Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

*problem* Installing CAI, no hole in engine/fender area for piping?! (97' dx) HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *problem* Installing CAI, no hole in engine/fender area for piping?! (97' dx) HELP

Yeah so i just got my new intake, got it all set up and painted with high temp engine paint. Went to take out my stock airbox and then got to thinking...

where the **** is the hole inside the engine bay near the fender area for the piping to go into? Did honda just screw up my car and forgot to cut that part out or something? I have a 97' DX, d16y7 (yea, yeah, its slow) ...Most cars have that 4inch diameter hole for the intake tube to go into, but for some reason i dont!!! Words cannot express how befuddled i am right now...

so should i cut a hole? what do i use to cut it?

or

should i try to bend the piping around and under the inside area of the bumper next to the fender area? but it might be someone obsolete there.

HELP!!!!

Please help, i've been searching for about 25mins now and cant find anything...kill me if someone can search and find something, but i've got nothing.

GRRRR, ARGGG
-dan
Old 07-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Electrician

Did you remove the resonator that's UNDER the airbox (under the body)? Pull your fender liner, it's a black box held up by 2 10mm bolts.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:51 PM

Default Re: (Dimi)

no i didnt, would removing that reveal the hole somehow?

when i look at the car, where most cars have that opening, i just have like the steel engine bay and a little indentation where the hole should be.
Would pulling the resonator loosen a piece of the steel that would show the hole?

i feel so stupid, its gotta be there...how can it not be? lol

keep talking to me, i gotta figure this out or else i wont sleep tonight
Old 07-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (levels1069)

Do you have a drill? drill a bunch of holes, making your circle, then punch it out.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *problem* Installing CAI, no hole in engine/fender area for piping?! (97' dx) HELP (levels1069)

wow, thats wierd, lol, check if anythings under there before you drill.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:24 PM

Default Re: *problem* Installing CAI, no hole in engine/fender area for piping?! (99FBPSi)

Befuddled huh? Haven't heard that one in a long time. Have any pics of your bay?
Old 07-16-2004, 06:44 PM

Default Re: *problem* Installing CAI, no hole in engine/fender area for piping?! (crashN2u)

i think i am gonna go under, make sure there is nothing in the way....make a bunch of holes. Then take out the jigsaw w/ the steel cutting blade and make a nice perfect cirlce.

nope i have no pics of my engine bay, i'll get some when i'm all done though. I've got a bottle of concentrated simple green here to clean up the engine bay that will have my newly painted valvecover, strut bar, and intake. This is my little project to keep my busy, and it always feels macho to cut **** with a jigsaw. J/K, i am gonna be very careful, very.

edit: yes, befuddled....good 10 cent word
Old 07-16-2004, 06:44 PM

Default Re: *problem* Installing CAI, no hole in engine/fender area for piping?! (crashN2u)

The Civics between 96' - 98' do not have the hole for the CAI. You need to cut out the hole that is required by your CAI. Its simple, line up where your CAI would go and cut a hole through there. 99' - 00" Civics already have the CAI cutout.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:54 PM

Default Re: *problem* Installing CAI, no hole in engine/fender area for piping?! (mp7235)

yes, thank you very much....i was hoping someone would say that.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *problem* Installing CAI, no hole in engine/fender area for piping?! (mp7235)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mp7235 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Civics between 96' - 98' do not have the hole for the CAI. You need to cut out the hole that is required by your CAI. Its simple, line up where your CAI would go and cut a hole through there. 99' - 00" Civics already have the CAI cutout. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's retarded i didn't know that these civic didn't have passages for the cai. are you sure that's correct cause i find myself in disbelief.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is that retarded? Was honda supposed to know that somebody wanted a CAI there?

If you look closely tho you will see its beveled or has a dent/marking where you should cut the hole.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:13 PM

Default Re: (Andres-eh2)

I have a 97 EX and it has the hole for the CAI to go through.

However, I have seen some 6th gens that have that part completely sealed (hole was never cut open). Maybe LX/DX's are like this?

