Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

***Camber Question! YES... CAMBER***

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Camber Question! YES... CAMBER***

So chiggity check it... I need to know what set up yields more camber? OEM or the use of a kit?
Like if a camber kit is all the way turn't in or completely negated will it ultimately yield more camber than OE components? Or would OE components give Max Camber with aid of lowering?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ***Camber Question! YES... CAMBER***

So... we gots no one?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure more people would answer if they could read what you are trying to ask. If what you are trying to ask is what will give more camber adjustment then yes, and aftermarket kit will give you more adjustment.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you lower your car without a kit, it will give you negative camber. In my (limited) experience, it's about -1 degree per inch that it's lowered. With an adjustable kit, you can do just that, ADJUST it to the setting you prefer.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D Griff
If you lower your car without a kit, it will give you negative camber. In my (limited) experience, it's about -1 degree per inch that it's lowered. With an adjustable kit, you can do just that, ADJUST it to the setting you prefer.
this man is correct i didnt understand much of what you said but yea i think
this is what u asked....and he's correct
Old 02-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97twodoor
I'm sure more people would answer if they could read what you are trying to ask. If what you are trying to ask is what will give more camber adjustment then yes, and aftermarket kit will give you more adjustment.
lol. I'm sorry bro. i thought i expressed myself in the most coherent manner possible.

"I need to know what set up yields more camber?" = How to get more camber? OE or Aftermarket?

I guess i could see how my use of outside the box words could be confusing. My B!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so you're trying to get the more negative camber? i would just leave the stock components intact and drop it then. if you install an adjustable uca for example and run even more camber you will find your car seriously eating up tires.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dirty Octopus
lol. I'm sorry bro. i thought i expressed myself in the most coherent manner possible.

"I need to know what set up yields more camber?" = How to get more camber? OE or Aftermarket?

I guess i could see how my use of outside the box words could be confusing. My B!
Hey no worries man. Now when you say more camber (+ camber) you are saying that you want the top of your wheels to be out at the top just so you realize. Less camber (- camber) is more desirable because of the increased handling. If you plan on lowering your vehicle then you could leave everything as is and gain - camber but have no adjustability. If you go with a kit then you will have lots of room to adjust it just how you want it, and for optimum tire life and handling.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
so you're trying to get the more negative camber?
Yes.
i would just leave the stock components intact and drop it then
Well… I already have a complete Skunk2 camber kit. What I wanted to know is if the actual OE UCA’s are shorter than my Skunk2 UCA’s. I'm referring to the rear arms when i say shorter.

You must not know the car I own. Its dropped to hell. My oil pan is on fire son! lol
if you install an adjustable uca for example and run even more camber you will find your car seriously eating up tires.
Misconception that’s starting to sound like pure ignorance. Camber alone does NOT eat tires. Bad toe does. I’ve been running camber on my car for AGES and I thought that’s what was wearing my tires. Till I got my first alignment. And boy was it a DAMN good alignment. They fixed my TOE and I’ve been rocking the same set of Toyos for the past 2 years with NO wear. The wheels are now gone and the new owner couldn’t be happier.

