Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[DIY] Amber/Red 99-00 Climate Control/Cluster (apologies to 56k)

Old 11-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (selasornayr)

Good write-up. I just picked up my paint and bulbs and put the first coat on. Gonna put the 2nd coat on after work and install them tomorrow. Thanks!

Just a FYI I had to ask the napa clerk for the #24 bulbs because they don't put them up front.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (MikeD718)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MikeD718 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much different is this for a 96-98?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Couldn't tell ya for sure, i've never had the 96-98 cc apart. The gauge cluster would be about the same.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by selasornayr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you did the two bulbs on the top, did you cut out the blue part of the tab on top? Because if not, I can understand why you wouldn't be able to see anything because of the darker (amber) bulb's light having to pass through a blue filter. Anyway, I'm at work again, so no access to a camera at the moment, but just so that you have an idea, my needles illuminate the same exact color as my gauges... have you seen the JDM Ferio clusters that are orange with the rest black? That's how mine looks like at night... again, this is useless without pics, but I'll try to borrow a camera since mine's not working.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wanna see pics!!
Old 11-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (green00EX)

i just did my 98, the cluster was the same the cc was a little tough. you have to take apart alot more but mine turned out great thanks for the helpful write up
Old 11-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [DIY] Amber/Red 99-00 Climate Control/Cluster (green00EX)

Old 11-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [DIY] Amber/Red 99-00 Climate Control/Cluster (TurbLu)

looking good, got to try it
Old 11-15-2004, 04:49 PM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Nice write up.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by selasornayr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you did the two bulbs on the top, did you cut out the blue part of the tab on top? Because if not, I can understand why you wouldn't be able to see anything because of the darker (amber) bulb's light having to pass through a blue filter. Anyway, I'm at work again, so no access to a camera at the moment, but just so that you have an idea, my needles illuminate the same exact color as my gauges... have you seen the JDM Ferio clusters that are orange with the rest black? That's how mine looks like at night... again, this is useless without pics, but I'll try to borrow a camera since mine's not working.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know what you are talking about but im not sure if he cut his out or not..i dought he did because it was dim as **** on the needles. post them pics up asap man
Old 11-16-2004, 05:32 AM

automatic boooooooooooo
Old 11-16-2004, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jay.dee.em1)

Good write up man, Looks like you took your time and did a good job.

I Personally am not a fan of the amberish look, I kinda like the light blueish/white.
Seems much easier on the eyes..
Old 11-16-2004, 07:28 AM

very nice, i never thought that woul dhave turned out so nice.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:49 AM

Default Re: (OverDosedPerformance)

looks good....might have to try it
Old 11-16-2004, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jay.dee.em1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jay.dee.em1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">automatic boooooooooooo </TD></TR></TABLE>

ls/vtec and tranny swap are comin soon (but isnt that what everyone says.. )

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShad0w &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good write up man, Looks like you took your time and did a good job.

I Personally am not a fan of the amberish look, I kinda like the light blueish/white.
Seems much easier on the eyes.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Much easier on the eyes at night
Old 11-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what your talking about, but if the needle matches the gauge colors it will be very hard to see at night. Anyways great write up.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90blackcrx)

Dang so I have to paint the bulbs I pull out of my cluster too?
Old 11-16-2004, 12:41 PM

Default Re: (chowmien)

Would it be ok, I took out all the bulbs in the cluster? Reason I ask this because I currently have reverse indiglo gauges and when I have dimmer turned up all the way...it makes my gauges glow white/yellowish. I know the only drawback is I won't be able to see the trip meter and odometer at night but thats not a big deal...or is there a way I can keep the odometer and trip meter functional?
Old 11-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice write-up . im gonna have to try this in the sol... someday.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Daddy Yankee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daddy Yankee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would it be ok, I took out all the bulbs in the cluster? Reason I ask this because I currently have reverse indiglo gauges and when I have dimmer turned up all the way...it makes my gauges glow white/yellowish. I know the only drawback is I won't be able to see the trip meter and odometer at night but thats not a big deal...or is there a way I can keep the odometer and trip meter functional?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have no idea what your trying to ask man.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice DIY!!
Old 11-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Kicklow)

Painted mine in my crx today, came out more pinkish then I wanted it to. I actually wanted to dark red, anyone else experiment with other paints ?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:03 PM

Default Re: (Kicklow)

n/m, I figured it out! In the picture below, the ones circled red, those are the bulbs for the HVAC controls right? Do I paint the whole grey piece/bulb?

Old 11-17-2004, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take em out and tape the grey part and spray just the bulb.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Re: (chowmien)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chowmien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take em out and tape the grey part and spray just the bulb.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks! So you can clearly see the bulb when the grey piece is out? Again, thanks!

So do I use any of Testor's paint or do I have to use Testor's transparent paint? BTW, I'm going to do blue because its going match my deck.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daddy Yankee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks! So you can clearly see the bulb when the grey piece is out? Again, thanks!

So do I use any of Testor's paint or do I have to use Testor's transparent paint? BTW, I'm going to do blue because its going match my deck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, the bulb is clearly visible. Theres a blue condom like thing on top of it, i just took that off and painted the bulb. Careful not to break the bulb, they are expensive as ****.

I've no idea what transparent paint is never saw any when i bought the stuff i used. I used the regular spray paint.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:31 PM

looks really good man!!!
i did mine on my ek hb!!!
Old 11-17-2004, 03:07 PM

Default Re: (green00EX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by green00EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, the bulb is clearly visible. Theres a blue condom like thing on top of it, i just took that off and painted the bulb. Careful not to break the bulb, they are expensive as ****.

I've no idea what transparent paint is never saw any when i bought the stuff i used. I used the regular spray paint.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, so just pretty much choose the shade of blue I want then...

Alright when I'm removing the grey pieces for the bulbs, is the bulb attached or does the bulb pop out when the tab is removed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [DIY] Amber/Red 99-00 Climate Control/Cluster (apologies to 56k)