Or maybe it's where the chassis came from. Who knows. You'll have to cut the hole yourself.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *problem* Installing CAI, no hole in engine/fender area for piping?! (97' dx) HELP (levels1069)

i think only ex's and si's had the cut out cause the airbox is different, maybe hx's too. anything with the y7 manifold didn't have it but the outline of where the cut out should be is there.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:19 PM

Default Re: (chimchimm5)

dx/cx/lx dont have the hole, I have a 96 dx and I had to cut the hole, there is nothing in the way, I used a die grinder and a cut off wheel. Paint the bare metal with some touch up so it doesn't rust and put some rubber stripping around the hole so it doesn't scratch the intake tube. The lower models weren't really focused on for performance. There was no need for massive airflow. good luck
Old 07-16-2004, 10:44 PM

Hrmmm...my friend has a 98 EX and his CAI doesn't even go through the hole...it goes from the throttle body and then then between the metal fender and the tranny then into the bumper.
His CAI goes where my ghetto ram air is coming from.

Hope this helps
Old 07-16-2004, 11:18 PM

Default Re: (jeffk182)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffk182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hrmmm...my friend has a 98 EX and his CAI doesn't even go through the hole...it goes from the throttle body and then then between the metal fender and the tranny then into the bumper.

Hope this helps </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you holding the two together with string? That is ghetto. LOL. I used to do the same type of ****.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Back when i had my 98 civic lx...it didnt have a hole either...i bought an aem cold air..it routed under the frame and into the fender well...You sure you got the right intake?
Old 07-16-2004, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its okay to drill, I did that with my 97 dx
Old 07-16-2004, 11:25 PM

LOL yes its held together with wire HAHAHA...very ghetto indeed, but it keeps my intake piping cold =D

Are you sure its the correct intake? Intake for the DX/CX/LX is the same...EX is different because of a different intake manifold. Check to make sure its the right intake because im sure it goes where I told you it routes..should route the way LudeSH said as well.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:40 PM

dude just cut a hole. we did it the old skool way with a regular drill bit and drilled a few holes and punched it out and filed it down some and it looks factory, and it took us like 5 minutes. its easy. this is the best pic i have, i'd go snap another one but the civic is at the shop

oh yeah, and the pipes came that color, i'm gonna paint em black

Old 07-16-2004, 11:50 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (crashN2u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crashN2u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you holding the two together with string? That is ghetto. LOL. I used to do the same type of ****. </TD></TR></TABLE>

whatever works man,

rather have a tube shooting cold air at might intake right up close and held by shitty string,

than be held by nothing and be shootin the air from far away.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:50 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffk182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hrmmm...my friend has a 98 EX and his CAI doesn't even go through the hole...it goes from the throttle body and then then between the metal fender and the tranny then into the bumper.

Hope this helps </TD></TR></TABLE>

yo where'd yo uget that bendy tubing btw?
Old 07-17-2004, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffk182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL yes its held together with wire HAHAHA...very ghetto indeed, but it keeps my intake piping cold =D

Are you sure its the correct intake? Intake for the DX/CX/LX is the same...EX is different because of a different intake manifold. Check to make sure its the right intake because im sure it goes where I told you it routes..should route the way LudeSH said as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-17-2004, 02:00 AM

yeah, my 98 ex coupe has that hole... my AEM CAI goes through it into the bumper... so assuming by my car, id say EX's have the hole... dunno about the rest
Old 07-17-2004, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (imk)

The DXs don't have the hole. If you ordered an intake for a DX then you would not have any problems because it is made some what like a GSR intake, it goes down just in front of the transmission and has a 90 degree bend under the fender/bumper area.

It seems like your only option is to cut a hole since you've already bought the intake. There shouldn't be anything under there so just go to like Home Depot or something and get a hole saw attachment for your drill.

Quick Reply: *problem* Installing CAI, no hole in engine/fender area for piping?! (97' dx) HELP