Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

$The Value Thread$ What's It Worth? Should I Buy? What's the Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: $The Value Thread$ What's It Worth? Should I Buy? What's the Cost?

As far as the 98 Auto DX goes...its a 6th Gen auto...the transmissions fail pretty consistently unless well more than due diligence in maintenance was performed from day 1. Nice crack in the front bumper too...no accidents?...well, he hit something. nasty dent in passenger door, missing horn button...and I'm sure there are many other "surprises" to be found... Personally, I wouldnt pay nearly the asking price.

For the Manual Dx...It would greatly depend on the condition of the car when SEEN and inspected/driven. The black primer may just be a cover (as it usually is) for a multitude of body issues. The SINGLE pic is too hazy/grainy for any snap judgement from me.

Either way...D16Y7 engine, basic of basic everything...and as for your budget...either one of these cars will need repairs/paint/maintenance to bring them up to snuff in one form or another, thatll be the rest of your budget taken up. And for what they're asking, there are certainly other hondas around in better shape for a similar range.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MisereNoire
As far as the 98 Auto DX goes...its a 6th Gen auto...the transmissions fail pretty consistently unless well more than due diligence in maintenance was performed from day 1. Nice crack in the front bumper too...no accidents?...well, he hit something. nasty dent in passenger door, missing horn button...and I'm sure there are many other "surprises" to be found... Personally, I wouldnt pay nearly the asking price.

For the Manual Dx...It would greatly depend on the condition of the car when SEEN and inspected/driven. The black primer may just be a cover (as it usually is) for a multitude of body issues. The SINGLE pic is too hazy/grainy for any snap judgement from me.

Either way...D16Y7 engine, basic of basic everything...and as for your budget...either one of these cars will need repairs/paint/maintenance to bring them up to snuff in one form or another, thatll be the rest of your budget taken up. And for what they're asking, there are certainly other hondas around in better shape for a similar range.
Thanks for the response! I'll throw those listings in the dirt then. You've brought up stuff I would've never seen until I took the hellish bike ride to see those vehicles. Thanks. I'll look for better ones tomorrow morning and see what you guys' opinion are.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4795389203.html

What do you guys think? I like the look. Would prefer a hatchback but there's rarely any good ones around my area.
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/4872750222.html
Found this one too.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy4000
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4795389203.html

What do you guys think? I like the look. Would prefer a hatchback but there's rarely any good ones around my area.
Personally if you don't know much about Hondas/Engines in general I don't think a hybrid build such as this would be the best idea for you. There is a lot to look for on these builds that could mean a lot of trouble down the road if overlooked. Also, if you've never even driven a manual trans vehicle before, it also would probably be best for you to learn on a more stock type vehicle.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B20VtecVillain
Personally if you don't know much about Hondas/Engines in general I don't think a hybrid build such as this would be the best idea for you. There is a lot to look for on these builds that could mean a lot of trouble down the road if overlooked. Also, if you've never even driven a manual trans vehicle before, it also would probably be best for you to learn on a more stock type vehicle.
You have a point. I drove manual once though that was in a small truck and I stalled once. So I'll definitely be looking for a stock manual. Just figured I'd save a ton of time and money buying a car with a swap and some other goodies. Thing is I don't know much about cars so that creates a big brick wall in my way. Trying to learn though.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4827670280.html
How about this one? Mostly stock and it seems well maintained
Old 02-02-2015, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's nothing personal against you, but the B20vtec setup is actually a hybrid engine build where components from two different Honda engines are combined together. It was not an engine ever produced by a Honda factory, so if it was not built perfectly you could be in for a variety of headaches and could find yourself with a lot of problems you have no idea how to address. Also stock components at stock power levels will take more of the abuse from your learning to drive the car than a more powerful setup. Odds are until you get used to it you are going to be rough on the clutch and have some hard/shaky launches that would be more easily handled by a vehicle at stock power levels and with stock road manners.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's nothing personal against you, but the B20vtec setup is actually a hybrid engine build where components from two different Honda engines are combined together. It was not an engine ever produced by a Honda factory, so if it was not built perfectly you could be in for a variety of headaches and could find yourself with a lot of problems you have no idea how to address. Also stock components at stock power levels will take more of the abuse from your learning to drive the car than a more powerful setup. Odds are until you get used to it you are going to be rough on the clutch and have some hard/shaky launches that would be more easily handled by a vehicle at stock power levels and with stock road manners.
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4867316217.html
How's this? It's pretty close to breaking the budget and might be able to talk it down to 3000 or 2900. Seems well maintained and all stock engine.

Spoke to the owner.

