Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

>*D15z1- ebay Headder/pipe question (PIC)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post >*D15z1- ebay Headder/pipe question (PIC)

Hi i was wondering i got a D15z1 VX and will purchase a ebay vx header will it bolt up on my original OEM piping?? need a replacement ASAP.

The ebay header outlet calls for 2" and i dont know if it will fit. how much inches in diameter is the stock one will it bolt on with no problems???

thanks
Attached Images  

Last edited by EG-SIXV-TEC; 01-03-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: >*D15z1- ebay Headder/pipe question (PIC)

should bolt up no problem
Old 01-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it will.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: >*D15z1- ebay Headder/pipe question (PIC)

Originally Posted by DCRB
should bolt up no problem
do i need to worry about the oem vx exhaust pipe connections it looks smaller than 2" idk will it matter it looks less than 2"?
Old 01-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's not a VX header. The VX (like the '92-'95 CX) has a different exhaust manifold that looks nothing like that. This is what the VX manifold looks like:

The cat bolts directly to the bottom of that; it's a weird looking cat.

The stock exhaust size is either 1 3/4" or 1 7/8", I can't remember what I measured it at this summer. But you could probably make it work, since you'll need to buy another flange and have it welded on to the pipe anyways. You may just need to go to a local auto parts store and buy a reducer. Something like 1 7/8" ID at one end, and the 2" at the other end (you'd weld the flange on this end). The piping will also need to be cut and shortened quite a bit as well, because of how it bolts to the cat.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicSpoon
That's not a VX header. The VX (like the '92-'95 CX) has a different exhaust manifold that looks nothing like that. This is what the VX manifold looks like:

The stock exhaust size is either 1 3/4" or 1 7/8", I can't remember what I measured it at this summer. But you could probably make it work, since you'll need to buy another flange and have it welded on to the pipe anyways. You may just need to go to a local auto parts store and buy a reducer. Something like 1 7/8" ID at one end, and the 2" at the other end (you'd weld the flange on this end). The piping will also need to be cut and shortened quite a bit as well, because of how it bolts to the cat.
It will still bolt up fine... You may need to extend wires for your O2 sensor.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea thats not the vx oem one in my pic, but yea i think your picture its the vx oem one same as mines but im planning to get a replacement cheaper whole headder/etc changing the whole 2 oem pieces. Instead of the two oem peices i want to use the full eBay header

if anything will both the ebay header fit directly with the outlet header flange is being 2" to connect to the 7/8" ID

So with the Ebay headder outlet being about 2" and the VX oem exhaust piping being at least 1 3/4" or 1 7/8",i have to Replace/mod the oem flange with the what ever size it is to fit eBay header outlet??

a shop to order from told me that it should just bolt on with no problem and it can bolt up the the stock exhaust flange, i called today but idk????

i dont want to weld and spend more but want to clear things up.
anyone installed ebay headders for vx without problems???
Old 01-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG-SIXV-TEC
So with the Ebay headder outlet being about 2" and the VX oem exhaust piping being at least 1 3/4" or 1 7/8",i have to Replace/mod the oem flange with the what ever size it is to fit eBay header outlet??
NO, IT WILL BOLT UP FINE!!!!!!!

HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO TELL YOU BEFORE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT IT WILL BOLT UP FINE?

IT WILL BOLT UP FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/rage
Old 01-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch
NO, IT WILL BOLT UP FINE!!!!!!!

HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO TELL YOU BEFORE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT IT WILL BOLT UP FINE?

IT WILL BOLT UP FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/rage

Okay thanks

im just got confused to the part u said the bottom part of the exhaust manifold cat one.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay thanks

im just got confused to the part u said the bottom part of the exhaust manifold cat one.
I didnt say anything like that........
Old 01-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch
I didnt say anything like that........
o yea u didn't specifically say that but because i taught i had to weld the oem exhasut piping to connect the Ebay header outlet flange???

but the cat is the bottom portion of the Exhaust manifold of the VX one right! i just got confused with the welding part cat etc....

