Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[DIY] Amber/Red 99-00 Climate Control/Cluster (apologies to 56k)

Old 11-13-2004, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [DIY] Amber/Red 99-00 Climate Control/Cluster (apologies to 56k)

Welcome to my first write up! I had been searching around for awhile in the archives of H-T and to no avail, i could not find a write up on how to make your 99-00 cluster/CC amber/red. So I decided to do my own writeup on it.
Originally I got the idea from BauleyCivic, and followed much of his tutorial until I got to the climate control. This thread can be found here:https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=661308. From there on, I was kinda navigating unclear waters, so bear with me

OK, lets get down to business. First off,
what you will need to complete this project.
1. Time
2. Testors Competition Orange #1628 spray can paint
3. A good phillips head screw driver
4. Flashlight or a treble light (or both )
5. Masking tape
6. 5 #24 automotive bulbs (got mine at NAPA)
7. 1 #194 bulb (also from NAPA)

Here’s the paint and the bulbs

First thing I did, was paint my cluster bulbs. I stuck them in a piece of cardboard, then taped around the bottom so no paint would seep through and get on the connectors.

I painted one coat, came back three hours later and painted them again and let it dry overnight. You could probably put more coats on, but mine turned out fine

The next day....
damn North Dakota weather!

Now to start taking apart your dash
This is relatively simple, but i've included pictures anyway, just to be cool
Starting with your gauge cluster...

Take out these two screws first

After you get them out, the bezel pops right out.

Next comes the cluster itself. These 4 screws right here do the trick

Slide it out carefully, and unplug the 5 plugs behind it

They are color coded so you cant mess up reinstallation

Here are the 6 bulbs located behind the cluster

In red are #24's, in blue is the #194
Pop those bulbs in there baby!
I had to pop that white case off to get to the other #24 bulb in there. I think only automatics have it, but im not entirely sure.

Now we have the easy part done! Now comes the hard part.
(BTW I reassembled the cluster and bezel after I finished this part so i wouldn't have to worry about it.)

Now we have to get after the climate control. First thing to do is take off the panel that is straight up from your knees when your sitting in the driver seat.

2 screws here

and one here

Next we take off the glove box. There are 2 bolts holding it in. They came out with my screw driver, but if you can’t get them out, use a socket
One here

and another here

Sorry for the shitty pics here, it was frikin hard to get a good shot of those. If you lay down and look up in the passenger footwell, you will see em.

Now out comes the middle panel.
2 screws here

a screw and one bolt here

Now you can slide that panel out, and remember to unplug the 12v outlet from behind.
So now we should be able to look up and see the frame holding in the climate control unit. There are 4 bolts up there holding it in place.
Here they are

Now you can slide out the whole CC unit as one.

The next thing i did was take out the climate control **** lights. To do this, i took out the 3 screws holding in the **** housing. Here are the 3 screws that hold it in:
2 here

1 here

Now we need to get at the light bulbs. To do this, i took 2 toothpicks and put each in a slot and turned them in opposite direction. I made a pic demonstrating how to do this because i can't explain it haha.

If you look up and around the underside of the cluster, you can see the other 2 bulbs for the a/c, defrost, and recirculate buttons. I used the same idea to take these bulbs out also.

bluryness owned me on that picture, but you can get a general idea of what it looks like.

Now's not a bad time to clean out those blower ducts either. I sprayed simple green down there and wiped it out.

So now that I had these bulbs out, i taped around them and painted them (since I didn't want to buy all new bulbs, they are expensive as hell).

Once you reach this point, your pretty much done! Reassembly is the opposite of disassembly.

So now for the results!

Here is my cluster before the DIY JDM hotness:

Completely stock, and definitely boring. The bottom bulb in my CC ***** was burnt out also.

In with the new!

I really like how this turned out I was kinda scared at how the climate control would turn out, not being bright enough or not illluminating what i needed to see, but it looks good and im very pleased with the results!

Special thanks to BauleyCivic for the writeup that got me through the gauge cluster, also AztecEJ for the right paint, and anyone else who helped me along the way!

Now get out there and do this!

Modified by green00EX at 6:44 PM 11/21/2004

Modified by green00EX at 1:39 PM 11/24/2004

Modified by green00EX at 1:40 PM 11/24/2004
Old 11-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: [DIY] Amber/Red 99-00 Climate Control/Cluster (green00EX)

in painting these bulbs, it will fade in time correct? but nice write up bro!
Old 11-13-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Re: [DIY] Amber/Red 99-00 Climate Control/Cluster (JDMFreak)

might try this one my climate control
Old 11-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I found it a lot less hassle to just by the same # of em1 si bulbs, and swap their orange condoms onto my bulbs (since for 96-98 theyre different styles)
Old 11-13-2004, 04:07 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I found it a lot less hassle to just by the same # of em1 si bulbs, and swap their orange condoms onto my bulbs (since for 96-98 theyre different styles)</TD></TR></TABLE>

i also have a 96-98 climate control and dont want to go through the time and effort to swap it out for the 99-00. where did you get these EM1 Si bulbs from? how much were they? as for the guage cluster i bought a EM1 Si cluster.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [DIY] Amber/Red 99-00 Climate Control/Cluster (JDMFreak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in painting these bulbs, it will fade in time correct? but nice write up bro! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've been driving it for like 3 months and no fading yet.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FdOoUoRr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i also have a 96-98 climate control and dont want to go through the time and effort to swap it out for the 99-00. where did you get these EM1 Si bulbs from? how much were they? as for the guage cluster i bought a EM1 Si cluster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda dealer will have them.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by green00EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Honda dealer will have them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

of course
em1 si is the 99-00 si, if you were wondering.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Re: [DIY] Amber/Red 99-00 Climate Control/Cluster (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> of course
em1 si is the 99-00 si, if you were wondering.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i knew it was the 99-00 Si, thanks though.