Me:Hello. Texting in regards to the Honda civic listing on Craigslist. How's the interior of the car? Do you keep records of all maintenance of the car? What has to be replaced in the near future and does anything need immediate attention? Non smoker? How many previous owners? Has the timing belt been changed?

Thank you for your time.

Owners response:Interior really good I only hashtags car for 4 months because I bout a new car nothing need to be replaced none smoker timing belt since I had it no everything works fine you can pass by and take a look at it after work where are you located

Was confused about the hashtags but I figured that means he's only had the car for 4 months?

Last edited by Randy4000; 02-02-2015 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4853687183.html
80k miles clean title for 2600. Idk though, such a low price for a low mile car. Makes me suspicious. Probably had a crash and it wasn't reported.

Than there's http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4846111077.html

126k miles clean title manual transmission for 2100... Can easily talk it down to 1900. What do you think I should choose? Automatic transmission or manual? I live in a crowded city where stopping occurs very often, though I don't mind. Thing is I don't know manual yet, just seen a bunch of videos just haven't had practice.

I don't know much about cars. Mostly just the basics but how much have you put into yours? My max budget is about $3500. What could I do with this? Say I buy the car for $2000. What can I do with what's left?

Thanks for the help guys.
U need to make these decisions on your own needs and it all depends on your purpose of the vehicle. talking someone down that much isn't gonna happen unless there are issues or he's a junkie
Old 02-02-2015, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek9_beast
U need to make these decisions on your own needs and it all depends on your purpose of the vehicle. talking someone down that much isn't gonna happen unless there are issues or he's a junkie
I'm mostly searching for the opinion on the car. The purpose of it is to go to school, home and work and occasionally travel about 300 miles (total going front and back) to visit my father. Maybe once I get another car I'll use it as a project car. For now the purpose would be daily driver and occasionally traveling a little.

Sorry I forgot to mention the purpose of the car. Mostly just looking for an opinon from experienced Honda drivers so I can know what to expect and if the car is in good condition etc.

Thanks for the response. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a stick as the automatic civics have a bad track record and buy it stock and leave it stock. A $3000 92-00 civic can be damn nice with great mileage
Old 02-03-2015, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4850693077.html

What do you guys think? I know I don't know much about parts or how to drive manual but my father was a mechanic for 25 years and still has basically an entire shop in his garage at my disposal. So anything that goes wrong with the car he'll know instantly.

This car looks exactly like I would put my car. I just don't know not even half of the parts he has listed.

My dad's willing to teach me manual once I get the car (I've already got the basics from watching videos... I'm mostly a visual learner anyway.)

I want a fast and reliable car and this one seriously caught my eyes. I'd love to see you guys' input and your opinion on the current state of the car...

I'll ask the poster for a picture of the engine bay

Although I'm more interested in a hatchback and this one seems very nicehttp://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4809984802.html. Bunch of new stuff that I don't know much about though I think I'd enjoy the hatch more than a coupe.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4850693077.html

What do you guys think? I know I don't know much about parts or how to drive manual but my father was a mechanic for 25 years and still has basically an entire shop in his garage at my disposal. So anything that goes wrong with the car he'll know instantly.

This car looks exactly like I would put my car. I just don't know not even half of the parts he has listed.

My dad's willing to teach me manual once I get the car (I've already got the basics from watching videos... I'm mostly a visual learner anyway.)

I want a fast and reliable car and this one seriously caught my eyes. I'd love to see you guys' input and your opinion on the current state of the car...

I'll ask the poster for a picture of the engine bay

Although I'm more interested in a hatchback and this one seems very nicehttp://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4809984802.html. Bunch of new stuff that I don't know much about though I think I'd enjoy the hatch more than a coupe.
Link isn't working buddy
Old 02-03-2015, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Link isn't working buddy
Have to copy and paste. Links don't show up for me for some reason.

miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4809984802.html
Is the hatch. As the coupe is just nice but the hatch is for sure my main interest.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go take a look at it with your dad or someone and if it's in good condition offer him like 3300-3500 and you'd have a great intro car for the Honda & manual transmission world. It looks pretty clean, so if well maintained you can easily get another 100k of joy riding out of that engine, with good fuel economy and a little bit of fun out of it. Especially for a younger or newer driver it will be a lot of fun. It is also a very easy platform to build from and again looks like a clean body from the pics. If it's in good mechanical condition and you like it after driving and looking at it, grab it up & enjoy!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^Talking about the silver metallic 98 EX with 128k and suspension mods, 00 facelift etc. For what your looking for and talking about I think that is the best one you have shown so far for what you specifically are looking for.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^Talking about the silver metallic 98 EX with 128k and suspension mods, 00 facelift etc. For what your looking for and talking about I think that is the best one you have shown so far for what you specifically are looking for.
I agree. The hatch is saying he's replaced stock parts so its certainly not fast but certainly should be reliable ..overpriced if you ask me
Old 02-03-2015, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree. The hatch is saying he's replaced stock parts so its certainly not fast but certainly should be reliable ..overpriced if you ask me
Problem is, the ex is a little over budget. I might be able to get him to lower it a bit, but I'd still be pretty deep.

