Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

$The Value Thread$ What's It Worth? Should I Buy? What's the Cost?

Old 10-14-2015, 11:11 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Element Equipment Civic V

Hey. I'm recently dismantled from my car element of equipment, is rear window curtain. Can anyone help me, is such element was the original in Honda Civic V EJ1 (1996)? What is price for it?
http://zapodaj.net/images/1fc54f56c201d.jpg
http://zapodaj.net/images/61f241f44bb26.jpg
Old 10-17-2015, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dilemma.. Civic Owner

Heey guys, I could really use some advice. Its been 3 weeks now that i've been looking daily for a Civic to my liking, I found one. I've made contact and the owner says that the 99' civic with 170k KM / 100k Miles.... And he says that the car has only had 3 owners, while RDW, the dutch site for car information and APK (Yearly Check), clearly states that it has had 5 owners since its release in 1999. What do I do? The guy is a car mechanic, so i've really had in my mind that he's been ******* with the amount of miles the car has, but is it relatively easy to do so?

Worth or no?

Please give me your inputs!
Old 10-17-2015, 10:32 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: $The Value Thread$ What's It Worth? Should I Buy? What's the Cost?

Are two of those "owners" dealerships? That might explain the confusion.

If your system is anything like it is in America, when it was re-registered, the odometer reading should have been recorded. If it was, then there's an easy way to see if the current owner might be ******* with the odometer.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B20VtecVillain
Agree on both counts! Take this advice people and save yourself some money. To the 93 hatch potential buyer, that thing sounds like a nightmare. Buy it for what it's worth as a shell, as in, pretend you know for a fact that motor and trans are junk, and bid on the chassis itself. You didn't mention which B18 it had either. Especially if it's just a run of the mil B18a/b and LS tranny, which in perfect running condition is maybe $600-700 package, and you don't know the status, just tell yourself from the gate it's dead and don't risk your hard earned cash.
As for the person selling their old Civic cuz it needs a head gasket, is the rest of your car mechanically sound? Any other car you get for under $4-5000 is going to be questionable at best. The car you have you already know the history and said you have maintained it very well. A lot of people selling cars for a few thousand dollars do not keep up on their cars for ****. If all your car needs is a head gasket, spend $45 on an OEM Honda, grab your Haynes manual and get to work. If you haven't done it yet, this would be a good time to do your water pump and timing belt as well. At the end of the day, your not gonna get **** for your car as it sits, maybe a grand or 1200 and then what are you gonna buy? Someone else's clapped out nightmare is what. Keep it and fix it until you have the funds to buy something that is truly better

ive restored a 76 mustang that sat in my grandparents garage for 20 years so i know the usual routine that's involved with getting a car "run" again, but what about these hondas? any tips? anything different? im looking at buying a cheaper, on along these lines as a project, civic hatch to wrench on while i drive my daily to hopefully sell it and have a honda to drive right after so i dont have to shop around for a new car. aka winter project...

about the specific one im after, the owner (did i mention is a really good friend of mine?) claims 3rd gear grinds, i hear that's a problem with these b series trannys. the ecu is for an automatic so the check engine light is always on, a couple broken valve cover studs in the head, etc. i believe it is the standard 1.8 b18a. how hard is it to rebuild one of these engines? ive done dirt bike engines before, 2 stroke top ends, to head gaskets and valve adjustments on 4 stroke and feel pretty comfortable with doing all that.

others on local classifieds are not far from this one.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sharpie11
ive restored a 76 mustang that sat in my grandparents garage for 20 years so i know the usual routine that's involved with getting a car "run" again, but what about these hondas? any tips? anything different? im looking at buying a cheaper, on along these lines as a project, civic hatch to wrench on while i drive my daily to hopefully sell it and have a honda to drive right after so i dont have to shop around for a new car. aka winter project...

about the specific one im after, the owner (did i mention is a really good friend of mine?) claims 3rd gear grinds, i hear that's a problem with these b series trannys. the ecu is for an automatic so the check engine light is always on, a couple broken valve cover studs in the head, etc. i believe it is the standard 1.8 b18a. how hard is it to rebuild one of these engines? ive done dirt bike engines before, 2 stroke top ends, to head gaskets and valve adjustments on 4 stroke and feel pretty comfortable with doing all that.

