Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

***Swap question Z6 into a CX***

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:25 AM
Foreign Symbols

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Swap question Z6 into a CX***

I checked FAQ and just wanted to run this by you guys real quick as I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I swap.

I currently have a 1992 Civic CX, STOCK.

I also just aquired a 1993 Del Sol Si with the D16Z6.

I understand I have to swap the harness, ecu, motor, trans, half shafts out of the Sol into the CX.

BUT, my question is will the half shafts from the Sol slide right into the CX hubs? Are they splined the same? Is this swap really that easy?

I was also curious about the front brakes, they look VERY close to the same, but I believe the Sol brakes are a little bit bigger, is this true? If they are a tad bigger, can I just swap the caliper, bracket, and rotor to convert it, or would I need to change the whole knuckle?

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:41 AM
Foreign Symbols

Default Re: ***Swap question Z6 into a CX*** (juevi)

I have to learn to title my threads better, only 1 person even LOOKED at this. Bump for some answers.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wanna say since its a d-series that you dont need to swap the half shafts but i really dont know.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:11 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (big-cat)

Basically just the motor and trans. With a swap like that, i'd just swap the z6 tranny in to the existing motor, then just put on the longblock.

All those d-series parts are interchangeable, just swap the motor/trans and the ecu i, wire it up, and you should be good to go. Mounts are all the same. All d-series hydro half-shafts are compatible.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:19 AM
Foreign Symbols

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Basically just the motor and trans. With a swap like that, i'd just swap the z6 tranny in to the existing motor, then just put on the longblock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya, I was just going to take the motor and tranny out in one peice and plop it in the CX. I wanted to use the Sol shafts because my currant shafts click like a chain smokers lighter.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All those d-series parts are interchangeable, just swap the motor/trans and the ecu i, wire it up, and you should be good to go. Mounts are all the same. All d-series hydro half-shafts are compatible. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are the CX and SOl Si hubs splined the same do you know. I THINK they are but wasn't sure on that.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:21 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (juevi)

The axles are the same size, I couldn't imagine them being different.

If your current shafts are worn, replace them.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

the si sol should have a bigger front brake system on it and also have rear disc. So if your cx hasn't had the rear converted to disc here is your chance. If I remember correctly the front knuckles need to be swapped over. and it will all just bolt right up to your cx. for the rear brakes change over the master cylinder proportioning valve, rear trailing arm assy, with brake lines and ebrake cables. Its really not that hard just takes a bit of time
Old 06-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Foreign Symbols

Default Re: (instructor74)

It DOES have rear disc, but think I might put that on my 2000 EX Coupe instead of my beater CX. Haven't decided for sure yet.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:48 AM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by juevi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
BUT, my question is will the half shafts from the Sol slide right into the CX hubs? Are they splined the same? Is this swap really that easy?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean the axles into the hub right? Yeah they'll fit fine.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by juevi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was also curious about the front brakes, they look VERY close to the same, but I believe the Sol brakes are a little bit bigger, is this true? If they are a tad bigger, can I just swap the caliper, bracket, and rotor to convert it, or would I need to change the whole knuckle?

Thanks for your help guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure the Sol Si is like the equivalance to a Civic EX, so the front rotors/calipers are most likely bigger than a CX
Old 06-29-2007, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by juevi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was also curious about the front brakes, they look VERY close to the same, but I believe the Sol brakes are a little bit bigger, is this true? If they are a tad bigger, can I just swap the caliper, bracket, and rotor to convert it, or would I need to change the whole knuckle?

Thanks for your help guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In terms of diameter of brake rotors...the Del Sol brakes are slightly larger. Have you considered of just upgrading to Type R suspension? or just Gs-R suspension?
Old 06-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Foreign Symbols

Default Re: ***Swap question Z6 into a CX*** (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You mean the axles into the hub right? Yeah they'll fit fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool thanks man.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm pretty sure the Sol Si is like the equivalance to a Civic EX, so the front rotors/calipers are most likely bigger than a CX</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya, that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I would swap them except for the fact that one of the SOL's hub is waisted, so for now just wanted to bolt the motor/tranny/shafts from the sol right into my car and not spend any money.

Hoping this thing runs pretty good when I'm done, it SHOULD go smooth *crosses fingers*
Old 06-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Foreign Symbols

Default Re: ***Swap question Z6 into a CX*** (Damon Reeves)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In terms of diameter of brake rotors...the Del Sol brakes are slightly larger. Have you considered of just upgrading to Type R suspension? or just Gs-R suspension?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya, but right now I'm broke and have a lot of other stuff going on. What happened is I just bought this CX for our second car as the wife and I were down to one.

I got the SOL VERY cheap (not stolen, have title ) and in theory should make my money out of the parts I'm not using in a week or two. So, in turn, should have got the intire swap for free, that is my goal.

So at the moment not looking to do much with the brakes and stuff because I don't want to spend any more cash.