Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

$1400 Build Thread EG Hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post $1400 Build Thread EG Hatchback

This is the story of my 93 Honda Civic CX Riced out Hatchback I bought from my girlfriends family for $1400. Basically I got it from my girlfriends sisters Dad who was the original owner. Car was California Owned it's whole life, had a Z6 swapped in at unknown miles. At one point & time, there was a short in the wiring which caught the under dash on fire resulting in it being replaced with an EF ashtray bezel. Odometer read 220xxx when I got it, who knows how much the swap had on it, still running fine, just getting horrible gas mileage. 23/24 MPG as of late.. anyways, barely turned 16, had bought the car with birthday & christmas savings over the years. Came with no carpet, weird unknown guage cluster, ricer tails, unknown coilovers all around, 6K HID's, Integra seats, clear corners, intermittent speedo, no power steering, & blue tinted rear & hatch windows.. ugly, yes I know. Up to this day I still have the stupid blue tint on because I haven't found the time to find someone to tint them. Up to this day, the upgrades I have done to it have been pretty minor, but all helping the cars cosmetics. About one month into owning the car, some dipshit backed into me. Fucked my hood, passenger side headlight, corner, & bent my fender inward about 2 CM. Got all that but the hood replaced so far. Got a temporary replacement carpet for it about 2 months into owning it. Got OEM corners for free from a local pick-n-pull. 3 months into owning it, clutch died, bought replacement kit for it, less than 700 miles into it, slipping already. Luckily my girlfriend's mom is the manager of the auto shop on base here where I live, so I get a lot of my harder jobs done there no problem. My lady is real helpful too, she probably knows a lot more about the auto world than I do considering she was raised by parents who were mechanically inclined. I, on the other hand, barely got into the auto enthusiast world about a year ago. Anyways, so far I've ditched the ricer tails, blue shift ****, intake, broken cluster, ditched ef center console, trading rims for some fat five teg rims with some $ on top, & working on getting Cruise Control installed. On the wishlist for this whip is a H2B swap, Rear & hatch Limo Tint, 33% front sides tint, new hood, Mean Green paintjob, front & rear lip, & a nice sound system. But yeah, pretty much it for right now.. Will update as I go along with upgrades. Sorry for lacking pre restoration pics as I'm new to the Honda World & Honda Tech. Feel free to help out with some minor problems I'm having like a mentioned.. Like the gas mileage, & my rear hatch window being really loose.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $1400 Build Thread EG Hatchback

Not trying to be rude but dude you get good gas millage. Hop into a truck or tahoe and you will cry lol. I used to dd my 2dr tahoe and was lucky to get past 10mpg normal around 5mpg. Looks like a decent project. How is blue tint legal? Especially in comunistfornia. I see its got aftermarket header does it has a good cat back exhaust or just a header?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also cover up the plate and blur it out if you don't want it stolen. Hondas are the #1 stolen car in America and in Arizona people are crazy. I was in Phoenix for a month last year on base and yea they are nuts
Old 07-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You've clean it up a fair bit I would 100% ditch that blue wheel and the 3 gauges and blue tin obv. other then that no too bad looking considering gotta get some interior pieces but a lot of what you need can be found at a pick n pull(junk yard) for cheap. lucky that you have the use of a shop+lift black rims wouldn't hurt either imo. gl w/build.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in a pretty small city in arizona.. it wont' get stolen, I have a pretty high end viper alarm it came with too so that helps. But yah, as far as right now my main goals are getting a new hood & tinting the windows.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By the way, this project is not mommy & daddy funded. I have my own ways of making some cash here & there usually installing stereo systems.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Compared to a Tahoe that might be great, but he's right, for an eg hatch that mpg is not where it should be. I have a 93 dx hatch that around 190,XXX before I swapped out the stock motor I was averaging 35 - 37 mpg with almost strictly city driving.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the Integra fat 5's today! Gonna drop it about it an inch since it sits on 14's now. I'm loving the new look!
Old 07-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Master Ninja

