Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

**DIY** Dupicolor Interior dye how-to and review.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **DIY** Dupicolor Interior dye how-to and review.

Ever since I had my Integra, I've had quite a love for black interiors. Unfortunately my Del Sol came with Grey accents around the door panels, speaker covers, and rear trim pieces. I could go buy the 96-97 ones that come black, but I heard a few good things about this paint, and figured I'd give it a try.

Parts List:
-Interior part
-Rubbing alcohol
-Dupicolor Fabric and Vinyl paint.
-3M Automotive masking tape
-Old newspaper

This is the door panel I intend to paint. They grey part is the part I intend to turn black with this dye.

First things first. I want to paint just the grey area, so I need to mask off the rest of the panel. It is extremely important that you take your time doing this. If you rush through this, you'll have paint in places you didn't want, and it will look like garbage. . I went to the extent of pushing the tape down in the crevices of the panel so I could be exactly on with my lines.

It's also a good idea to go in small strides with this tape. Rather then making relief cuts along the tape, I just used small sections.

After everything is masked down to the nitty-gritty, it should look something like this. Doesn't look like much, but this took some time. I went slow and made sure everything was no less then perfect.

Now that we got all the lines set, we need to protect the rest of the panel from potential over-spray. The easiest way to do this is with an old news paper. When you put the paper on the panel, make sure there are no holes where you can see the panel. If you can see even a little bit, tape it up!

Now, take that rubbing alcohol, and rub the area you plan on painting. This will remove all the dirt, oil, grease, grime, ect. that you DON'T want under your paint. Make sure you allow sufficient time for the rubbing alcohol to dry. It does dry quick, but if you rush, and it's not completely dry, the paint will run and look like crap.

After everything is all dry, its time to paint. Make sure you hold the can at least 8 inches from the panel, and then spray. Apply smooth, even, and light coats. If you lay it on there heavy it will run. This picture was take when wet, so it looks shiny. When it dries, it has a slighty duller look.

After doing the first panel, I was impressed, so I continued on to finish the job with the rest of the interior.

<U>My Review: (10/10)</U>

To be completely honest, I wasn't planning on this working all that well. Seeing as it is spray paint, the quality just didn't seem like it'd be there. Upon completing my first door panel, I was extremely impressed! The paint look just like stock. You can barely tell that the panel was spray painted because it matches the finish of the stock vinyl. As far as the longevity of the product, I do not know yet. I just went downstairs and scratched the panel with my fingernail (painted one hour ago), and it didn't chip, scratch, ect. so it's looking good thus far. This project was very easy, and looks great. I would recommend it to anyone who has considered it as an option! AWESOME PRODUCT!

Hope this helped everyone!
Old 03-23-2007, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: **DIY** Dupicolor Interior dye how-to and review. (93eg2james)

aslong as your happy... i would never spray paint my interior. in the end you will see that the added heat during daily life routine and time it will chip right off leaving you with interior you wont be able to sell or otherwise use except spraying again.

not a flame... like i said if your happy for you.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **DIY** Dupicolor Interior dye how-to and review. (cxSHOE)

i used this product the past week as well, it worked great for my self and i know from a friends use that it will stand up he has used it as well and no chips or wear showing on it yet, and that is over a year ago now. Excellent product in my opinion just have to take your time when using it. Not so much a spray paint as much as it is a plastic/fabric/vinyl dye. Another product to use is SEM bit more pricey but also a very good product (professionals use it all the time)
Old 03-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **DIY** Dupicolor Interior dye how-to and review. (gwegcivic)

where does SEM sell?
Old 03-24-2007, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My stock black seats have faded and look blue now, can I use this product to dye them back to black, does anyone have any experience with this?
Old 03-24-2007, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AntiochOG)

i have used this on my seats as well, it does work but it will rub off with wear. For seats you are better to have them either recovered or get some integra seats. It will look much better and last a lot longer, you might even be able to do the rear seats your self. I know they are not hard to take the fabric off and put back. you could probably take just the fabric into a shop and have them copy the pattern and it will save a bit of money.

