Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

***Looking for part name or number***

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Looking for part name or number***

Hey

I was replacing the o ring on my distributor today and when i was putting the distributor back in I didn't align it right and went to tighten it down and cracked the top threaded hole for the bolt. Its a piece that connects right next to the valve cover. Here is a picture. The part is circled in red.

Is this part replaceable? It looks like the two 10mm bolts just need to be removed then swapped for a new one. Is that correct and can anyone give me a part number/name for this?

Its on a 1998 Civic Ex
Old 03-21-2011, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ***Looking for part name or number***

Right end bearing cap or right end camshaft holder or #6 camshaft holder or similar.

I do not see it sold separately at online OEM parts stores like www.bkhondaparts.com .

I think a U-Pull-It junkyard would be your best bet. A lot of junkyards may not be wild about selling this separately unless say the cylinder head has other damage and they are piecing the head out. Look up the procedure for rocker arm replacement to replace it. For a newbie, it is a bit involved so follow the manual. I think the camshaft's balance can be thrown off if you do not follow the procedure for rocker arm replacement. The holddown bolts have a certain torque sequence.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:58 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ***Looking for part name or number***

Camshaft holders (and main girdle/caps, whatever you want to call them) aren't sold seperately because they are machined with their corresponding part (in your case the head). This is done so that there is no "step" or ridge where the two pieces join. If there is a step it'll damage the cam journal that sits in there. You can try one from the junkyard but to do it properly you'd need to have the camshaft seat align-bored which is pricey. It's up to you though.