Sorry i got confused i taught that if the full ebay one w/stock piping had to weld anything

I shouldn't worry bout it then
Old 01-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I shouldn't worry bout it then
Probably not...
Old 01-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The stock VX/CX exhaust IS longer than what that header is made for, so you WILL have to cut some stock piping off. So no, it will NOT bolt right up. But I may have been wrong about having to buy a new flange, you should be able to use your stock one and just turn it to the correct angle, and then have it re-welded on. Since you'll have to remove piping anyways it won't be a problem turned.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The stock VX/CX exhaust IS longer than what that header is made for, so you WILL have to cut some stock piping off. So no, it will NOT bolt right up. But I may have been wrong about having to buy a new flange, you should be able to use your stock one and just turn it to the correct angle, and then have it re-welded on. Since you'll have to remove piping anyways it won't be a problem turned.
so basically the whole headder itself wont fit because the exhaust is longer???
will it bolt right up to the flange itself??
Old 01-03-2010, 08:01 PM
New User

bummmmp
Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so basically the whole headder itself wont fit because the exhaust is longer???
will it bolt right up to the flange itself??
As a simply bolt-on part, no it won't work. If you want a perfect straight bolt-on part, then you need to get an OEM VX/CX manifold and cat.

HOWEVER, you can MAKE it work. This issue you're dealing with is the fact that the exhaust on the VX/CX is a little longer, so you're going to have to fix that issue. Here is what you do to fix it.

- You cut the flange off your exhaust, leaving at least 2-3 inches of piping on it. Bolt that flange to your new header, and install the header on the engine. This will just be a test fit so you'll know how much to shorten the exhaust pipe, it will also show you the angle that the flange needs to be set at, so it lines up properly. Don't bother installing the donut gasket during the test fit, so you don't damage it. Then you have to cut off the excess piping so it's the correct length. While you're mocking it up, you'll quickly find out if the stock flange will work for your application, or if you need to buy a new one (remember that the gasket needs to fit in there too!).

- Now you will need to re-secure the flange (that has the 2-3 extra inches on it) to the exhaust pipe. Here are 2 simple options to get this done. #1 is to have the flange re-welded onto the exhaust pipe that has now been shortened. #2 is to go to a local auto parts store and buy a metal "coupler" that will slip over the exhaust pipe and the piping left attached to the flange, and get 2 exhaust clamps to hold it on there. Option #2 is an easy way to do it if you don't have a welder, and/or if you don't want someone else to do it for you.

Basically, with ALL aftermarket parts, fabrication is needed. I honestly don't know how to explain it any better than that.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As a simply bolt-on part, no it won't work. If you want a perfect straight bolt-on part, then you need to get an OEM VX/CX manifold and cat.

HOWEVER, you can MAKE it work. This issue you're dealing with is the fact that the exhaust on the VX/CX is a little longer, so you're going to have to fix that issue. Here is what you do to fix it.

- You cut the flange off your exhaust, leaving at least 2-3 inches of piping on it. Bolt that flange to your new header, and install the header on the engine. This will just be a test fit so you'll know how much to shorten the exhaust pipe, it will also show you the angle that the flange needs to be set at, so it lines up properly. Don't bother installing the donut gasket during the test fit, so you don't damage it. Then you have to cut off the excess piping so it's the correct length. While you're mocking it up, you'll quickly find out if the stock flange will work for your application, or if you need to buy a new one (remember that the gasket needs to fit in there too!).

- Now you will need to re-secure the flange (that has the 2-3 extra inches on it) to the exhaust pipe. Here are 2 simple options to get this done. #1 is to have the flange re-welded onto the exhaust pipe that has now been shortened. #2 is to go to a local auto parts store and buy a metal "coupler" that will slip over the exhaust pipe and the piping left attached to the flange, and get 2 exhaust clamps to hold it on there. Option #2 is an easy way to do it if you don't have a welder, and/or if you don't want someone else to do it for you.

Basically, with ALL aftermarket parts, fabrication is needed. I honestly don't know how to explain it any better than that.

o okay thanks