others on local classifieds are not far from this one.
The third gear grind is usually because of worn sunchros in the trans. This usually only happens when shifting at high RPM. If the trans grinds going into third all the time, I would definitely check into it further. As for rebuilding, a basic overhaul is not hard at all on a B series. You would just buy a rebuild kit, my suggestion is always OeM Honda bearings, gaskets etc. Once the block is stripped you can check out the cyl walls and then with a variable speed drill and cyl hone attachment that can be picked up at any auto store you can crosshatch the bore and prepare for new rings. I also like to completely disassemble the head and solvent blast/clean it as well. Valves can be reused if healthy but I like to use all new retainers, stems, seals, etc. A full overhaul for a B18a/B can be done at home for under $500. As for the ECU, I would get a 5 speed ECU ASAP. There's no way to tell if another issue arises with a sensor or other component of the check engine light stays on 24/7. Also have you hooked the vehicle up to a decent scan tool to see that the only code is indeed for the lack of auto trans? I would make sure to run a diagnostic on it as well. Also check for leaks, drive the car at various speeds/loads and listen for noises and feel for imperfections. Also what is the price on this hatch? There is a super clean EG si with VTEC B18 power, and LSD trans and no mechanical issues for like $5000 on this forum, so i would only pay half that or less for the hatch your describing.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The third gear grind is usually because of worn sunchros in the trans. This usually only happens when shifting at high RPM. If the trans grinds going into third all the time, I would definitely check into it further. As for rebuilding, a basic overhaul is not hard at all on a B series. You would just buy a rebuild kit, my suggestion is always OeM Honda bearings, gaskets etc. Once the block is stripped you can check out the cyl walls and then with a variable speed drill and cyl hone attachment that can be picked up at any auto store you can crosshatch the bore and prepare for new rings. I also like to completely disassemble the head and solvent blast/clean it as well. Valves can be reused if healthy but I like to use all new retainers, stems, seals, etc. A full overhaul for a B18a/B can be done at home for under $500. As for the ECU, I would get a 5 speed ECU ASAP. There's no way to tell if another issue arises with a sensor or other component of the check engine light stays on 24/7. Also have you hooked the vehicle up to a decent scan tool to see that the only code is indeed for the lack of auto trans? I would make sure to run a diagnostic on it as well. Also check for leaks, drive the car at various speeds/loads and listen for noises and feel for imperfections. Also what is the price on this hatch? There is a super clean EG si with VTEC B18 power, and LSD trans and no mechanical issues for like $5000 on this forum, so i would only pay half that or less for the hatch your describing.
that sounds pretty doable, i also forgot to mention he is selling it as is, so i wont be able to drive it, meaning i would have to tow it home. comes with brand new wheels. i think rotas? its also half painted with truck bed liner too, the original paint was grounded off to a raw metal, but the interior is clean. the car has low miles which is the reason im so interested in this one, others are at least 190,xxx all the way up to 300k but if im going to have to do a rebuild anyways...

last we talked about it he was asking $1000 for it. i (somewhat) offered $800 but no response.

whats a good website i can look at rebuild parts and kits for?
Old 10-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok HT I'm a little torn and in need of opinions. I'm looking at a car for sale-95 GSR

It has a 98+ JDM front with HIDs, clean GSR leather seats, clean interior with lots of Type R add-ons like door cards, steering wheel, shift console etc. Type R cluster. There is like 175k on the body, ~135k on GSR motor with US Type R tranny that has high rev grinds on 3rd n 4th gears. Paint is very good and body is straight with a couple scratches and dings but overall very clean. The area of concern I have is the engine/trans has been in and out of numerous cars, and I was told it uses/leaks about a quart of oil in between oil changes. Clutch is pretty new and a lot of basic suspension has been done such as Coilovers, LCAs, strut bars, etc. some maintenance done recently like fuel pump, plugs, wires, etc but timing belt, water pump etc has not been done in like 5 years so I would do that at a minimum If I get the car. Going to go look at it this weekend and I really like it but im not sure where my bottom line should be. The fact that the tranny grinds and the engine has likely seen lots of hard use makes me want to keep it around 6,500. What do you guys think?
Old 10-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What's an all stock 1993 Civic Si Hatchback going for nowadays?
Old 10-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DC206R
What's an all stock 1993 Civic Si Hatchback going for nowadays?
I'd say depending on condition around 3-4k if really nice. If it's a shitbox then decrease accordingly, but a complete and clean specimen with no rust and decent paint should fetch atleast $3500
Old 10-22-2015, 02:33 PM

$3-4k? rofl sure, if you're high.

$2k if it's in reasonable condition, $2500 if it's in good shape.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
$3-4k? rofl sure, if you're high.

