Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

***Turbo d16y8 project injector help***

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Turbo d16y8 project injector help***

alright i couldnt find anything but im sure there is something out there. anyways can i use my stock injectors on my d16y8, im going to be running 8psi on crome. if there is already a thread, could u just post up the link please?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***Turbo d16y8 project injector help***

oh yea power goal is 180-200hp
Old 04-19-2009, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no way will your stock 240cc injectors be able to handle it. If you want to stay within a budget go with the DSM 450's with the resister box. can generally find them for like $100-150 or so on craigslist or your local car forums. Or find a DSM'er who is lookin to upgrade and just ask for his old injectors.

however, depending on the size of your turbo 8psi should be adequate for your power goals and still be daily driveable and get pretty good MPG's still.

I'm not so sure about Chrome, havent really heard much about it other than my local tuner refuses to turn any cars on it. not sure why that is...probably crap. he tunes on NepTune for honda's mostly, or HonData S300.

How many miles are on the motor? If it's more than 80k or so you might wanna do a rebuild before you boost just to be on the safe side.

btw, you're probably gonna want a better fuel pump as well as injectors, you can get Walbro 255's from one of the sponsers for like $80 shipped or something like that.
http://shopping.lightningmotorsports.com/
Old 04-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i actually have 440 cc injectors already i was just seeing if i needed them or not. so i need a resistor box too? im surprised that u say 80k or higher because my brothers first turbo project was a d15b7 on 6psi with over 165k on it, and it ran great. i know its actually a bad motor to turbo in general. and now that i think of it it had stock injectors and fuel pump runnin an fmu lol. and a lot of people have crome where i live.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Chrome isn't too bad for a low boost application. Not the best, but it does the job. As far as the resistor box I THINK its just for the DSM injectors that you need it. The rebuild is recommended as a safety thing for any car. Its especially recommended for a car with high miles, as the seals, tubing, and gaskets obviously wear out over time. Some people can get away with it if its a low boost app or if their car is just well taken care of, at least for a while. I agree with Nightcat as well about the fuel pump. You definitely don't want fuel delivery problems.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:17 PM

ive got a turboed d16y7 putting out around 200whp, and the DSM 440 injectors work fine, also have a Walbro fuel pump.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're on a budget and only looking for 180-200whp, DSM 450s will be fine. They're cheap and easy to find. A set of those will provide enough fuel for your goals and give you room to grow...also a Walbro 255lph is a great investment. It probably isnt 100% necessary, but for $100, it's worth the upgrade
Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 PM
koa
Honda-Tech Member

you dont need a rebuild with 85k miles. MY d16z6 was turboed with 86 and i put 50k on it in 2 years, still going strong.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bwill9886
Yeah Chrome isn't too bad for a low boost application. Not the best, but it does the job. As far as the resistor box I THINK its just for the DSM injectors that you need it. The rebuild is recommended as a safety thing for any car. Its especially recommended for a car with high miles, as the seals, tubing, and gaskets obviously wear out over time. Some people can get away with it if its a low boost app or if their car is just well taken care of, at least for a while. I agree with Nightcat as well about the fuel pump. You definitely don't want fuel delivery problems.
well i put a new clutch in my car along with a new rear main seal and oil pan gasket(both where leaking). i also put a new timing belt, water pump, arp head studs, and fuel filter in. the motor runs really strong, and i got the car all stock with no signs of being beaten up
.so i plan on leaving it. obviously crome isnt the best but a lot of people use it and make awsome power, people on honda-tech dont seem to know much about crome or somethin, u guys keep spelling it wrong too,lol.

