Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

***Help with decision on head gasket problem***

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Help with decision on head gasket problem***

Hey

Just barely did my timing belt/water pump/tensioner along with a bunch of gaskets on my 92 Civic Hatch (d15b bottom end/non vtec head) and come to discover I still had a leak. Turns out it's my head gasket. Now the leak is just oil I believe its just minor because its been there since I got the car and i have loaded 25k miles on it without any mixing problems or overheating issues.

SOOO. Question is....Should I pull the head and just replace the gasket and would everything be alright or should I go to more desperate measures such as decking the head and block? Or should I just swap the motor for like a d16.

The main concerns are money downtime and the fact I just replaced a lot of **** on this motor to junk it. So replacing the gasket would be an easy weekend job. The decking of the head and such gives me a bunch of downtime. Or I could swap in a new motor but that's money and quite a bit more time and I would want to replace a lot of stuff at once. I am just really frustrated at this point and looking for the best/cheapest/fastest fix. I don't do hack jobs on my car but realize I have time/money budgets.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: ***Help with decision on head gasket problem*** (headrec*)

Its all up to you and how much oil it leaks, my old corolla use to leak oil from the head but it wasn't bad so I just left it like that. If you want to pull the head you don't neciserally have to deck the head, look at the gasket and see if the gasket is at fault of the leak or if the head has a crack or something. Usually when the leak oil to the exterior of the motor its just the gasket but you can take it to a machine shop for them to check everything out.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***Help with decision on head gasket problem*** (ejoner)

Sweet thanks man. I wouldn't care a whole lot but it might be leaking to the timing belt side. I had a bunch of oil over there when doing the belt but I figured it was the front case-oil pump seal leaking so I just replaced that think that was it. I was thinking replace the gasket and hope for the best. If it starts to leak again I was going to just save up for a different motor or something.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***Help with decision on head gasket problem*** (headrec*)

Anyone else have a different opinion or agree with the other guy????