$2k if it's in reasonable condition, $2500 if it's in good shape.
I am a little bit Maybe I was being too generous. What's your feeling on the Teg I mentioned above?
Old 10-22-2015, 02:55 PM

I don't deal with that front clip swap bullshit. Too much "but JDM tax doe" dumbassery involved in pricing them. You wouldn't like my realistic answer.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't deal with that front clip swap bullshit. Too much "but JDM tax doe" dumbassery involved in pricing them. You wouldn't like my realistic answer.
We probably think pretty similarly about it then actually. That's why I'm so confused, I like the way it looks and it's a beautiful car, but I'm much more concerned with how it runs and performs. Not really too thrilled about paying extra for "stock" JDM mods but it's so hard to find a clean swapped Honda around my area that's not all gutted and shitted out, or stanced etc. Id actually prefer a stock body with a fresh, clean, Swap and spend 6-7k on that but I can't find many.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:54 PM

Rule #1: Never buy another man's project. If you want a clean, swapped car, put one together yourself.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:33 PM
The Credible Hulk

Rear hatch plastics. Near mint. One crack as shown in pic. Left goes for $147 new rght is discontinued. I've been asking $150 and getting a lot of interest but everyone flakes last minute usually because of shipping.

These are totally worth $150... RIGHT? I don't mind waiting for someone local just wondering if everyone thinks I'm in the right ballpark.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:47 PM

Eh...$150 seems reasonable, but how much is shipping actually gonna cost on those?
Old 10-23-2015, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We probably think pretty similarly about it then actually. That's why I'm so confused, I like the way it looks and it's a beautiful car, but I'm much more concerned with how it runs and performs. Not really too thrilled about paying extra for "stock" JDM mods but it's so hard to find a clean swapped Honda around my area that's not all gutted and shitted out, or stanced etc. Id actually prefer a stock body with a fresh, clean, Swap and spend 6-7k on that but I can't find many.
Integra is sadly not gonna happen. Bottom dollar for the owner was $7200 and I just can't go that much on a high mileage B series 95 Integra, no matter how much JDM love it has lol. Pitty though, if anyone is interested in that kind of a piece though it's in our for sale area. It's definately nice, but I just can't justify the cost for my personal needs at this time.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:16 PM

That's exactly the JDM tax bullshit I'm talking about. Failing motor, failing transmission, that car isn't worth more than $2k to a sane human being. Unfortunately, because it has the JDM front clip, it's somehow magically worth four times that.

Because some dipshit bought some **** and welded it on.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's exactly the JDM tax bullshit I'm talking about. Failing motor, failing transmission, that car isn't worth more than $2k to a sane human being. Unfortunately, because it has the JDM front clip, it's somehow magically worth four times that.

Because some dipshit bought some **** and welded it on.
Exactly, I pointed out the issues it had and still made a very high offer and the response was that he has babied it for 3 years and so the trans and engine is fine, despite the issues that are clearly present. This is why I've never bought a swap car before, only built them. I just don't have the time right now because I need a daily and I will not be happy at all driving a stock Honda Civic everyday. I don't necessarily like these cars for what they are stock, I like them for what they can be. Thus, I'm looking for a clean daily with a healthy swap. Fun, good on gas, reliable, easy and pretty inexpensive to maintain. These are all just my opinions of course. Oh well, gonna have to drive a few hours but I I found a really clean EG that looks like it's going to work out so fingers crossed lol.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hell, I can get a legit Type R in the same condition as this GSR for a few thousand more than he wants. I have seen GSRs with super clean K swaps go for the asking price on his high mile B series GSR. Also, it's USDM ITR
LSD S80 trans In it that has grinds in 3rd and 4th. The dual synchro Type R trans are usually butter smooth, so for it to have those grinds it definately has seen a lot of hard shifting over its life. Couple that with a 130k+ GSR motor that's dirty and consumes and/or leaks oil and a 95 GSR chassis and I don't cAre how much JDM stuff it has, that doesn't make it worth over 7 thousand dollars lol. Oh well, I tried.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:44 AM
The Credible Hulk

Eh...$150 seems reasonable, but how much is shipping actually gonna cost on those?
Shipping is like $200!! It's light but the box is HUGE! I'm likely gonna have to sell them local to make it worth it.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Rule #1: Never buy another man's project. If you want a clean, swapped car, put one together yourself.
Words of wisdom! My car is my first Honda and it's got a lot of things I like about it, but it needs a lot more work than I expected.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
Shipping is like $200!! It's light but the box is HUGE! I'm likely gonna have to sell them local to make it worth it.
That's...wow, holy ****. There's gotta be a better way to ship those, then - When I bought my Acura EL door cards, I got them for $350 shipped. From Canada. I'm sure the guy made more than a hundred bucks off me, considering everything he included, and the rarity of the parts.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
Have you checked Greyhound bus? They'll transport large items like that to the nearest bus station.

I shipped a Mugen hardtop for my S2k for less than that via UPS freight.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:46 PM

Yep, when I bought my CTR transmission, it came via Greyhound. Not too expensive, but obnoxiously slow, and no tracking worth mentioning. If I didn't know the guy I bought it from, I might have been more than a little unhappy about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $The Value Thread$ What's It Worth? Should I Buy? What's the Cost?