Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

*HELP* Stock 1997 Civic D16y8 Motor Won't Start *Searched*

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 *HELP* Stock 1997 Civic D16y8 Motor Won't Start *Searched*

Just did a bunch of maintenance on my stock d16y8 motor, but will not start. Put in new OEM head gasket, arp head studs, timing belt, water pump, valve cover seals, thermostat, put on a new VTEC solenoid, and pressure switch from a donor head, and did some other maintenance. Long story short, double checked the timing, all marks are where they should be. I made a diagram so I can get feedback on whether or not I'm correct. I am getting spark ( new cap and rotor, new NGK spark plugs), there is fuel on the spark plugs when you pull them so im getting fuel, (new fuel filter just put in as well) and obviously I'm getting air. Motor turns over, but will not fire up. I have no idea as to what I'm missing, and as to why the motor will not start. Throwing CEL #22 for "VTEC pressure valve" according to HondaTech. Don't think this would make a difference. The only other thing is that I'm missing my knock senor (didn't realized it until the head was off the car so it was running before without one, however, in the past, the car never would go into VTEC, and would rev out at 5,500 RMP for an unknown reason. I just figured it was for CEL 22. The ECU is the stock just for reference. Any help with this issue as to why my car will not start would be great. Thanks in advance.

Here is what my timing marks all look like, I know it's not the greatest:
Old 10-12-2009, 09:17 PM

Default Re: *HELP* Stock 1997 Civic D16y8 Motor Won't Start *Searched*

have you double checked the sparkplug wire are on the dizzy right. It may not be in the right firing order
Old 10-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slow96lude
have you double checked the sparkplug wire are on the dizzy right. It may not be in the right firing order
Yes, double check that as well unfortunately. It is correct. Still won't start

Order starting at the top going clockwise is 3-4-2-1 according to what i read. Plus the spark plug wires all are in a straight line so it verifies this is correct. When its incorrect, they are tangled, at one point they were out of order, so this is how I know.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Does the car even act like its trying to fire? It just seems weird that you have all the goods to run..but wont fire. Have you checked all the fuses under the hood?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the car even act like its trying to fire? It just seems weird that you have all the goods to run..but wont fire. Have you checked all the fuses under the hood?
i agree. Maybe the ecu fuse? Or check the clip on the driver side near brake master and the clip near the fuse box. Sounds like it wants to start.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, a few times it sounded like it wanted to start. I checked the under hood fuses, have not check under dash fuses yet, mainly because I just didn't think anything under there would be preventing the starting of the car. My other thought was the main relay but I am getting fuel so I ruled that out. Still can't think of what the heck it is. Check all the grounds, all the sensors, I can't find anything out of place.

I did have to take off and reassemble the rocker arms in the head but double checked they were all in correctly and everything was where it needed to be when it went back together. No weird noises when the motor turns over so I assume its nothing internal either.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BEATurBOYS
i agree. Maybe the ecu fuse? Or check the clip on the driver side near brake master and the clip near the fuse box. Sounds like it wants to start.
Yes, checked the ECU fuse, in the past had this go out on me so I was sure to check that one first. I guess I'll have to check all the fuses just to be sure nothing is keeping it from starting. Thanks for input, if you can think of any other pointers all tips are appreciated
Old 10-12-2009, 09:57 PM

are you pos your getting fuel? Are you hearing the fuel pump prime? This is so weird. there has to be something that your missing. Backfiring at all? did you physically look at a sparkplug to check for spark. How did it look. Orange, Blue, White?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check valve lash too. That could make the motor turn but not start.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you pos your getting fuel? Are you hearing the fuel pump prime? This is so weird. there has to be something that your missing. Backfiring at all? did you physically look at a sparkplug to check for spark. How did it look. Orange, Blue, White?
Yes, I pulled out all the spark plugs and every single one had gas on it. And yes the fuel pump primes when the key is turned to the ON position, wait for it to prime, then i try to start it each time. And each time nothing. No backfiring. Yes looked at the spark plugs, looks fine, they are brand new and still have no coloration of any sort ... This is very weird indeed. Driving me and my friend nuts. Lol
Old 10-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BEATurBOYS
Check valve lash too. That could make the motor turn but not start.
Good idea, can't hurt to check, thanks.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:03 PM

well take a spark plug out and crank it. make sure the plug is grounded and crank it very shortly. Have a friend look or you look and make sure its sparking. If the plugs are saturated with fuel than your not getting any spark
Old 10-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well take a spark plug out and crank it. make sure the plug is grounded and crank it very shortly. Have a friend look or you look and make sure its sparking. If the plugs are saturated with fuel than your not getting any spark
Did this, took out a spark plug from cylinder #1 and held it over the cylinder head cover, cranked the motor and it sparked. Put it back in, nothing. My other thought was, maybe my ignition coil is bad and the spark isn't strong enough? I'm running out of ideas.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:13 PM