also how much do the bulbs cost from Honda? Honda is not cheap.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:11 PM

very thorough writeup good job
Old 11-13-2004, 08:09 PM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

perfect, exactly what i needed to see, nice write up bro
Old 11-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [DIY] Amber/Red 99-00 Climate Control/Cluster (FdOoUoRr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FdOoUoRr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also how much do the bulbs cost from Honda? Honda is not cheap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Which bulbs are you looking for? The ones behind the cluster i can't give you a specific price. I bought mine from checkers, although there not oem they are the same bulb. If your looking for the bulbs behind the climate control, it'll cost you. It was like $11 for the 2 that go behind my cluster *****.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Good work Version of my writeup for EK's...finally cuz half the people kept whining about me not having one
Old 11-14-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

79609-S02-A01 NeoWedge Bulb roughly $2.50

I dont remember how many you need (5) sounds right though. That way you can do the heater and other buttons
Old 11-14-2004, 08:54 AM

everything on mine is a 98, would i just buy all the same stuff yuo did and would the preocedure basically be the same? awesome job btw, im really considering trying this.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:04 AM

Looks good man.... I'd do it up on mine if it wasn't 20 degrees outside
Old 11-14-2004, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic_speed99)

nice write up man! me and my friend did this like 2 years ago and the paint did fade after about 5 months...
Old 11-14-2004, 09:13 AM

It looks like that you forgot to do the bulbs at the very top of the cluster (this happened to me too) because your needles aren't amber yet. I believe that at the very top of the cluster, there's two bulbs that need to be painted. After that, you need to take the cluster apart and remove this plastic strip at the very top. It should be a plastic strip with two patches of blue tint... this is where the bulb shines through to illuminate the needles. Take out the plastic strip and use a razor to cut the blue parts out... after that, get a piece of scotch tape or any clear tape and cover up your cut out holes. Then, put the cluster back together and put back the painted bulbs, and then you will have matching needles to your cluster.

I don't have pics at the moment (I'm at work), but if you have trouble, let me know.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Re: [DIY] Amber/Red 99-00 Climate Control/Cluster (selasornayr)

looks like a great DIY man. nice detailed instructions too. i think it looks better with white needles, cuz they stick out more apart from the numbers, but either way though, its tight ****.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great DIY write up green00EX! I did this on my old eg8 and I reccomend it to everyone, it looks harder to do on em's alot of unscrewing... but you will be pleased with the results to you
Old 11-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

nice job!
Old 11-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic_speed99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_speed99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks good man.... I'd do it up on mine if it wasn't 20 degrees outside</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know how you feel, I went driving around and blasted the heat for like 20 minutes and then worked on the cluster. to cold weather.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by selasornayr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It looks like that you forgot to do the bulbs at the very top of the cluster (this happened to me too) because your needles aren't amber yet. I believe that at the very top of the cluster, there's two bulbs that need to be painted. After that, you need to take the cluster apart and remove this plastic strip at the very top. It should be a plastic strip with two patches of blue tint... this is where the bulb shines through to illuminate the needles. Take out the plastic strip and use a razor to cut the blue parts out... after that, get a piece of scotch tape or any clear tape and cover up your cut out holes. Then, put the cluster back together and put back the painted bulbs, and then you will have matching needles to your cluster.

I don't have pics at the moment (I'm at work), but if you have trouble, let me know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah those 2 bulbs on top are still white. I havent got around to painting them yet. It looks pretty good right now though so i might just keep it. Show us some pics though, i'd like to see what it looks like
Old 11-14-2004, 05:14 PM

Awesome.

THanks for the write-up

it looks really good
Old 11-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (green00EX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by green00EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I know how you feel, I went driving around and blasted the heat for like 20 minutes and then worked on the cluster. to cold weather.

Yeah those 2 bulbs on top are still white. I havent got around to painting them yet. It looks pretty good right now though so i might just keep it. Show us some pics though, i'd like to see what it looks like </TD></TR></TABLE>

Trust me if you paint the top two bulbs you wont be able to see the needles for ****...atleast in my case thats how it turned out But if you do it make sure you post pics
Old 11-15-2004, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LudeSH)

how much different is this for a 96-98?
Old 11-15-2004, 03:06 PM

Default Re: (LudeSH)

When you did the two bulbs on the top, did you cut out the blue part of the tab on top? Because if not, I can understand why you wouldn't be able to see anything because of the darker (amber) bulb's light having to pass through a blue filter. Anyway, I'm at work again, so no access to a camera at the moment, but just so that you have an idea, my needles illuminate the same exact color as my gauges... have you seen the JDM Ferio clusters that are orange with the rest black? That's how mine looks like at night... again, this is useless without pics, but I'll try to borrow a camera since mine's not working.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [DIY] Amber/Red 99-00 Climate Control/Cluster (apologies to 56k)