Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

$The Value Thread$ What's It Worth? Should I Buy? What's the Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on getting an EK9

Would like to get some info from people who have owned a real EK9 in the USA. Would like to know the price range if you don't mind sharing. Also any tricks and tips on how you did it. Looking to buy one but I see it's nearly impossible.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Info on getting an EK9

Originally Posted by JSpears24
Would like to get some info from people who have owned a real EK9 in the USA. Would like to know the price range if you don't mind sharing. Also any tricks and tips on how you did it. Looking to buy one but I see it's nearly impossible.
14-17k easily.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $The Value Thread$ What's It Worth? Should I Buy? What's the Cost?

I'm looking at a 2000 Civic HX soon, in northern CA. 5spd, silver, 135k miles, one-owner, minimal blemishes, clean interior. NO A/C or cruise.

No word on timing belt or water pump yet, just routine oil and brake changes.

Asking price is $3500, what do you think?
Old 02-23-2015, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Figit090
I'm looking at a 2000 Civic HX soon, in northern CA. 5spd, silver, 135k miles, one-owner, minimal blemishes, clean interior. NO A/C or cruise.

No word on timing belt or water pump yet, just routine oil and brake changes.

Asking price is $3500, what do you think?
Remember this car has virtually zero features so take that into account here. If its in as good of shape and you don't mind sweating in the summer then go all in at 3k.. Tops
Old 02-23-2015, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Info on getting an EK9

Originally Posted by JSpears24
A guy that I see weekly bought one for $10,500 that needed body work and paint and overall wasn't clean.. The price on a rare car is up to what someone is willing to pay/let it go for. Kinda hard to set a price precisely or even broadly.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:55 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ek9_beast
Remember this car has virtually zero features so take that into account here. If its in as good of shape and you don't mind sweating in the summer then go all in at 3k.. Tops
So, first off, we're talking about an HX, which is it's own little gem. Second off, we're talking about California.

Figit090, if it's clean, maintained properly, and passes SMOG, the seller could get $5k for it. Even if the timing belt and water pump haven't been done, if it passes SMOG, I'd hop on that **** in a second at $3500 and do the belt and pump my damn self. Just realize that it's an economy car. Don't buy it if you want a project - buy it, enjoy the 45+ MPG you'll get, take care of it, and drive it until it dies, another decade from now. If you want a project car, or want something to make go fast, find something else.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
So, first off, we're talking about an HX, which is it's own little gem. Second off, we're talking about California.

Figit090, if it's clean, maintained properly, and passes SMOG, the seller could get $5k for it. Even if the timing belt and water pump haven't been done, if it passes SMOG, I'd hop on that **** in a second at $3500 and do the belt and pump my damn self. Just realize that it's an economy car. Don't buy it if you want a project - buy it, enjoy the 45+ MPG you'll get, take care of it, and drive it until it dies, another decade from now. If you want a project car, or want something to make go fast, find something else.
Northern California and the gas mileage is a plus but again no features so if its gonna be a daily and mileage over features is your thing, then its the car for you.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've asked on an eco forum but felt coming here would have more replies relevant to my area. Thanks for your feedback. I'm planning to install the A/C parts myself for under $300 if possible, looks like the parts are available as a set used.

Originally Posted by NotARacist

Yeah, I've had a hard time finding a nice one, but the more I look the more I realize they aren't as rare as I thought. BUT....they are slightly less common in good shape, and quite uncommonly for sale (except when three cruddy ones popped up at once near me). I do think 5k is high even for bay-area prices though? I don't mean to refute your advice, it's just that most I've seen are $3500-$4k unless from a dealer.

I found out that the car has not had a fresh timing belt or water pump, so that would be immediately done after purchase. I'm hoping I can talk him down since there's no A/C, but especially, and mainly because of the belt. Any tips on a fair offer due to the $600 parts/labor for a new belt would be appreciated. I feel like offering $2900 or $3k would be fair, seeing how it should have had the belt done at least 10-30k miles ago.

Pictures should come my way soon, hopefully it's as good as it sounds and the dents are minor. If I drive an eco-civic I at least want it to look nice.

Thanks for your tips!