Pretty clean shell other then a few scratches and paint dings. Interested in seeing this build good luck.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

his build ideas describe my most recent build lol, which i finished and have sold
Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got my fat five's recently, & dropped my coilovers about 2 inches. I'm loving the new look, it's really getting up there with my expectations cosmetically. Only thing left for the cosmetics is a front & rear lip, tint, new hood, & amber corners & I'll be set! I do have a few quick questions tho, my hatch lately has been reaking of rich fuel mixture, I'm guessing it might be bad O2 or clogged cat or possibly both. I'm gonna order an ebay test pipe soon just to test it, but my o2 sensor is literally caked with layers of oil & just nasty crud ****. Any advice? I'm gonna do a full tune up soon, (cap, rotor, wires, plugs) would do fuel filter, but I just replaced that recently. Next question is my steering is a lot harder than usual. When I first got the car, it had no power steering, so I just let it be since it's not too bad since it's such a light car. But, my issue now is that it's got significantly stiffer. When I was dropping the car today, I noticed that my rack boots are almost gone. Just about, & it looks like no lubrication in there anymore. I can take more detailed pictures tomorrow, but it can wait. Yeah, pretty much it. More updates soon. Please reply to thread asap with some advice for my questions if possible.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In my opinion, I would consider upgrading the suspension a little more before dropping it 2 inches. If you still have the stock shocks then you will wear them out much faster with anything more than a 1" drop. Especially if they have high miles. Do some reading on basic suspension threads and you'll see what I mean. And if I missed somewhere above that it already has aftermarket suspension I apologize, I simply did not see it. Really nice looking hatch. If it was mine I would be looking to trade the rest of those blue interior pieces and the gauge pillar for oem honda stuff, buts that's just me, I love the clean factory look. I really like how the fat fives look compared to the other rims. H2b is a great idea if you have the budget, but a b series is almost a direct swap so if money is tight, look at going that route. I'm not fluent with HID's but if they are the good ones, you could maybe find someone who has an Ls motor and some factory headlights laying around they would want to trade. If you haven't noticed, I'm very pro bartering. Everyone has something in their garage they don't need that someone else wants. If done correctly, you could do an ls swap with a small turbo for just a little bit more than an h2b and it would make more power and be a lot more fun to drive. It would take awhile to piece everything together and get good deals but it's definitely possible. Good luck with build. I like where this is headed.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and I missed your two questions. 1: do a full tune up, and replace the o2 sensor. A test pipe with exhaust on a d series is pointless power wise. It will just be loud and cost you more in the long run in tickets. 2: see my original post about basic suspension threads. Everyone just wants to toss in a motor swap and ignore the suspension. That's okay for driving in straight lines everywhere but if you want it to handle better than a brick on wheels,upgrade the entire suspension down to the bushings. It will handle much better and clear up your issues from worn out parts. Remember a honda motor can go to 200k+ miles easily if it's maintained properly. The suspension is the same way.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by EgHatchy96
By the way, this project is not mommy & daddy funded. I have my own ways of making some cash here & there usually installing stereo systems.
If your stereo installation skill is as messy as the wires under the dash, you might want to RECONSIDER. It doesn't look too convincing you know what you're doing.

LOSE the:
worthless gauges, gauge pod, eBay steering wheel and seat covers.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EgHatchy96
ditched ef center console
Do you realize that based on the 1st pics of this "ef center console" you ditched was actually a nice jdm eg optional console that goes for a pretty penny?
Old 07-17-2013, 08:32 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut-CTR
Do you realize that based on the 1st pics of this "ef center console" you ditched was actually a nice jdm eg optional console that goes for a pretty penny?
WRONG. It was a factory option available for the US market. The JDM one has the cigarette lighter plug on the left side instead of the right. I bought one from a US eBay seller a few years back for my Civic hatchback.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NVturbo
WRONG. It was a factory option available for the US market. The JDM one has the cigarette lighter plug on the left side instead of the right. I bought one from a US eBay seller a few years back for my Civic hatchback.
Neat...small details haha. Didnt think to look at the cig lighter. Regardless, dont know why op ditched it?