Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

$1,000 to spend on upgrades. What do you suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $1,000 to spend on upgrades. What do you suggest?

I have a 2000 Si. Its got a cold air intake, Skunk2 fuel rail, Megan header, and Megan muffler. (It came with the muffler, I didn't put it on.) What upgrades do you think would be the best for my current money limit?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: $1,000 to spend on upgrades. What do you suggest? (DanteUrban)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DanteUrban &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 2000 Si. Its got a cold air intake, Skunk2 fuel rail, Megan header, and Megan muffler. (It came with the muffler, I didn't put it on.) What upgrades do you think would be the best for my current money limit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

any suspension done yet? Spend most of it on security, DEI alarms with autolock and club.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no suspension mods? fail.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:45 PM

haha i used to have the si that car is nasty yeah what are you trying to do with the car make it look good or trying to go fast...?
maybe do a flywheel and a clutch and some pulleys,upgrade to a skunk 2 manifold
cams
Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bodykit that doesnt fit your car and aluminum wing. honestly if you dump that money into that power plant you will no doubt be happy. never go for handling first or show. upgrade parts of the engine first then react and decide what suspenion you want to get etc... to suit the needs of that power plant. this is just from my personal experiances. its what counts on the inside. i hope i dont get flamed for this.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (moz92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moz92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bodykit that doesnt fit your car and aluminum wing. honestly if you dump that money into that power plant you will no doubt be happy. never go for handling first or show. upgrade parts of the engine first then react and decide what suspenion you want to get etc... to suit the needs of that power plant. this is just from my personal experiances. its what counts on the inside. i hope i dont get flamed for this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

let the flaming begin....
Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would do suspension first if anything...
Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (moz92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moz92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bodykit that doesnt fit your car and aluminum wing. honestly if you dump that money into that power plant you will no doubt be happy. never go for handling first or show. upgrade parts of the engine first then react and decide what suspenion you want to get etc... to suit the needs of that power plant. this is just from my personal experiances. its what counts on the inside. i hope i dont get flamed for this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah buy the gay body kit, and dont make your car fast, and make sure you dont lower it...

but if you have a grand, i would definitely do suspension even throw some cams into the motor or if you forget all that, go for some boost
Old 06-17-2008, 03:53 AM

why does everyone need help spending their money!?

BUGGIN
Old 06-17-2008, 04:43 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (greenwallseries)

You should buy pot and sell it. And then upgrade to coke. Then crack.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:49 AM

Default Re: (aquabob89)

Go get a alarm. Without that your just setting your self up for the next guy to steal..
Old 06-17-2008, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Suspension, Cams, put a lip on it if anything.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DanteUrban &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 2000 Si. Its got a cold air intake, Skunk2 fuel rail, Megan header, and Megan muffler. (It came with the muffler, I didn't put it on.) What upgrades do you think would be the best for my current money limit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't see the benefit of the fuel rail other than for show if it has stock injectors and nothing else done to the motor. The header is a nice addition with the muffler so you have the intake and exhaust figured out. If I were you I'd get myself some decent lowering springs and maybe some nicer 16" wheels if you hadn't done that yet. You could spend $1000 on go fast parts and not really be happy. You can't piece together a reliable turbo kit and tune for $1000. Usually when we spend money we want to either feel or see the results. The suspension is all there. I don't see much need to upgrade there unless you are going to be a hardcore auto-x driver. I think the Si already has it made in the looks department once its lowered a bit. You've already got moderate power, handling, and looks that come with the car. I would also look into getting a hidden kill switch installed. I feel that is more of a theft deterrent than most alarms. I don't see you feeling much of a difference upgrading your suspension then that of a person who has no suspensions mods like me who has a '96 hatchback with no sway bars or suspension mods other than lowering springs.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $1,000 to spend on upgrades. What do you suggest? (SeVeNisOnE)

I/H/E will get you from 138ish to 145ish whp. IMO I'd go with coilovers (GC/Koni) w/ a 22mm rear sway/brace combo.

Do a search on N/A builds and you will see how little hp they add. Plenty of people with stage 1 cams, all the bolt ons and got to 152ish tuned.

The Si is a blast to drive with the above listed suspension mods, an LSD would be a perfect finish sometime down the road.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 AM

Default Re: $1,000 to spend on upgrades. What do you suggest? (AussieR)

I guess I don't really get the point of doing a lot of suspension work. I don't try to take cornors as fast as I can. I don't think my car needs to be lowered. I don't speed every where I go. Out of all those posts the only thing that I saw that actually made me think was the alarm. I was wanting more power upgrades.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:07 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DanteUrban &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess I don't really get the point of doing a lot of suspension work. I don't try to take cornors as fast as I can. I don't think my car needs to be lowered. I don't speed every where I go. Out of all those posts the only thing that I saw that actually made me think was the alarm. I was wanting more power upgrades.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well dude trust me, SECURITY should be the first penny you spend and whatever you have left after that, than i'd suggest maybe some bling factor if you're not into going fast and taking corners at high speeds... Although suspension isn't just for cornering ya know... I had complete skunk2 suspension and my car driving straight was noticeably different... Felt like my moms new lex an she's still making payments hahaha... But yeah man definitely go security first, and not no bullshit lil one-way remote "beep beep" im talking like some serious alarm quality type ****... My car just got jacked last month an after about $10k of investing it sucks to walk out now and look at my 100% stock hatch that i just had to buy since my car was completely stripped/gutted... So yeah bro once i get some cash a sick *** alarm is my first option, dunno if you care that much about gettin your **** jacked but its a shitty feeling man, makes u feel hopeless of ever getting back to where you once were.. And in my car that was mid 12's in a turbo single cam coupe... GL
Old 06-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $1,000 to spend on upgrades. What do you suggest? (1CaMw0nDeR)

You don't want suspension since you don't "take corners as fast as you can", in that case rule out power upgrades also since you will want to drive faster. Last time I checked there aren't many 1/4 mile strips when I do my daily driving. Unless you plan on tracking this car everyday buy some security or suspension. Security first I would hope, I hate seeing a new "My EM1 was stolen @ (insert where you live)". I would sell the fuel rail, makes no sense to have it, stock is great for your car, shiny parts dont make the car faster and you can use the money for better stuff.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:31 AM

get some cams and manifold imo... or suspension just figure which way you want to go
Old 06-17-2008, 08:51 AM

my opinion.

expensive *** alarm/
tight *** system,
slam on some rotas.
an a honda-tech.com sticker. an call it a day
Old 06-17-2008, 09:03 AM

Default Re: (vdawg559)

What kind of alarm system do you suggest?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:04 AM

Default Re: $1,000 to spend on upgrades. What do you suggest? (4doorek96)

Go get a alarm.. I have a Clifford. Lowjack,smart windows,blah blah ,blah it has everything. Lets say you got everything else but the alarm. I kno u want to show it off at a honda meet or something. And I bet there's dudes at those meets looking for cars without alarms. Soo now they see your car. All they have 2 do now is wait till u sleep.
sooooooo
If you don't got super hearing and spider senses I would get a clifford.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alarm, Stealth install with backup battery and horn....with pager....minimal. or get lowjack. Car boot. club...kill switches..., detachable steering wheel (NRG). 357 Magnum. Pitbull. u name it....u drive a thief magnet the more security the better.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:20 AM

Default Re: (SinsEvil666)

What about Viper alarms?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 AM

Default Re: (DanteUrban)

They're DEI brand as well, same as Python, Clifford, Hornet, and some others.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Davus)

You need a stereo..... some 15:subs... and tinted windows yo!

Quick Reply: $1,000 to spend on upgrades. What do you suggest?