Northern California and the gas mileage is a plus but again no features so if its gonna be a daily and mileage over features is your thing, then its the car for you.
I'm not sure what features I'd really want. It's a two-door so central locking isn't a huge thing, power windows are stock, and good gas mileage is obtained best without cruise control. I could potentially buy that actuator as well... Not sure what DX/LX/EX civics carry as options but I'm ok with adding options or going without them...40mpg will get me further, which counts for a lot.

I have a supra which is full of creature comforts but it's also a 1987, and had many owners, so most of them have failed....and I'm used to it. For a while I had to get in the passenger side because my window was jammed in a position that required shutting the door from the outside to prevent a bad window leak! You won't see anyone get into the driver's seat from the wrong side of a supra like I can. LOL. thanks for your weigh-in on the price.

Last edited by Figit090; 02-24-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Funny. I actually saw two hx in MD yesterday but they were beat just like most civics. I think we're at 2800-3000 as you said since its in good shape. Just point out the fact that you have to put a good $800 atleast getting the belt and other possible issues with older cars such as axle boots, wheel bearing, brakes and the a/c(although its not supposed to have it but its 2015 and people want it). Use flaws to talk it down basically WITHOUT insulting the guy.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Need someone to shine Some light.

I'm looking to buy a civic found a 99 ek for sale near me they want 2k has 173k miles.

Here's the description car on ad. Lmk if its worth looking into.

lowered on manzo drop springs 2" front, 1.75 rear(nice drop not too low),4-1 headers, intake,rear BWR control arms+subframe

Also has music. And si rims

I know bwr isn't good I plan to swap all that out for function7 if I do purchsse. It is my first civic / 5 speed / lowere cars so I'm looking to gain exp. .

Thanks I will share pic shortly. I've been looking at civics this one has a decent body.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:23 AM

First off, EJ6, not EK. Second off, what's up with all of that yellow **** splattered all over the left side of the bay?

I guarantee you that thing has been ridden hard, and hung up wet. That being said, if it's completely up-to-date on all maintenance items, even with the rough exterior, $2k would be reasonable. If, like I suspect, it hasn't been maintained (or has been maintained to the level you'd expect of someone who puts an SRI on a Y7, BWR ****, and no-name garbage springs on what one can only assume are stock shocks), I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for it.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
First off, EJ6, not EK. Second off, what's up with all of that yellow **** splattered all over the left side of the bay?

I guarantee you that thing has been ridden hard, and hung up wet. That being said, if it's completely up-to-date on all maintenance items, even with the rough exterior, $2k would be reasonable. If, like I suspect, it hasn't been maintained (or has been maintained to the level you'd expect of someone who puts an SRI on a Y7, BWR ****, and no-name garbage springs on what one can only assume are stock shocks), I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for it.
thanks a lot bro.
im not going to waste my time on it at all. im going to instead hold off on it and aim more towards a stock one. its been listed for a while i'd wait another 2-3 weeks and throw him a low offer. once again thanks a lot .

one more thing ur sig i love it lol had me rolling

i got much more reading to do up on these forums this community is great
Old 02-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm looking at a B swap that comes with everything but the t bracket and axles and just wanted to know what the cost is. It seems like a deal but maybe too good to be true?

GSR Head that looks completely brand new.
GSR cams, new seals and such.
LS Block with CTR pistons/rods
ARP head studs
ACL Main and Rod bearings
Skunk 2 intake manifold
Skunk 2 70mm TB
Wiring harness (not needed but it's extra)
P28 chipped ecu (not needed either but extra ecu is cool)
B16 trans with clutch/flywheel (unknown brand).
421 header (no brand name from what I can tell)
New gates timing belt and I think water/oil pumps were replaced with all gaskets so it's pretty much a rebuild but idk who did the work.

The guy sent me a video of the car running and it sounds good. Real lopey idle and the skunk2 intake manifold and 70mm tb sounds loud lol.

