 PM

PM if you need a 2-in-1 switch.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PM if you need a 2-in-1 switch.
gonna check the yards first but I may PM you about a switch if I cant find one.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another excellent write up! This retrofit will definitely be in my future!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Found that double switch the other day at the yard, also snagged two others that are the L hi/lo and R hi/lo from another Acura!(no particular reason but maybe to re-sell) I will slowly gather all that I need for this mod and then get the pads...
Old 07-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Might've missed this info, but I didn't see it pictured, though I think you mentioned it-- Did you use two pads per seat (one each on the bottom cushion and the seat back cushion), for four heating pads total? It doesn't seem you cut the heating pad material and I don't think it's possible to cut the heating pad in half and still retain power to both, now-separate pieces.

Great write-up, BTW.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Deschlong, you are awesome. I did have a question though. At the yard I go to, I could get heated seat pads from any of the cars that have them, but I was wondering, should I measure the length and width of the donor pads? I don't know if it matter a whole lot if it's over the side a little bit. I'd make sure the pads work, of course. The reason I ask is that I can get some for like $10 at the yard.
Or if you have suggestions for what will fit, that works too lol
Thanks for any help!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:14 AM

^ You need heated seats in Texas? Sure!

You know I was just thinking about this today, that pretty much any heated seat pads from any vehicle *might* fit; a little experimenting could translate into no need to plunk down fistfuls of dollars. But, you need to be mindful of the way the fabric is attached to the foam cushioning. Look at my photos in the DIY and see how there are metal rods that are used? You'll need to work around these.

I've never actually sat in a seat with functional OEM Honda/Acura heated seats. I've only ever just seen them at the junkyards. I've used VW and Subaru ones, though. The VW ones I was impressed with 'cause they heated up fast!

Originally Posted by forward
Might've missed this info, but I didn't see it pictured, though I think you mentioned it-- Did you use two pads per seat (one each on the bottom cushion and the seat back cushion), for four heating pads total? It doesn't seem you cut the heating pad material and I don't think it's possible to cut the heating pad in half and still retain power to both, now-separate pieces.

Great write-up, BTW.
The heated seat pads I used in the DIY come in sets of two, one for the seat bottom, one for the seat back.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ You need heated seats in Texas? Sure!
Haha yea, for like, the three days in the year it actually gets cold here.

I've never actually sat in a seat with functional OEM Honda/Acura heated seats. I've only ever just seen them at the junkyards. I've used VW and Subaru ones, though. The VW ones I was impressed with 'cause they heated up fast!
When you say that, do you mean you went to the junkyards and didn't know if the seat pads on the junked cars worked or not?

Or as in you know a few guys with running cars with that option, and their heated seats didn't work?

Also, another thing. I went to go have a wiring diagram printed, and here's the entire heated seat circuit for a 97 CL:

The below descriptions go hand in hand with the picture, and when I use pin numbers, I'm referring to the Seat heater switch pins.

I've figured out what pins 5, 6, 7, 9, and 10 do, and I have an idea of what 8 and 9 do. The only thing is, I'd rather be a hundred percent positive that I know what they do. With the first set of those mentioned, I know that 6 and 9 receive and from the battery, through a fuse, and then through a relay and provide power up to the point of the switch. 5 and 10 come from the switch, and when the switches are turned on, they allow power to flow to their respective relays and subsequently the heater elements. Pin 7 is essentially the ground wire for both of the On indicator lights for each button.

Now here is where I'm a bit fuzzy. Pins 2 and 3 are for the Seat Heater Light Switch. But what part of the switch would that actually be? Would that mean that it's pretty much a dimmer for the two button lights, when dash lights are on? That wouldn't make sense to me because they aren't connected to the other bulbs.

When I use the switch, I want it to function like so: when the switch for a seat is turned off, I don't want the light on. When the switch for the seat is on, I want the light to be illuminated, regardless of the dash lights.

I'm trying to be as clear as I can with this. I know some of the other weathered forum guys get a bit grumpy when people don't explain things well. But lemme know if you have questions about what I meant.

By the way, I don't know if I mentioned, but this'll be going into a 99 Civic LX Sedan. I'd just rather do it the right way the first time, which I'm sure you can understand.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:19 PM

Neither. I mean I have never been in any Honda on the road that has had OEM heated seats and been able to use them. I've seen them in junkyards plenty, but I don't know anyone who actually drives a Honda with factory heated seats.

The seat heater switch light is the light that comes on with your dash lights to illuminate the switch buttons. Has nothing to do with the ON indicator light.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Neither. I mean I have never been in any Honda on the road that has had OEM heated seats and been able to use them. I've seen them in junkyards plenty, but I don't know anyone who actually drives a Honda with factory heated seats.
Ohhh, okay I gotcha. Guess I'll have to check them for proper operation at the yard.

The seat heater switch light is the light that comes on with your dash lights to illuminate the switch buttons. Has nothing to do with the ON indicator light.
Okay, I think I understand now. Pardon the mediocre drawing:

So the set marked 'A' is the ON indicators. The set marked 'B' is the seat heater switch light.

If that's correct, I think I will be using pins 2 and 3, in that case.

Quick Reply: [DIY] Honda Civic 92-95 EDM Heated Seats DIY Retrofit Install Guide