Also, I spoke to the owner of the hatch. He says the muffler should be replaced, says there might be a puncture and that it's a little loud. So if I do get the hatch I'd have to get a new muffler, which shouldn't be too expensive? Right??

The ex is really nice, but it's a little over budget. I could maybe get the hatch owner to drop it to 3k and considering everything he recently put in it, would save me a pretty penny right? I don't know... Hard to decide, I've been in countless civics considering everyone I know has one, I know for sure the EX has been pushed considering it's a young person. The hatch is adult owned and has matianence records and such.

I think I'll have to go with the hatch, I'll see about scheduling a meeting with the guy.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd pick the hatch(with different wheels lol). A stock muffler at Napa is around $110.. Go see it in person and if you like it get him as low as possible by pointing out its flaws, then get the muffler and enjoy. I've had 7 of this body style civics and 2 have been hatches, I own 2 hatches so I enjoy them much more. They are more roomy inside with the extra back area. I also don't believe anybody so I'm going with the owner is younger. Let me know if my gut is right when you meet him. Lol just remember no hatches came vtec so its not the fastest model civic as is.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock CX is junk for a daily, no creature comforts, buzzy interior, garbage handling, and if your looking for any fun to drive forget it, be prepared to be heavily gapped by Hyundai Elantras all day long. Only good they serve would be for a swap chassis.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock CX is junk for a daily, no creature comforts, buzzy interior, garbage handling, and if your looking for any fun to drive forget it, be prepared to be heavily gapped by Hyundai Elantras all day long. Only good they serve would be for a swap chassis.
I'm going to first enjoy the current engine, as I'm a first time driver and don't know manual well. I'll use the bone stock to my advantage and just push that bitch until I get bored and than I'll upgrade. I'll swap for a b18? I think it was that one, can't remember. I'll plan the build so I know exactly what I need. I don't plan on racing considering it's not worth a ticket or worse. Once I can get a good income I'll start putting work into it.

I consider myself pretty lucky that my father can basically do all maintenance and fix any simple body work. Only downside is that I have to travel 150 miles to see him.

Also.. Should I be worried about the miles on the hatch? It has 142k miles. Though well maintained the owner claims. I'm yet to see it for myself. Do miles really matter when it comes to a well maintained vehicle?
Old 02-04-2015, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4816622509.html

If I could convince my parents to go a little higher... I could get this? What is your opinion on the condition of the car? I love the look, it's really clean and has tons of goodies.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thinking of buying a 4 stroke race kart, but unsure of whether it's worth while to buy or just build my own. The one I'm really looking at is $2400. It is a 370# tube frame with full Fox suspension, brand new wheels with slicks, Baer breaks, and the engine is a Honda GX660.
72x78mm bore/stroke, 22hp/35tq@ 3600, 4200 rpm redline. This is an air cooled OHV vtwin at 688ccs. It has a vertical shaft drive and a custom fabbed 4 speed clutchless manual (Honda based) with Kamikaze shift linkage and Hinson clutch pack. Buy or build?
Old 02-04-2015, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4816622509.html

If I could convince my parents to go a little higher... I could get this? What is your opinion on the condition of the car? I love the look, it's really clean and has tons of goodies.
Wouldn't recommend for your situation and what you want the car for.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thinking of buying a 4 stroke race kart, but unsure of whether it's worth while to buy or just build my own. The one I'm really looking at is $2400. It is a 370# tube frame with full Fox suspension, brand new wheels with slicks, Baer breaks, and the engine is a Honda GX660.
72x78mm bore/stroke, 22hp/35tq@ 3600, 4200 rpm redline. This is an air cooled OHV vtwin at 688ccs. It has a vertical shaft drive and a custom fabbed 4 speed clutchless manual (Honda based) with Kamikaze shift linkage and Hinson clutch pack. Buy or build?
My bosses daughter has one of them things. Definitely fast and fun. I'd buy it cuz hers was $4000 to build

Quick Reply: $The Value Thread$ What's It Worth? Should I Buy? What's the Cost?