Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

*No Vtec ( 90 psi at sending unit, 25 psi at vtec pressure port at 5000rpm)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *No Vtec ( 90 psi at sending unit, 25 psi at vtec pressure port at 5000rpm)

Vehicle = 2000 Honda Civic Si Em1
Engine = B18c5 Block with b18c5 head and internals all purchased from Acura Of Las Vegas New. Stock Transmission from the (b16a2)
Mods = AEM intake, Skunk2 Pro series Intake Manifold, AEM HF Fuel Rail with regulator w/ pressure set to 42 with vaccum line connected. Greddy header, 2 1/2 exhaust
Ecu = 2001 Acura Integra Type R Ecu (p73) Immobilizer removed

okay, i checked the o-ring under the middle cam cap finally and its there. When I first got the car, Vtec never hit. After the third oil change I did, I finally heard it hit. But after the car is fully warmed up I guess the oil thins and drops pressure. And then after about a week off driving, then the vtec engages and disengages. Does any one know the direct oil passages to the selonoid. When I take off the valve cover, there is plenty of oil on the cams and everything so I belive it is just the oil going to the solenoid that is low pressure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tryed all data and the haynes manual and they only go so far into details on vtec trouble shooting. I changed the oil about a week ago and vtec actually fully engaged through first gear and then when i shifted into second you can hear it disengage then engage. I did not think vtec would make that much more power like it did.
Things I have checked

- NO DENTS ONE THE OIL PAN
-i TRYED ANOTHER KNOWN WORKING SELONOID AND SENSOR ( NO FIX)
- TOOK APART THE SOLENOID AND CLEANED IT VERY GOOD WITH BRAKE CLEANER)
- THE PLUNGER IN THE SOLENOID MOVES FREELY.
- THE SOLENOID SCREEN IS CLEAN
- ALL THE WIRING IS FROM THE STOCK B16A2 SO THE ALL WIRING DEALING WITH VTEC ARE PLUG AND PLAY.
- THEN I BOUGHT AN OIL PRESSURE TESTER AND TESTED THE PRESSURE AT THE VTEC PRESSURE PORT
- AT 5000RPM , SOLENOID NOT ENGAGED = UNDER 7 PSI
- AT 5000RPM , SOLENOID MANUALLY ENGAGED FROM 12 VOLT BATTERY
( CAN HEAR THE SOLENOID CLICK) = AROUND 25 PSI
-When I engage the solenoid manually to the battery at 5000rpm, I can actually hear, (which I believe is the vtec pistons(pins) trying to lock the rocker but locking and unlocking the rockers together, which makes a horrible loud ticking sound. ( WITH OUT THE SOLENOID ENGAGED MANUALLY, I CAN REV THE ENGINE THROUGH 6000RPM AND THERE IS NO TICKING NOISE) So I know it has something to do with the vtec pins trying to lock but unlocking due to low oil pressure. I believe.

- Then I took the oil pressure tester and hooked it up the the sending unit next to the oil filter.
- At 5000rpm, I believe there was around 85-90 psi which is plenty.
Where would the drop in pressure be caused going to the solenoid port?
I can not find a diagram showing me from the oil pan to pick up and then to where the passage leads.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Bill
kb42okb is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 11-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: *No Vtec ( 90 psi at sending unit, 25 psi at vtec pressure port at 5000rpm)

somthing mechanical then. blow air into service port to see if locking pins engage?

edit: you already did that...gotta be somthing loose.