You can get SEM at most body shop supply stores as well as many sites off the net. Personally i like to get supplies locally so look around. If you ever watch the tv show unique whips this is the same product they they use when they do color change to the interiors of the cars.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did the same to my sol but just the pillar and roof pieces. non of the vinyls. i used like walmart $1.00 spray paint and till this day it looks the same and damn good almost 5 years, and that aint no BS. its all in the prep
Old 03-24-2007, 07:56 AM

Default Re: **DIY** Dupicolor Interior dye how-to and review. (postman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by postman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did the same to my sol but just the pillar and roof pieces. non of the vinyls. i used like walmart $1.00 spray paint and till this day it looks the same and damn good almost 5 years, and that aint no BS. its all in the prep</TD></TR></TABLE>
i wouldnt use spray paint it looks cheap but the dye keeps the oem look and its not all shinny like spray paint did a tan civic interior to black..
Old 03-24-2007, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">aslong as your happy... i would never spray paint my interior. in the end you will see that the added heat during daily life routine and time it will chip right off leaving you with interior you wont be able to sell or otherwise use except spraying again.

not a flame... like i said if your happy for you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's all in the prep work man. I had to use a similar product while building my EH because there was not a black interior for sale on the east coast. Scotchbrite, prepall, and a LOT of time. It looks like it's stock and holds up as good as stock. Nice and clean and take to armorall like a champ.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a friend who sprayed his vinyl seats in his old jeep with this stuff. It looked great and it held up perfect for a couple years until he sold it. Door panels don't see a lot of wear, so I would imagine this stuff would hold up well there.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (jibs)

does it say anything on the can of the paint bout it being resistant to UV rays n stuff?
Old 03-24-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: (mormonboy)

Yes it did.

Just finished installing them into my car. They look great. Going to go get batteries for my camera so I can take pics!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay_Sensing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's all in the prep work man. I had to use a similar product while building my EH because there was not a black interior for sale on the east coast. Scotchbrite, prepall, and a LOT of time. It looks like it's stock and holds up as good as stock. Nice and clean and take to armorall like a champ. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hes completely right. I've painted a few cars, and something you learn right away is that the paint will only look as good as the prep work. I spent a lot of time preping theses prior tp paint. I'm very happy with the results! Looks soo good!
Old 03-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **DIY** Dupicolor Interior dye how-to and review. (Jay_Sensing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay_Sensing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's all in the prep work man. I had to use a similar product while building my EH because there was not a black interior for sale on the east coast. Scotchbrite, prepall, and a LOT of time. It looks like it's stock and holds up as good as stock. Nice and clean and take to armorall like a champ. </TD></TR></TABLE>

any step by step info? Thinking about spraying my dash and door panels black. Do i have to use primer? why the scotchbrite
Old 03-25-2007, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **DIY** Dupicolor Interior dye how-to and review. (realis9)

clean it with a scotchbrite pad because it gets into all the cracks and bumps that the parts have, cleans them all out. When i painted mine i just cleaned the parts with a rubbing alchol, it worked out great for me, both times i did it.... stupid ricer phase. If you are going to be using either the duplicolor or the sem i wouldnt use any primer due to it hindering the adhersion of the dye. They arent so much a paint, more of a dye, so they have be able to soak into the plastic/vinyl. Primer will seal this and not allow it to happen.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:45 PM

Hey, what SEM product was it? Trim paint? I'm buying the vinyl prep cause it says it helps to soften it so the dye sets in well. I want to do my dash since I can find an Si or EX dark dash. But anyways, I just want to make sure I order the right product from SEM.

-Nick
Old 03-28-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Re: (2000EK9)

Heres a few days later.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: (93eg2james)

where do you get this interior dye from????
Old 03-28-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: (1baddc5)

Autozone. $6.00
Old 03-28-2007, 07:48 PM

kool deal man my interior on my eg is that rotten *** blue color and im wanting to dye it so i think im going to give it a whirl thanks alot
Old 03-28-2007, 07:49 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need some new door handles...
Old 03-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **DIY** Dupicolor Interior dye how-to and review. (93eg2james)

looks good man, imma try to do this to my headliner.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:18 AM

Default Re: (Eran)

Yes I do. I'm saving so I can get them as well as the map lights at the same time.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:37 AM

Thats the best looking interior paint/dye job I've seen so far. Nice work man!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Forty04)

Looks really good!

Quick question tho, where did you get your door arm rest holders at? Mine are wrinkled and ripped.

Home made? Looks good..
Old 03-29-2007, 08:56 AM

In the last pic, which pieces were painted/dyed? I cant really tell.

Looks good

Quick Reply: **DIY** Dupicolor Interior dye how-to and review.