Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

**Need Help** I'm changing my distributor and want to my sure the timing is correct

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Need Help** I'm changing my distributor and want to my sure the timing is correct

I have a 96 civic ex, I'm changing my distributor and want to my sure the timing is correct. I used the search already, but didn't help. How do I check to make sure the timing is correct? I have a timing gun already.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: **Need Help** I'm changing my distributor and want to my sure the timing is correct (fresno_si)

It's been awhile since I ever messed with the distributor. Just put your new distributor in the same way as the one you're taking out. If you already took your old one out and forgot how it went in, you're going to have to set the number one piston at Top dead center.

To do so, you're going to need a deep 17mm socket and ratchet(sp). An extension will help if needed. on the crank shaft side, there is a nut holding the crankshaft pulley, you're going to slowly turn the crankshaft till the number one is at TDC(top dead center).

Pull the number one spark plug out and look thru to see if the piston is all the way to the top. You might need a light to see. Other method is to stick a long screwdriver into the cylinder and you'll know that it's at the very top of it's travel when the screwdriver is all the way out. Be careful when doing this method to not knick or damage the surface of the piston.

If you look on the driver side where th crank pulley is, you'll see tick marks on it. The farthest one on the right is Top dead center. Line that up with the arrow/pointer.

On the distributor, the rotor should be pointing at number one firing order. Install the dizzy. Do not fully tighten down the 3 bolts holding the dizzy You're going to have to adjust ignition timing. Reinstall the spark plug and wire.

Hook up your timing gun to your battery, and the clip to the number one spark plug wire. Turn your car on and pray it doesn't blow up. Hahaha You're going to have to wait till the engine reaches operating temperature. You scan speed up the process by driving it around or just wait. Squeeze the trigger of the gun and point it straight down at the arrow point to the tick marks on the crank pulley. I'm not sure what the timing setting is. I think it's like 16* BTDC (before top dead center) but do refer to the what the engine specifies. The Gun will flash evertime there is a spark to the number one plug. holding the trigger, look down at the crank shaft pulley and see if it's pointing at the specified setting/degree. I don't remember the what degree the tick marks are so someone will have to jump in here.

I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it but if it isn't PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE CLARIFY THIS **** FOR THE SAKE OF OTHERS AND MYSELF
Old 11-19-2004, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: **Need Help** I'm changing my distributor and want to my sure the timing is correct (Cuong-nutz

I can clarify. On your timing cover, around the area of the alternator belt, is a tooth coming out of the plasic. It is accompanied my a gear right above it. Not a gear like a cam but similar to this ^^ and the tooth should fall between like so ^I^
Sorry if that confuses you more, but just look, you will see where these two things stick out if you look near that belt, and close to the mount. With that said, the motor does not need to be at TDC. The camshaft is staggard, so the tooth on the dizzy will only go into the cam one way. Its the same way on b series. If the dizzy pops in, but there is a gap on one side, spin the tooth 180 degrees, and try again, should slip in fairly easily. If you look directly at the tooth, you will see that it is offset, its made that way so the motor does not have to be pulled to TDC. Now, on the crank pulley, there are a total of 4 indents, three grouped together, usally marked with red ink,and one lonesome, usually white. Put your dizzy on, snug the bolts, but still loose enough so you can adjust it, and install your light. Start the car, and aim the light above that tooth I told you about to begin with. Look directly down so the tooth lines up between the "gears" You will then look for the WHITE inked indent and line that up with the tooth and "gears" THat white mark indicates 16 degrees BTDC, and thats stock setting. That should be it. I have to do it daily, it may take a little while to understand it, but a manual will give you pics too, so I suggest a Haynes or Chiltons. Am i forgeting anything?