Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

*reputable or not* japanstarmotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *reputable or not* japanstarmotors

are they a reliable company to buy off of?

anyone have prior experience?

TIA!
Old 03-16-2004, 07:29 PM

Default Re: *reputable or not* japanstarmotors (egtype-r)

One word:
http://www.totaljdm.com/
Buy here and don't get screwed.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Re: *reputable or not* japanstarmotors (NateTL17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NateTL17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One word:
http://www.totaljdm.com/
Buy here and don't get screwed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

expensive much?

i cant afford that
Old 03-16-2004, 07:42 PM

I have communicated with them they are an actual company i went to the warehouse in manasses. I was going to buy a complete disc covsion for 150.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:39 PM
New User

read this,..this might answer your question

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=801338
Old 03-16-2004, 08:44 PM

Default Re: (2.0 EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2.0 EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">read this,..this might answer your question

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=801338</TD></TR></TABLE>
EXACTLY

I pity the fool that complains about prices. Engine swaps are 'sposed to be exspensive.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (NateTL17)

http://www.hmotorsonline.com
Old 03-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.hmotorsonline.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

Between me and my friends we have gotten 3 motors and various parts from Steve at HMO. I have never gone wrong buying swaps and such through HMO.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Re: (b16a ferio)

a friend on a local board took a trip there to pick up a b16. i'll copy and paste the story, because you have to register. it's long so cliff notes: stay far far away from those people

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

then saturday morning (yesterday) rolls around. we get up at 5:30, and are on the road by 6:10 am. we head out the turnpike to breezewood, then south through maryland and virgina. we reach Manassas at about 10:30 am. (not too bad)

as we roll up to the warehouse, i get a bad BAD vibe from the place. in front, there are about 3 BEAT *** civics that are completely riced out. They have kanji, and crappy decals, and **** hanging from the rear view mirrors. right from the start, i knew it was gonna be a bust.

so we walk inside, and ask for the owner. coincidentally, the grimiest asian guy in there is the owner, and hes also probably the shadiest motherphucker i've ever met. we ask to see the motors. the first (hence, engine #1) is sitting on the floor in the back of the warehouse, looking old and beat. we inspect it all over. the block id badge is correct. however, it has rtv-sealant around the transmission housing. hmmm, thats not a good sign. so we ask to see engine #2.

#2 was just drying off from a "wash"... which left it looking dirtier than #1. not a good sign. it also had red "ricer wires" (spark plug wires), which didnt sit well with me. again, we look all over this engine to make sure it was correct. it was. good. but we also notice that this engine also has a THICK coat of RTV sealant on the transmission housing. hmmm, not sure if this one even had an LSD.

so then we ask for compression checks on both engines. #2 fails miserable (keep in mind that the owner said both engines were fine.) Honda engines are supposed to hold 180-190 psi of air during a compression check. Well, #2 held 125, 80, 110, and 115 respectively. i told the owner flat-out that honda motors are supposed to be at least 180 psi. he said that was not right, and that the motor was fine. i insisted that he was wrong, and he just shook his head.

then we go over to #1 and give the same compression test. before we even hook up the meter, the owner says the engine is no good. well, we get the test running. cyl. 2 and 3 give back a reading of ZERO psi, and 25 psi respectively. i just look at the owner with the biggest look of disgust on my face, and he looks away. then a mechanic tests cylinder 1 on the engine. 185psi. **** you guys. i was right. and both engines are broken. you ********.

so my dad and i get out of there to talk. over lunch we discuss that we'd consider giving them 800 for engine #1 (blown head-gasket engine), or 1400 for both engines. we go back, and the owner doesnt even flinch. i say, "listen, these engines are obviously broken. i'll give you 700 for one, to take it off your hands so you can get better inventory in here."

he says
"no. nothing is wrong with these engines. you let them run for one day, and they will be fine. i will not sell them for less than 1300."

"but they are broken. we will have to fix them to get them to run."

"no, they are fine. i stand at 1300"

well, we arent buying a broken B16 for 1300. goodbye.

and then the ******* has the nerve to ask us to tell all our friends about how good their operation is. well, i'm holding up my end of the bargain. JapanStarMotorsports is the biggest shithole JDM engine supplier on the east coast. they are dishonest, and have poor business ethics. they will sell you a broken engine without thinking twice.

well, thats my story. i know its long, and i apologize. but i just thought i'd share. enjoy the pics.

cheers
-Carl
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Modified by jwn7 at 8:15 PM 3/17/2004
Old 03-17-2004, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jwn7)

^^^^after that I will consider buying my motor from someone else, even though I live in virginia too! They have good prices on 5 lug conversions I have seen in the past but I am not sure to stray away from that either. I just don't know now...
Old 03-17-2004, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will NOT Buy a motor from them.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *reputable or not* japanstarmotors (93CivicSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a friend on a local board took a trip there to pick up a b16. i'll copy and paste the story, because you have to register. it's long so cliff notes: stay far far away from those people

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some points of his post are valid and some aren't first of all this is hearsay from another person on a second board, First off there aren't any asian people working there, I have been there on numerous occasions, The shop is a business establishment, and you can only take bargining too far, 1300 for a complete B16 is pretty low, are expecting a super clean b16 with low miles, welcome to reality......as far as doing compression checks I would like to know how he did that, cause most people don't think of doing that, did he turn the motor over manually, or impact, cause there air compressor system over there doesn't even take off 32mm axle bolts....sorry for the rant but I just hate people jumping on bandwagons that say he said she said.....best thing is to go to the shop and inspect what you are gonna purchase.....

On another note, there are those from that shop that are shady in there own accounts, i.e. this ongoing fued between total jdm and japanstar.....and posting on multiple boards talking smack about each other........

In the end research what you are purchasing and if you are close enough go yourselves and check inventory yourself......I am sure flaming is going to come about but I really don't care....I got a set of Zeal s6s for a really great price.......and often get other little goodies at really exceptional prices......
Old 03-17-2004, 05:24 AM

dam that sucks. Well at least you were smart enough to see a beat *** motor when its there. Good luck on getting a good motor.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:30 AM

Default Re: *reputable or not* japanstarmotors (MikeNice)

i heard jhpusa.com sells good motors
Old 03-17-2004, 05:55 AM

Default Re: *reputable or not* japanstarmotors (krazynub)

hmm...i bought an engine from japan star...they told me the engine i was about to get was fine and all...so i took it home...did a comp. check and it was kinda low at one cylinder...like 210-170-210-205...so i called them...told them...they let me bring it back...do as many comp. checks on any motor i wanted to look at...so i picked out the next highest one...it was like 220-220-225-220...so i took it home...put it in...and its still running fine.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *reputable or not* japanstarmotors (paRRRker)

Was it a B16b?
Old 03-17-2004, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.hmotorsonline.com</TD></TR></TABLE> i 2nd that
Old 03-17-2004, 06:20 AM

Default Re: *reputable or not* japanstarmotors (1oo%Evil)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1oo%Evil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Was it a B16b?</TD></TR></TABLE>

nahh
Old 03-17-2004, 07:23 AM

I bought from hmotorsonline and had a good experience. Great engine, fair pricing.

I would buy from them again w/o any hesitation.

Check this thread for more comprehensive info on buyers' experiences with different companies:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=50010
Old 03-17-2004, 08:14 AM

Default Re: (R33CIVIC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R33CIVIC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^^after that I will consider buying my motor from someone else, even though I live in virginia too! They have good prices on 5 lug conversions I have seen in the past but I am not sure to stray away from that either. I just don't know now...</TD></TR></TABLE>

you live close though. do what others have done... go to the shop and form your own opinion.