Hey no worries man. Now when you say more camber (+ camber) you are saying that you want the top of your wheels to be out at the top just so you realize. Less camber (- camber) is more desirable because of the increased handling. If you plan on lowering your vehicle then you could leave everything as is and gain - camber but have no adjustability. If you go with a kit then you will have lots of room to adjust it just how you want it, and for optimum tire life and handling.
Ummm…. “-“ = Negative, which = wheels coming in towards the chassis. Which is a natural result of lowering the vehicle. That’s what I need MORE of. regardless how you phrase it I need more negative (-) camber. My car is VERY close to the ground and I’m purchasing a much more aggressive wheel than ive had in the past so I needed to know if I should sell my camber kit and simply get OE arms or if I should just keep it because it’s the best choice to achieve the goal I’m trying to achieve.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would keep the Skunk2 kit. It has more adjustability than you need really. How many degrees of negative camber are you trying to get? And why?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would keep the Skunk2 kit. It has more adjustability than you need really. How many degrees of negative camber are you trying to get? And why?
Yeah you guys helped me to realize that I might need the adjustability just in case. I’m not sure how many degrees I’ll need but with the adjustability aspect of the Skunk2 kit I’ll be able to gauge it with my eyes and then when I get another alignment they can dial in exactly what they need to get me just right. But I need the camber because my wheels are going to be less than +20 and I want it to fit perfectly.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah okay. Good decision on keeping the kit, it's better in the long run.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Misconception that’s starting to sound like pure ignorance. Camber alone does NOT eat tires. Bad toe does. I’ve been running camber on my car for AGES and I thought that’s what was wearing my tires. Till I got my first alignment. And boy was it a DAMN good alignment. They fixed my TOE and I’ve been rocking the same set of Toyos for the past 2 years with NO wear. The wheels are now gone and the new owner couldn’t be happier.
i don't care how perfect your toe is, if you're camber is ridiculously negative you are going to ride with more weight on the inside edge of the tire and that's what is going to wear first. you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out why. some neg camber and a good alignment, you'll be fine. running massive amounts of camber however will lead to irregularly worn tires. end of story
Old 02-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't care how perfect your toe is, if you're camber is ridiculously negative you are going to ride with more weight on the inside edge of the tire and that's what is going to wear first. you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out why. some neg camber and a good alignment, you'll be fine. running massive amounts of camber however will lead to irregularly worn tires. end of story
Lol stop being so angry homie! I stated that camber ALONE doesn’t wear your tires. Now sure if you’re sitting literally on the inner side wall OF COURSE there’s bound to be wear. But if you have enough negative camber and manage to not look like a jackass then perfect toe fixes the world! I hope you’re not the naive type that doesn’t know the wonders of a good alignment. If you are then you have a bit more XP points to attain before you hit Prestige. lol!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha someone enjoys MW2.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Except, it won't.

I ran 2.5 years with -4* of front camber on my DC2. Never had any irregular or uneven wear. SPC UCAs were used to get the camber that far negative, and I only removed them because I got tired of banging the UCAs into the shock towers.

More weight on the inside edge with negative camber would make sense, except that a tire is filled with air, which balances out the weight/pressure over the entire contact patch. If (and only if) the sidewall created the majority of the weight support of the tire, then camber would wear tires, but they don't.

Camber wearing tires unevenly is right up there with so many other old automotive "wives' tales", like "warped rotors" and "you need back pressure for torque". Let these wrong ideas from the 60s die already, it's 2010.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha someone enjoys MW2.
lol! that **** took over my life!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha i hear you. It's very addictive.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man screw that game lol. some people are seriously wayyyy too good. its kinda sad really. i'd probably be better if i hadn't been a pc gamer for so long :/
Old 02-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man screw that game lol. some people are seriously wayyyy too good. its kinda sad really. i'd probably be better if i hadn't been a pc gamer for so long :/
what system do you play on?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you're trying to get the more negative camber? i would just leave the stock components intact and drop it then. if you install an adjustable uca for example and run even more camber you will find your car seriously eating up tires.
I would have to definately disagree with this statement. In thus lowering a vehicle its whole suspension geometry changes either increasing toe in or out and giving negative camber. Your tires are mostly eaten by TOE In or Out too much not Camber. You can actually go about 1 to 2 degrees safely with camber without crazy tire wear. Most people think that when they lower their vehicles that the tires are worn out due to the camber but. But those people would actually be the ones that didnt recieve a performance alignment that helps adjust the change in toe in or out.

To the OP. A aftermarket Upper Control Arm like Skunk2 Offers great adjustment of camber for negative and positive attributes. It will offer a lot more adjustment than OEM even if your vehicle is "slammed"
Old 02-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by StreetRacinThug
It will offer a lot more adjustment than OEM even if your vehicle is "slammed"
Yeah, it will offer a bunch of dents in your shock tower. Skunk2 is the worst for that, especially on slammed cars like dirty's.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thelate1
Yeah, it will offer a bunch of dents in your shock tower. Skunk2 is the worst for that, especially on slammed cars like dirty's.
i can attest to that! lolz! FINALLY someone that knows the car! i havent seen a H-T OG in a minute! i leave to mod my Lexus for a quick second and here came a boatload of 08-09 Join dates. i feel like im on Pandora with all the blue people!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pics of said low car? Lol. And mw2 rocks. Haven't played it recently cuz I got forza3 now but I occationally jump on it.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what system do you play on?

Quick Reply: ***Camber Question! YES... CAMBER***