Anyway the guy wants $1650.00 for it. Good deal or too good of a deal?
Old 02-27-2015, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys! I'm back again, still haven't purchased a Honda yet I'm wondering what you guys think of
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4904756600.html

It had a minor crash that didn't seem to do much damage, but I don't know much about that kind of stuff. Just wondering what y'all think of this car. I love the hatch and will most likely end up with one, just want the right one.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:13 PM

Primered front end? The repair looks like it was done well, but no way in hell do you spend three grand on a Civic with multiple colored body panels. Given what's been done to it, it's probably been ridden hard and hung up wet, as well. $2k tops.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Primered front end? The repair looks like it was done well, but no way in hell do you spend three grand on a Civic with multiple colored body panels. Given what's been done to it, it's probably been ridden hard and hung up wet, as well. $2k tops.
I'd definitely pass
Old 03-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. Here's another, 1998 dx hatchback.
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4909402761.html

Does require some exterior work, though I don't have any pictures of the inside. I hope it's in good condition. I'm sure there are things I could bring up to lower the price maybe to 2000 or 1900. It's no automatic. Sadly... But I don't mind. I've never driven a manual anyway and live in a crowded city, so manual isn't really a good choice anyway.

It'll be for daily driving, from house to school and occasionally a 300 mile trip to see family (front and back)

Should I call the seller? It seems like a good deal. I'm sure the body work wouldn't take much to fix. It's well within my budget and I'll have plenty of cash left to repaint or fix whatever goes wrong.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:14 PM

I see three different colors on the exterior, and an intake pulling a scene from The Exorcist. You can do a lot better than that, especially for that price.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ehhhh... cold A/C, if it runs good then it seems like a decent little beater... that is if you don't plan on investing any money to improve its appearance... which I would not do... maybe plasti-dip that POS. haha For a daily commuter car, not bad. For $2200 what do you expect? Pretty much stock, a little damage, cold a/c, and reasonable mileage... could be a fair buy.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fatdicklegend
I'm looking at a B swap that comes with everything but the t bracket and axles and just wanted to know what the cost is. It seems like a deal but maybe too good to be true?

GSR Head that looks completely brand new.
GSR cams, new seals and such.
LS Block with CTR pistons/rods
ARP head studs
ACL Main and Rod bearings
Skunk 2 intake manifold
Skunk 2 70mm TB
Wiring harness (not needed but it's extra)
P28 chipped ecu (not needed either but extra ecu is cool)
B16 trans with clutch/flywheel (unknown brand).
421 header (no brand name from what I can tell)
New gates timing belt and I think water/oil pumps were replaced with all gaskets so it's pretty much a rebuild but idk who did the work.

The guy sent me a video of the car running and it sounds good. Real lopey idle and the skunk2 intake manifold and 70mm tb sounds loud lol.

Anyway the guy wants $1650.00 for it. Good deal or too good of a deal?
Sounds like a ticking time bomb. I would NEVER buy someone else's LS/VTEC setup. Most are hackjobs done by people who cut corners. Without dyno numbers to back it up and without knowing of who did the work I would stay away. Also with stock cams it shouldn't lope at all...
Old 03-04-2015, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tercel95
Sounds like a ticking time bomb. I would NEVER buy someone else's LS/VTEC setup. Most are hackjobs done by people who cut corners. Without dyno numbers to back it up and without knowing of who did the work I would stay away. Also with stock cams it shouldn't lope at all...
Exactly my thoughts. Are you sure the "lope" you hear isn't the car running like ****? It should be nice and smooth
Old 03-04-2015, 01:32 PM

Yeah...a lopy idle with stock internals is either a **** tune, or a **** building job. Run, don't walk, away.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4918456918.html

Thoughts on this hatchback? Should I take a look or pass?

Also how's this 96 ek hatch? http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4901847110.html
Worth the look or pass? I like how it looks... It looks pretty much how I'd like to have a hatchback.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Randy4000
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4918456918.html

Thoughts on this hatchback? Should I take a look or pass?
That...actually doesn't look too bad. I'd give it a look.

Originally Posted by Randy4000
Also how's this 96 ek hatch? 96 EK hatch
Worth the look or pass? I like how it looks... It looks pretty much how I'd like to have a hatchback.
Borderline riced out, probably flogged to ****, no names mentioned on any of the parts, no information on the swap...Newp.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4907717156.html

I spoke to the owner. 120k miles, well maintained. Says it's all stock except Intake manifold, intake, headers and chipped ecu. Thoughts on this one? I think it's worth it.

Quick Reply: $The Value Thread$ What's It Worth? Should I Buy? What's the Cost?