Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

*another* what should i get question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *another* what should i get question

i want torque (but i have a honda).

basically, i want to have significalntly more low end torque in my coupe, for daily driving. here are the limitations, requirements:
-want to stay as stock/sleeper looking as possible because of theft (no loud exhausts, etc)
-not looking to set any records, just a nice upgrade in lower end pickup; dont want/need 200whp
-not too expensive..say less than 2g's
-right now my d has 155K
-relatively reliable and DD'able
-something that will let me get up hills briskly without having to redline it

im looking for input from people who own or have worked with turbo D's, b20 swaps, h22s maybe...etc. not looking for useless/off topic comments. flame if you feel you need to, but make sure its CONSTRUCTIVE. lets not turn this into a measuring contest.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:10 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

B20B, GSR transmission, LS intake manifold, LS exhaust manifold. Sounds stock, looks stock, good low end.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B20B, GSR transmission, LS intake manifold, LS exhaust manifold. Sounds stock, looks stock, good low end.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hella more money than $2k.

The answer to every question in life that you can ask yourself starts with "B" and ends with "oost"

Some more inexpensive Greddy turbo kits sellers have theirs for less than $2k brand new, but you have to look hard. They're on this very website.

Hell, depending on what bottom end you have, you can create a mini-me.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:49 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (FuNkDrSpOt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hella more money than $2k.</TD></TR></TABLE>

B20B - $600
LS Manifolds - $100
GSR Tranny - $600
Swap Goodies (ecu/harness/axles/halfshaft/whatever) - $250

You're under $2k even if you pay someone to put it in.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about the same setup with LS tranny...would the gearing be too tall?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:46 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (SoullessJapaneseMachine)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoullessJapaneseMachine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about the same setup with LS tranny...would the gearing be too tall?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really, just less acceleration. Better economy tho.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u could do a b18b for fairly cheap, and possibly throw a b16 tranny on it and you will deff get what u want+some bolt ons. and u should make it money wise just fine. and incase u do run into any bumps in the road. (dont know what ur doing and end up taking it to a mechanic) u should but good money wise.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

B20B - $600
LS Manifolds - $100
GSR Tranny - $600
Swap Goodies (ecu/harness/axles/halfshaft/whatever) - $250

You're under $2k even if you pay someone to put it in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ill agree with the B20, the LS IM and the Gsr tranny, but the avg price of the swap goodies is a lot higher

ecu - $100
harness - $100
axles - $120
Mounts - $150
Maintenance: most people forget that you probably want to do maintenance on parts you buy because you don't know the quality or condition the wear-parts are in, whereas you do with your own stuff. Wear parts in this situation would be:

clutch - $200
plugs & wires - $100
dizzy cap & rotor - $40
oil/water pumps - $120
belts & tensioners - $140
------------------------------------------
Total $2,370 not including tax or shipping.

You can find parts for cheaper than I've mentioned but that's the average around here for decent quality (gently used ) parts.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FuNkDrSpOt)

if you've got $2k, i vote a gsr swap and call it a day.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tatakai)

im not that impressed with the gsr's tq curve...i was thinking something 2.0L +

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hella more money than $2k.

The answer to every question in life that you can ask yourself starts with "B" and ends with "oost"
</TD></TR></TABLE>

this seems like a good idea money wise, but how stock sounding can a turbo civic be? also mileage is a concern...i'll see what compression/leakdown looks like and take it from there

btw...FuNkDrSpOt = great seller
Old 12-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low/mid torque = H23
Old 12-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SoullessJapaneseMachine)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoullessJapaneseMachine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not that impressed with the gsr's tq curve...i was thinking something 2.0L +

this seems like a good idea money wise, but how stock sounding can a turbo civic be? also mileage is a concern...i'll see what compression/leakdown looks like and take it from there

btw...FuNkDrSpOt = great seller </TD></TR></TABLE>

I highly doubt you're going to do a full GSR swap for under $2k, considering that whole list of parts listed above. An H swap is definitely going to run you more than $2k, ALSO considering the parts you'd need.

And any modification you do to get more power is not going to sound stock, so you can pick one or the other. An H or a B is going to be louder than a D, especially higher in the RPM range when you hit crossover. You could go with a small turbo and a quiet blowoff valve, but you'll still hear the spool. You could go with a JR supercharger but you'll hear the blower whine in the mid-high range.

I'd also like to clear something up. Boost does not necessarily mean worse gas mileage either... stock 6 psi boost on a JRSC kit, for example, will allow you go get more torque from a dead stop so essentially you don't need to floor it like you used to and hence the injectors will not be running as high a duty cycle. In turn, this could mean equal or even better gas mileage. It's the DRIVERS that ruin the gas mileage, since driving with boost can be so damn much fun...

I know I'm guilty of it... avg 25 MPG with stock injectors on a supercharged D16Y8, but it was worth it
Old 12-04-2006, 10:56 PM

Default Re: (EKcivicEX)

if ur just going use it sometimes or going up the hill just throw in a nos kit. haha jk

i dont recommend getting a swap if ur going to be low on money.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i would say save a little more and look for a good deal on a gsr swap, thats what i would do. If your too eager to do the swap, and want some torque go with a LS swap. i personally wouldn't do it but i think a LS swap would somewhat fill your needs. you can find them cheap, either with a tranny or not you can always go with a b16 tranny and go from there.