Originally Posted by Schister66
If you're on a budget and only looking for 180-200whp, DSM 450s will be fine. They're cheap and easy to find. A set of those will provide enough fuel for your goals and give you room to grow...also a Walbro 255lph is a great investment. It probably isnt 100% necessary, but for $100, it's worth the upgrade
im not planning on growing but, I already have a set of 440cc dsm injectors.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1999 Civic Si..I Hear a Clunking Noise From Engine What is the problem?
its clunk clunk all day...it seems like there is no oil but there is.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by flowmaniacscrew

R u F***in serious u @$$hole threadjacker!!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flowmaniacscrew
Wow, yeah no threadjacking please. Anyway, back to jhondas thread. Yeah, I just realized I spelled it wrong (Old habit, my bad). I will admit I don't know a lot about it, but I have talked to one or two people who use it and they make decent power. One had a GSR with the full Turbonetics kit on it and she was quick. I'd go for it if I was building a sub 10 psi car.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you plan to keep it on low boost, I suppose that sort set-up would be alright. 440's if the DSM ones I do believe you need the resister box, maybe someone who knows for sure can correct me if Im wrong.

the fuel pump..yea..you dont NEED it, but for the cost and the benefits, its probably worth it or atleast I think so. You wouldnt wanna pull more than 75% duty on or stock one anyways. could burn it out and just...could be bad. $100 is chump change compared to all the other parts to boost.

Crome...I'm just not a fan, Ive never personally tuned on it. Just dont like it, a lot of professional tuners that I know think its a cheap alternative to a proper EMS, yet Im not saying go out and spend $1200 on an AEM EMS cause thats just over kill in my opinion. However, Ive had good Experience with NepTune and friends have had great results on HonData S300.

Good luck with the build though, be sure to post up some pics later on once its all said and done. any complications along the way.

as far as mileage goes...its a safety thing for me. Once I rip a motor apart, I only want to take it apart for 2 reasons, 1 is to upgrade, the other is to replace gaskets due to wear. I really dont wanna be tearin into my motor to replace stuff cause it broke. I just like to play it safe and no risk anything. Reliable power is always better to me. Anyone can crank up boost and throw down some stupidly high Dyno Numbers, but if you cant do it safely an constantly..whats the point.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NightCat
If you plan to keep it on low boost, I suppose that sort set-up would be alright. 440's if the DSM ones I do believe you need the resister box, maybe someone who knows for sure can correct me if Im wrong.

the fuel pump..yea..you dont NEED it, but for the cost and the benefits, its probably worth it or atleast I think so. You wouldnt wanna pull more than 75% duty on or stock one anyways. could burn it out and just...could be bad. $100 is chump change compared to all the other parts to boost.

Crome...I'm just not a fan, Ive never personally tuned on it. Just dont like it, a lot of professional tuners that I know think its a cheap alternative to a proper EMS, yet Im not saying go out and spend $1200 on an AEM EMS cause thats just over kill in my opinion. However, Ive had good Experience with NepTune and friends have had great results on HonData S300.

Good luck with the build though, be sure to post up some pics later on once its all said and done. any complications along the way.

as far as mileage goes...its a safety thing for me. Once I rip a motor apart, I only want to take it apart for 2 reasons, 1 is to upgrade, the other is to replace gaskets due to wear. I really dont wanna be tearin into my motor to replace stuff cause it broke. I just like to play it safe and no risk anything. Reliable power is always better to me. Anyone can crank up boost and throw down some stupidly high Dyno Numbers, but if you cant do it safely an constantly..whats the point.
that why i plan on running on just 8 pounds of boost. im not going to push the motor anymore because on high mileage.whaterver i get out of 8psi is staying, as long as its at least 180whp.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jhonda239
i actually have 440 cc injectors already i was just seeing if i needed them or not. so i need a resistor box too? im surprised that u say 80k or higher because my brothers first turbo project was a d15b7 on 6psi with over 165k on it, and it ran great. i know its actually a bad motor to turbo in general. and now that i think of it it had stock injectors and fuel pump runnin an fmu lol. and a lot of people have crome where i live.
if you already have the 440cc injectors use them better safe then sorry fuel delivery is very important when boosting.