I would do exactly what you said. but the weird thing is that its only doing this after routine maintance. My other sugestion to you would be take the cap off and make sure you didnt but the rotor button on 180* off
Old 10-12-2009, 10:14 PM

try another icm and ignitor
Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would do exactly what you said. but the weird thing is that its only doing this after routine maintance. My other sugestion to you would be take the cap off and make sure you didnt but the rotor button on 180* off
I thought of that too, it being off 180*, is there any way to know? I'm almost positive when the new cap went on the motor was at TDC, but I could be mistaken. I think I'm going to try a new ICM/ Coil and see what happens. I read stories of people driving and going into a shop for 5 mins and they came out and the coil just happened to go bad. Sucks. Thanks for all the input, if you can think of anything else let me know.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for any more ideas....
Old 10-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just recently had the same problem as you. The car would crank but not start. Fuel pump was priming, plugs were getting gas. The car just would not start. It ended up being the ignition coil in the dizzy. Also on a side note, its pretty difficult to get the dizzy 180 degrees out.

Oh, one last thing to try. Jiggle the key as you try and turn the car over. It could be a bad ignition switch.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deuce1
I just recently had the same problem as you. The car would crank but not start. Fuel pump was priming, plugs were getting gas. The car just would not start. It ended up being the ignition coil in the dizzy. Also on a side note, its pretty difficult to get the dizzy 180 degrees out.

Oh, one last thing to try. Jiggle the key as you try and turn the car over. It could be a bad ignition switch.
Thanks for the input going to get a new coil today and see what luck I have.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Please help this guy so I can get his car outta my garage.... It's also his 21st today, so he needs a present!

In all seriousness, I'm at a loss too. All the ideas posted we have pretty much tried. The coil is the only thing that is left really. The head was at TDC when I pulled the dizzy, and at TDC when I reinstalled, so I can't imagine it's off. Keep the ideas coming!
Old 10-13-2009, 06:45 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

If you are absolutely positive that you are getting both fuel and spark, that leaves only compression or timing to be the suspects. Do yourself a favor and get some proper supplies... Get a can of starting fluid (ether) $3.00, a spark tester $6.00, and a compression tester $15.00.

first, loosen the bolts on the distributor and center it on the adjustment. Use the spark tester to confirm that you have spark on each cylinder. If you do, then compression test each cylinder. If compression is good, TRIPLE check the firing order of the wires at the cap. If you have made it this far, you know for a fact that you have proper ignition and compression which leaves only fuel. pull off the intake hose, and while holding the throttle plate open spray starting fluid directly into the manifold. Immediately start the car. The car should run on starting fluid indicating that you are not any or enough fuel during the starting process.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My money is on the ignition coil. I kid you not, my car ran fine, actually AWESOME and all the sudden it would not start. I knew the main relay was good due to hearing the 3 clicks and the fuel pimp priming. I knew I was getting gas because all the plugs smelled like fuel. There is a way to test the coil, but honestly if your friend has the same dizzy or you know someone who does just try their coil in your car. If it starts with the new coil then go buy a new one.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yeah, do a google search of "civic won't start" and see how many end up with a bad coil. Your symptoms are pretty common.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:23 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Originally Posted by Deuce1
My money is on the ignition coil. I kid you not, my car ran fine, actually AWESOME and all the sudden it would not start. I knew the main relay was good due to hearing the 3 clicks and the fuel pimp priming. I knew I was getting gas because all the plugs smelled like fuel. There is a way to test the coil, but honestly if your friend has the same dizzy or you know someone who does just try their coil in your car. If it starts with the new coil then go buy a new one.
he said that he is getting spark... he wouldn't be getting spark with a bad coil. Test, Diagnose, Purchase Parts, and Repair. The last thing you want to do is load up the "parts cannon" and start replacing unnecessary items to see if that makes things better.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by oneludesol
he said that he is getting spark... he wouldn't be getting spark with a bad coil.
A bad coil can produce weak spark. We need to know whether spark is bright white versus weak orange or blue.

OP: If spark is bright white at all four plugs, then check the mechanical timing. The timing belt may have slipped. If the mechanical timing is fine, then compression test the cylinders.

Test, Diagnose, Purchase Parts, and Repair. The last thing you want to do is load up the "parts cannon" and start replacing unnecessary items to see if that makes things better.
I sooo agree.

Quick Reply: *HELP* Stock 1997 Civic D16y8 Motor Won't Start *Searched*