Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

--== N E E D H E L P ==--

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default --== N E E D H E L P ==--

Recently, my 97 civic hatch (stock) was not been starting.

it works fine with the push start (push car in 2nd and floor it), but the ignition won't work. i haven't had a mechanic look at it cause it'lll cost mad $$. My dad and i took apart the starter (most likely that) and we have tried testing it. Most tests have failed, but my dad would like to find the Ignition Coil so he can do another test. Does anyone know where that is located? or Can any one give a diagram for me?

if you have answers to my questions, or anything helpful in my time of need would be appreciated.

eddie

[Modified by djeddiebear, 11:16 AM 1/5/2002]

[Modified by djeddiebear, 12:16 PM 1/5/2002]
Old 01-05-2002, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: --== N E E D H E L P ==-- (djeddiebear)

Can someone help him. I don't own a civic so I don't know where it is but hey I'm sure one of you guys has to know.
Old 01-05-2002, 03:24 PM

Default Re: --== N E E D H E L P ==-- (Boost Pressure)

The coil and ignitor are both found in the distributor. You need to take the cap off to remove the distributor from the car, take off the cap (the small screws), remove the rotor (one small screw) and the you'll be able to get at the coil and ignitor within the distributor itself. I take it you don't have a shop manual (helms)? Anyway, follow this link for a diagram of the distributor for your car. I have written instructions below how to remove the ignitor and coil.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...TEC%29+%281%29

1. remove distributor from engine (3 bolts hold it in place, one on top and two on the bottom). Before doing so, mark the location of the bolt holding the top of the distributor the the engine so that you'll be able to preserve your ignition timing. Use a marker or scribe a line across the top of metal where the distribitor meets with the engine.

2. remove the distributor cap (item #2 on the far righthand side of the diagram) which the ignition wires plug into. There are three easily located screws which hold this in place. Don't lose the cap gasket, item #8 on the diagram.

3. remove the rotor (item #3 on the diagram). It is held in place by a single screw, item #9 on the diagram.

4. slip off the leak cover (item #5 in the diagram). The rotor holds this in place, so once you've removed the rotor it will simply pull off.

5. The ignitor (item #7) and the coil (item #10) are both found within the main body of the distributor (item #4). There's usual 1 or 2 small screws at the base of the ignitor which hold it in place. Remove these and if you have a spare ignitor (from any friend with a D-series engine Honda) test-fit it and reassemble the distributor and try firing up the engine. I bet my left nut this is your problem. If that doesn't work, try swapping out the coil for a known working on and try that.

I actually found that I could use a D-series ignitor in my B-series distributor. Same parts number written on the ignitor itself. If your Dad or anyone you know owns a Honda, ask them if you can borrow their ignitor to test your distributor. Just make sure you compare the parts number on the ignitors so you're not using an incompatible part. Don't want to blow **** up

There is a diagnostics test outlined in the Helms shop manual that will help you pinpoint where the problem is. I'll go grab my shop manual and type it up for you in a few minutes.

Hope this helps

Dave

[Modified by Maxi, 4:28 PM 1/5/2002]
Old 01-05-2002, 04:09 PM

Default Re: --== N E E D H E L P ==-- (Maxi)

Ok, I've scanned 4 pages from my 'Haynes' shop manual, though it's for a 92-95 Civic, not a 97-01 Civic. Nevertheless, the testing procedure outlined on these pages should be the same for both cars. The links below will take you to each of the 4 scanned pages. Save them to your harddrive (right click and select 'save target to' and then pick a spot on your harddrive somewhere you can find them) and then use a viewer like 'Adobe Photoshop' to zoom in on the image so you can read the text. Or just open them up in something like MS Word, enlarge them and print them off. I've scanned them at a high enough resolution that they should be easy to read even if you enlarge them this way.

page 1 http://www.imagestation.com/mypictur...&caption=dist1

page 2 http://www.imagestation.com/mypictur...&caption=dist2

The ImageStation website seems to be locked up so I can't upload the other two pages yet. I'll try again in half an hour. Otherwise, post your e-mail address so I can send them to you directly.

If you plan on doing any more work on your car, go and buy a 'Haynes' manual ($20) if you don't plan on doing anything too ambitious. These manuals are cheap but they're not that detailed. Good for minor stuff like this distributor problem, but lack detail for other things. If you want the best and most complete manual money can buy, get a 'Helms' manual. This is the professional manual mechanics use at the dealership. You can buy one from a dealership (about $50-60) or order direct from Helms online.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Dave

[Modified by Maxi, 5:11 PM 1/5/2002]
Old 01-05-2002, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: --== N E E D H E L P ==-- (Maxi)

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

i fixed it..

took off starter, and tested it at local shop. it was alryte, except it was pushing over twice the amount of amps than its suppposed to. i put it back on, and tried again. DAMN person before me did a bad wiring job with ignition, that was the whole problem all along.

thanks for help

later